Need Help Buying my first ever Home EV Charger

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
ENYAQ60_SE

Post by ENYAQ60_SE »

Hi All,

We are about to be delivered our ENYAQ 60 with an option 100 Kw Charging less than a month. I am doing my research on chargers, would like to get opinions from experienced users. I am looking for a smart, well connected and fast charger.

What brand and power is your charger ?

Thanks in advance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skoda ENYAQ 60 Suite
Quartz Grey Metallic
19" Regulus Anthracite metallic alloy wheels
100 kW - DC battery charging

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi there,

PodPoint for me :-) Relatively inexpensive and comes with an option to set charge times during off peak hours ( I hope ! I don’t have it yet).

There’s another thread here where people have discussed their options:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=231&hilit=PodPoint
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

I've had a PodPoint 7.2kW untethered unit for a few years now - can't fault it at all (well, maybe the status LED is a bit bright). Yes, you can set schedules on the mobile phone app or website, and you can see a history of your charging amounts and costs. Think it took about 2 weeks from ordering to installation, and the installer was very professional (even vacuumed my hallway despite there being minimal dust created from his drilling).

I went for 7.2kW untethered despite owning an Outlander PHEV that only charges at 3.6kW maximum, as it has a Type 1 connector and I knew that I'd be replacing it in a few years (ie about now) with something that used Type 2. Plus it means any visitors can plug in with whatever cable their car uses (admittedly the majority are Type 2 now).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
jamest

Post by jamest »

I've been researching this as well as my car is arriving in a couple of months.

PodPoint seems to be the default brand for a basic "smart" charger. It has some manual scheduling options I think, but isn't as smart as some of the others out there.

The two I ended up focusing on were the Ohme (https://www.ohme-ev.com/) and the Zappi (https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/).

The Ohme is one of the few chargers that has the ability to integrate with the Agile Octopus tariff (https://octopus.energy/agile/), so it can automatically figure out when to charge your car each day to get the cheapest rates (some days the rates even go negative, so you get paid to charge). From what I understand they have the best integration for this kind of smart scheduling. It'll also handle Octopus Go, etc.

The Zappi charger is another that will integrate with Octopus Agile and also your solar panels if you have them. So you could charge off solar if the sun is out, otherwise it will automatically schedule charging to get the cheapest grid energy. They also have a really great and active user forum, and a bunch of other options such as integrating with battery packs, or diverting solar to immersion heaters when you have excess energy, etc.

I've ended up picking the Ohme, partly because my solar array isn't quite powerful enough to justify the Zappi.

If you want the best looking charger that also handles solar, the Andersen (https://andersen-ev.com/) seems to be recommended.
Ordered 17th March 2021, delivered 17th November 2021. Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Moon White Metallic, 100kW, Comfort Seat Package Basic, Family Package Basic, Convenience Package Plus, Drive Sport Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Parking Package Plus.
garden ohm

Post by garden ohm »

I ended up with the Andersen charger.
I live in a conservation area so I was looking for something to fit in neatly and would hide the extra long cable (8.5m) that I needed.

IMG_9004.JPG

Xtopher

Post by Xtopher »

For me it would be the Zappi for the array of options (esp if you have solar, there is a whole eco system of charger (Zappi), solar diverter (Eddi), and a rumour of a battery storage solution). But I do love the look of the Andersen, and if we could have a Andersen x Zappi love child that would be perfect! We've just ordered our Enyaq so wont be getting it any time soon (quoted 17 weeks with a pinch of salt!), but I think we'll end up with the Zappi - as much as I love the look of the Andersen.
Bacarelle

Post by Bacarelle »

Hi;

Like you my 60 Loft has the enhanced 100kWh option and like another member I have solar panels on my house
so I went for the Zappi as it ties in with the solar panels and the App is very informative as regards charging
history, monitoring of the charging process etc. The unit has three settings which allow you to maximise the amount
of electricity drawn from the solar panels by (if necessary) pausing the charge if power consumption in the hose
exceeds the amount of electricity being generated by the solar panels.

After much research I opted for Phoenix Works for the installation - they were efficient, tidy and friendly. They (like me)
are based in Yorkshire but can quote for nationwide installation.

Hope this helps.
JD Fletch

Post by JD Fletch »

Hi all.

First post on here. My Enyaq is turning up in early October.
However I have a Hypervolt 2.0 charger being installed Mid September.

I spent so time looking at different chargers, and had got it down to the
Pod point (simple but does the job well)
Andersen A2 (good looking and great cable storage)
Zappi (a lot of great reviews)
It was then I came across the Hypervolt and reading reviews and problems encountered.
I've got for this as the for the above units
The pod point is smart but not the smartest plus I think the unit looks a little dull.
Andersen tho looks great it is expensive.
The Zappi again not to keen on the looks plus I don't have solar, so its main selling point is wasted on me.
The Hypervolt looks good, is smarter enough for my use, and you can get the solar to tie it in, and the cost is good.

Of course these are my thoughts and I know it might not gel with everyone
ENYAQ60_SE

Post by ENYAQ60_SE »

Thanks All,

@JD Fletch
HYPER-volt is a particularly good option compared to many others. I will most certainly go deeper into this. Thanks for sharing.

I also think, Wallbox and EO are better when compared with others depending on the comparison from the https://www.apielectrical.co.uk/electr ... nt-brands .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skoda ENYAQ 60 Suite
Quartz Grey Metallic
19" Regulus Anthracite metallic alloy wheels
100 kW - DC battery charging
BigFrank66

Post by BigFrank66 »

I too am in process of selecting wall charger..
Just to confirm is it true that Enyaq only charges at upto 7.2kw - I heard on one review that could charge at up to 11.5kw on AC, wasn't sure if this was an upgrade included in the 100KW rapid charging option i have selected..
I was considering if any future proof benefit to going for a higher powered charger..

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post