What are the essential charging apps and RFID tags needed for charging in the UK?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi all,

I’m roughly 2 months away from receiving my Enyaq and now starting to think about which apps I need to install and which RFID tags I need to have ready, for charging conveniently and ‘quickly’ anywhere around the UK.

I believe ‘Chargeplace Scotland’ is one of the essential tags needed for Scotland, so I have ordered one of those as I’m likely to travel there from the South East 4 or 5 times a year.

How about the rest of the UK ? Is there a list anywhere of the essential apps and tags we should order in advance for charging away from home?

I’ll have a PodPoint at home by the time the Enyaq arrives but that’s only going to get me to Manchester or Plymouth (for example) one way ;-)

Cheers.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

RichR

Post by RichR »

More and more networks are changing their chargers to accept contactless credit/debit cards. So in many cases you don't need any extra RFID cards or apps. However, some still do, and often you'll get a better price by using their card/app. The main motorway services are generally Gridserve (ie the old Ecotricity Electric Highway), and these take credit/debit cards for example.

Use apps such as Zap-map, ABRP and WattsUp to find out what the chargers along routes you're likely to do often to see what you might need. Certainly get the Skoda Powerpass card/app as this gives you much reduced prices on Ionity, and it's probably worth having the apps for BP, Osprey, Swarco and Ecotricity (should you come across any that Gridserve haven't upgraded yet).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Thanks RichR - that’s helpful info :-)
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Hillocklane

Post by Hillocklane »

There was a prior post on the Powerpass not being available in the UK yet, and sure someone also commented the rates may not be beneficial, though interesting to see what comes.

I've signed up for a few now - had BP ad Ecotricity anyway from prior cats and have added Genie Point and Osprey as well. Have signed up for, but not yet used InstaVolt and have most recently got a Shell Recharge card which will work at Ionity, i think the Genie point and of course shell / new motion sites.

Issue i've noted is that where the apps are required the registration processes can add another five mins or more to set up and add initial credit (Genie point forced a £10 credit to be held). Also some want to charge for RFID cards, so the app can be preferable. Why they can't all just take contactless payment is beyond me.

ZAP map is definitely an essential tool for long distance EV driving though, whoever you sign up to that app shows the best coverage of all and the route planner is quite helpful as you can filter out to just show the chargers of the type that you want (i.e. rapid chargers) and networks you want.

Does anyone know what the mapping of the chargers is within the Skoda NAV? I was told that is using ZAP map also, but I don't see any reference to that anywhere. Would be nice to know whether to trust it or not.
RichR

Post by RichR »

As said - most are changing to contactless payments now there have been enough chargers installed and enough people using them to carry out meaningful studies of customer satisfaction and desires. Most likely the ones that are awkward will see their revenue drop and fall in line with the majority as more and more chargers get installed.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
FranHG

Post by FranHG »

I’m new to this but I would say zap-map is by far the best app. I’ve got ABRP but havent found it very user friendly. I’ve downloaded Podpoint, BP Pulse, Instavolt, Ecotricity, Shell recharge and GeniePoint however, so far, most of the points are card swipe.

If you download the app its best to register in advance as it can be a painful experience at the point you come to use it if not registered. Some apps also want an amount of credit (eg £8 p) on account prior to use.
Iv60 Suite 100kw, Arctic Silver, Battery Pack/Heat Pump, Assisted Drive, Chrome, Climate, Comfort Seat, Convenience, Drive, Parking Pack

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post