Green rectangle on UK EV number plates

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi all,

I’ve noticed that many - but by no means all - new EV’s have a green rectangle in place of where the old EU/GB rectangle used to be.

I say ‘not all’ as someone near me has an ID4 but no green rectangle.

Is there any tangible advantage to having the green rectangle (e.g. traffic warden acknowledgement that you’re allowed to park in designated EV spaces) or is it really just a ‘badge of honour’ with no real purpose other than to show you’ve gone green ? Personally I’d probably not want to have it on my Enyaq when it arrives, especially as where I live, it’s likely to be keyed by vandals if they see it’s ‘different’ :-(

Thanks.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

RichR

Post by RichR »

It's not mandatory or conferring any advantage at the moment, but it may in future. Entirely up to you what you put on the plate, within the permitted options of course :)

The idea is that it makes it easier for enforcing low emissions or EV only restrictions in areas with no ANPR, but at present there aren't many places like that. But it is likely to become more common as people are encouraged to move away from petrol/diesel cars with incentives like cheaper parking for example. It just means that a car bought now will already have the plate, rather than having to replace it later.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Details of the government consultation here: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... t-response

Basically non-mandatory and only lightly enforced at the moment. Makes it easier for enforcement of zero emission vehicle regulations, but nothing more at present.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Hillocklane

Post by Hillocklane »

iixorb wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:39 am
Is there any tangible advantage to having the green rectangle (e.g. traffic warden acknowledgement that you’re allowed to park in designated EV spaces)
Hopefully the traffic warden will spot the big cable hanging off the side of your car... after all, you won't be 'parking' in an EV space if you're not charging will you :shock: :D

I have noticed a lot of older EV's locally starting to change their plates which does make me wonder if there are some active schemes, though the cynical side of me says 'badge of honour'.
Bacarelle

Post by Bacarelle »

My Enyaq came from the Dealer with a number plate at the back which had the 'green rectangle', but the front plate didn't !!!
I suspect miscommunication or is the Dealer hedging his bets ?!
Stripy

Post by Stripy »

Back in the days of EU membership, I would always request the plates with the marker on, but sadly quite a few dealerships would make a “political statement” and not do it.
When they then sent through their surveys for buying a new car, I would make my opinion known to both manufacturer and dealership.

Sadly it looks like Stockport is one of those places where they don’t care about extra badges on number plates, so my fight isn’t over yet - at least give the customer the option
gap998

Post by gap998 »

The green reg. plate 'tabs' also allow emergency services to quickly identify EVs in accidents so they can apply the correct safety & fire procedures.
Enyaq iV60 Loft 100kW Charging, Arc. Silver, Regulus 19", Heat Pump, Ass'd Drive Pack, Parking+, Drive Sport, Conv.+, Transport Pack

Order 2-11-21 - Built 22-08-22 - Collected 28-09-22 - Drive Fault 4-10-22 - Back to Dealer 18-10-22 - Fixed 17-11-22
sam_vasu

Post by sam_vasu »

post_id=6742 time=1640892434 user_id=618]
The green reg. plate 'tabs' also allow emergency services to quickly identify EVs in accidents so they can apply the correct safety & fire procedures.
Interesting! Never really thought of that… seems there is more to it. Maybe in a few years the ICE cars will have compulsory red identifiers or something!
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Our Enyaq was supplied green tagged (at both ends!) but I am considering reverting to plain standard plates. Why? There is a certain class of redneck ICE pilot-consider Clarkson’s Astravan plumber breaking LSR-who will take the stupidest risks to ‘beat’ the EV.

Tangible benefits re parking and low emission zones etc are supposed to be in the pipeline but I’ve not come across any in the real world…

Fossilnot
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

Mine was supplied without green tags - dealer did not offer any choice, however, another Enyaq supplied by this dealer has them. Personally felt I would like them so brought green stickers on E- Bay, complete with “UK” designation for around £2.00. If I change my mind easy to remove. The Enyaq is conventional looking by latest EV designs, so nice, imo, to let others know there is something different via the number plate. I believe dealers should offer a choice, previous experience of buying new VWs after the UK had voted to leave the EU, was being supplied with blue EU number plates, which would have preferred not to have, as seemed out of date.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post