Tow Bar Preperation

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Paulj1

Post by Paulj1 »

Picking up my new Enyag 80 Sportline on Friday... well excited....

It has tow bar prep, so has anyone in UK fitted an aftermarket towbar yet ?

Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Think I have seen some posts on the in UK and elsewhere.
Prices might well be expensive (More than Skoda !)
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

I plan to fit an after market towbar contingent upon price, quality, and availability. It is a subject that some find contentious…
The essential precursor to legality WHEN TOWING is not towbar preparation. It is, in fact, the details of weight/mass shown on the VIN plate! I have referenced this in a previous post and advised study of the paper manual Enyaqs are supplied with.

Through no foresight of mine my car does have a 1000kg towing capacity. Imagine it didn’t but because I want (in this imaginary scenario) to mount a carry rack on the back I fit a towbar to for use with the rack. I have broken no laws. My action is perfectly legal. However I break the law if and when I am foolish enough to tow a trailer with it on the public road.

Previous experience of purchasing a newly introduced model of car indicates that it takes the aftermarket a few months to catch up so I anticipate aftermarket availability anytime between now and Christmas.

More speculatively-and no I have not yet been under the car!-is it not the case that the Enyaq is built on a version of a common VW group platform? The MEB? And it is the case that fixed towbars for the Kodiaq (on I assume the same basic platform) are available for very little money. I look forward to Enyaq towbars being available around the same price point.

Fossilnot
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Skoda UK in the Enyaq configurator that for an Enyaq's towing weight to appear on the VIN plate it must be fitted or prepped with tow bar.
The Kodiaq is not a MEB platform car.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Most sincerely hope you are correct because it means that I have a towbar prepped car without specifying it and without the supplying Skoda dealer mentioning it to me at the point of sale. (I would far rather have plug and play for the sub loom than test and splice.) I note that various sub looms are already available on the aftermarket.

The illustration of a schematic towbar in the paper manual-the one showing critical dimensions-looks, if anything, simpler than Kodiaq towbars. Is there any evidence beyond hearsay to suggest that Enyaq fixed towbars will be stupidly expensive?

Fossilnot
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

So if the Enyaq is not built on VW group’s Modular Electric Drive (MEB) platform do you know which platform it is built on?
(My thinking now is to chase down what the VW ID4 is built on-the indications are that it is the MEB platform and to research ID4 towbars.) I understood that the Enyaq is very largely an ID4 in a smarter set of clothes…

Fossilnot
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

So the first hit for a VW ID4 fixed towbar comes in at £158.75 (without electrics). Now that is more sensible! And that is the price bracket that I anticipate a similar (probably identical) product for the Enyaq will come in at.

Regards,

Fossilnot
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Fossilnot wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:01 pm So if the Enyaq is not built on VW group’s Modular Electric Drive (MEB) platform do you know which platform it is built on?
(My thinking now is to chase down what the VW ID4 is built on-the indications are that it is the MEB platform and to research ID4 towbars.) I understood that the Enyaq is very largely an ID4 in a smarter set of clothes…

Fossilnot
I did not say that I said the Kodiac is not a MEB platform car.
If you ordered a IV80 then tow bar prep is included, IV60 it has to be added.
Do you have a link for ID4 towbars?
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

No, sorry. I tried Amazon first and got legions of irrelevant crapola. Next was eBay/motors/cars etc/accessories into which I searched for VW ID4 towbar getting immediate relevant hits. Choice of three bars from the same German source (so beware import duties) in escalating complexity and price range.
Anyway I am reinforced in my conviction that aftermarket fixed towbars at reasonable cost will shortly become available for the Enyaq.
Apologies for not reading your post accurately!

Fossilnot
Paulj1

Post by Paulj1 »

So the Enyaq accessories brochure shows a tow bar…. Local dealer quoted £1025 for a dealer fit…….