Estimated Range on Full Charge

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RJC1874

Post by RJC1874 »

Morning all, first time poster, be gentle! šŸ˜‚

I took delivery of an Enyaq 60 Suite last week - loving it so far! I have a query about range though. Published range is 256 miles, however, after a full charge, battery on 100%, I donā€™t get an estimate higher than 208. I know Iā€™m not going to get 256 miles in the real world, but surely it should at least think it can achieve this before I start driving? Or at least somewhere near it; 208 is a significant difference.

What are everyone elseā€™s experiences on this?

Cheers!

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Have a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=344
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
RichR

Post by RichR »

The estimated range is just that - estimated, based on consumption over the last few miles of driving. Don't worry - this sort of question gets posted almost every week from people who have never really looked at the estimated range display on any car (this applies to petrol and diesel cars as well :) ). Ignore the WLTP range. That is a standardised test designed for comparing cars, it is not an promise of real life range. Some journeys may never reach it, some might even exceed it.

So - why is the estimate not what you expect? Consider this scenario:

You've got a fully loaded car, towing a caravan and you go up a big hill quickly. How much electricity/petrol does it use per mile? A lot. So the car looks at what's left in the tank/battery and estimates how far you can go if you carry on using it at that rate. It'll be a lot less than the car is capable of. Now you're at the top of the hill, unhook the caravan and unload the car. You now fill it up/charge it to 100%. How far will the car estimate you can go? Because the last information it had about how many litres/kW get used per mile, it'll be quite low.
Now you go back down the hill - effectively using next to no fuel/electricity. But you're covering distance, so the litres/kW per mile is huge. The estimated range will increase - perhaps to something silly.

Finally you drive at 65mph on cruise control on a flat motorway for 2 hours. The fuel/electricity you consume in the next 15 minutes is very likely to be the same as the last 15 minutes, so the estimated range will be pretty accurate.

The point I'm getting at is that the car can only work off the data it has (most recent fuel/electricity consumption), and it cannot see into the future to know how you'll be driving. Accelerating hard, high speed, going up hill, carrying a heavy load, using heating/aircon all use a lot more so will result in a lower range. The estimate is only valid if you continue to use fuel/electricity at the same rate.

My petrol Subaru Outlack 3.0 litre was capable of anywhere between 200 miles and 400 miles per tank depending on how I drove. Cruising on A-roads was optimal. Any sort of stopping and accelerating back up to speed from roundabouts and junctions massively reduced it. But for some reason people never question the estimated range on a petrol car in the same way as they do on electric ones!
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ all good stuff mentioned above. Dealerships possibly do need to be more honest here. I did plenty of research before ordering my Enyaq (80) and only expect around 230 miles in summer, and perhaps 190 ish in winter. Any more than this will be a pleasant surprise. I think I will actually test my dealershipsā€™ honesty / knowledge here and ask them what mileage I should expect once my car arrives- and see what they say.

Maybe we can create a poll along the lines of ā€œwhat mileage did your dealership advise when you were looking to order your Enyaq?ā€ā€¦. Could get interesting!!
iV80 Loft, Black, 21ā€ Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

I find it strange how nobody questions expected range on petrol cars to the extent they do on EVs. I know that in my old Nissan Pulsar GTI-R I could burn through 45 litre of Super Unleaded in under 50 miles on a track day. But on the road, driving sensibly itā€™d do over 400 miles.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

I recall Skoda.co.uk had a range calculator on the site that you can set the model, temperature and speed, airco settings etc that showed you how range would change.
https://fuelsavings.skoda-auto.com/210/en-gb
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Susans Dad

Post by Susans Dad »

All good points RichR and well said. :D
Ordered 21 July 2021 - Enyaq iv 80 , Artic Silver, 21 Betria wheels, Light & view pack +, Infotainment pack +, Assisted drive pack +, Comfort seat pack +, Parking +, Climate pack +, Driving sport pack, Pan roof & now 125kW fast charge
RJC1874

Post by RJC1874 »

Thanks all for your replies.

I appreciate itā€™s an estimate, and I totally get all the factors involved. I never expected for one minute to get the quoted 256 out of it and I know my heavy right foot will put a big dent in the range!!

I was just surprised that it didnā€™t even start with a higher figure and drop in accordance with my bad driving. The comparison to a petrol/diesel car is a good one - plenty of times Iā€™d get in my car and see 500+ miles only for it to actually return 400 because of the type/style of driving.

I think the reason EVs are questioned more is simply because itā€™s unfamiliar territory. Personally I was wondering whether there could be something wrong with my battery. Unlikely I know but youā€™d never know if you just accepted.

One thing I will say so far is that despite the lower than expected starting figure, it seems to be returning what it says. From that perspective, better for it to underestimate I guess that tease me with more and leave me stranded!!

Thanks again all!
RichR

Post by RichR »

Remember that it calculates the range based on the amount of charge in the battery (which you know is 57kWh on a 60 when fully charged), and the average consumption figure. Because you haven't gone anywhere yet, the average consumption figure is what it stored before you switched it off.

Next time you come home and intend to charge to 100% try driving really economically for the last 15 minutes and you should see the estimated range after charging to be much higher. I've had my Outlander PHEV showing 40 miles of expected range after a charge once when I basically coasted down hills to a friend's house then charged overnight, though that dropped to a more realistic 21 miles as soon as I'd driven 500 metres :) (expected EV range should be around 20-25 miles on an Outlander).
james_scott22

Post by james_scott22 »

I've come close to 250 on a drive where I was doing 50-60mph most of the way. Easily top 200 most cycles as well. You will outstrip your 208 prediction if driven sensibly, remember it can only base that prediction based on recent use
Enyaq 60 suite arctic silver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post