Nice and tidy PodPoint installation

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RichR

Post by RichR »

Isn't that a requirement for 25 square mm cross sectional area? Not 25mm diameter ;)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

RichR wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:42 pm Isn't that a requirement for 25 square mm cross sectional area? Not 25mm diameter ;)
Excellent point actually- that would make a huge difference. They told me “25mm” with no reference to CSA - but I bet you’re onto something here :lol: (In which case my ~10mm diameter cables probably are around 25mm CSA) Will double check.
Last edited by Goaty on Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Yes, electric cables are always sized by their cross-sectional area, not their diameter. But if they need upgrading I think the labour is going to be the bigger part of the bill.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Bit more info - my installer from this morning has called me back and advised that my cables are 8mm (csa) but definitely need upgrading to 25mm (csa) and the general load elsewhere in the house dictates a need for a 100A fuse.
Next stop - Octopus Energy for a quote to do this.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

I would be very surprised that they are only 10mm tails they look more like 16mm to me.

Your energy provider won't generally replace the "consumer" side tails these are classed as your responsibility so a local electrician would be needed. Your energy provider should replace the tails from your main head to the meter, they may also replace a portion of the consumer side and install an isolator before your DB

Tails only ever came in 6,10,16 & 25mm homes would never be powered off of 6mm tails nor 10mm
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ Thanks Biohazard. What started out as a proud, excited thread about my new home charger, has now become a slight rant that it seems I’m now going to have to spend more time / money on sorting out other electrical work before I can get the full charging potential out of my PodPoint!! I suppose I’d be in the same situation irrespective of which home charger I went with - so this is by no means a rant specifically aimed at PodPoint.

In the ‘good old days’, much of this would have been discussed and raised during an ‘in person’ site survey, prior to the start of any works.

I’m more annoyed with myself to be honest - I had an original installation date back in June, but I put it off because we had builders in. Had I not done that, I possibly could have asked the electrician we had on site to do something. Now I’ll have to get someone in specifically for just this job. Doh !!
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

To be honest with you the installer shouldn't have went ahead with the installation without informing you of what was required to get the full 7kW.

In person surveys are better but with the amount of chargers being installed (upwards of 15k a month for Pod Point alone) its not always possible and the photos you are asked for are normally sufficient enough.

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ Thanks - I was told halfway through the install that I’d need the 60A main fuse to be upgraded to a 100A fuse before PodPoint can unlock 7kW charging- although I don’t recall anything being mentioned about the tail upgrade until I spoke with UK Power Networks (UKPN) about this. UKPN said if they need to come out and fit a 100A fuse, “then the tails need to be 25mm” (which I initially thought was 25mm diameter!!! They didn’t mention it’s the cross sectional area).

Fortunately I have since found out that UKPN won’t actually charge for fitting the 100A fuse, and the tail upgrade will be done by Octopus when they finally come and replace the old British Gas meter for their new one - again for ‘free’.

So I’m fairly hopeful now that all the additional works required in order to get 7kW, won’t actually incur any additional costs.

The Enyaq isn’t due until October anyway (at the earliest I guess, given the plant shut downs etc at the moment).
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Quick one was the installer a direct employee of Pod Point or a sub Contractor ?

Also was a Fuse Saver clamp installed?

Jaykinch

Post by Jaykinch »

For 100amp fuse you do need 25mm tails from the cutout and that will allow you to pull up to 23kva I believe

Normally a dno will change the fuse for free of charge and you meter company will upgrade the tails when you get a new meter fitted

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post