Nice and tidy PodPoint installation

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Took the guys about 2 hours. On the side of the house, running through a shed and enters the house into a garage conversion room where the meter etc resides. I thought it might cause them a few issues but the lads weren’t phased at all and did a nice tidy job !

Apparently our main house fuse is only 60A, so they’ve temporarily scaled back the charging output to 3kW until SSE (or whoever we’re with) can upgrade the main feed with a 100A fuse. Then PodPoint will be able to remove the restriction ‘over the air’.

267DC23F-D87E-4A77-8A7E-AB1820FA585B.jpeg

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

Thanks iixorb, looks tidy.
What output will you get once the restriction is removed?.
How much did it all cost and did you get a government grant?.
I never had any intention of fitting anything at home on account of the free charging available where I work but if the cost is reasonable I may go for it.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

iixorb wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 am Apparently our main house fuse is only 60A, so they’ve temporarily scaled back the charging output to 3kW until SSE (or whoever we’re with) can upgrade the main feed with a 100A fuse. Then PodPoint will be able to remove the restriction ‘over the air’.
Ah. That is useful to know. I am currently half-way through applying to PodPoint. I put it on hold when I got to the point saying it needed an 80-100A fuse (mine is also 60A).

So I am currently waiting for Western Power to upgrade my fuse. before proceeding. If I had known they could take temporary measures, I might not have paused.

Then again, my car is at least a couple of months away, so I may as well get the fuse sorted first. :D

Later Edit: Western Power has been and gone. No problem with the tails, and I now have an 80A fuse. Now onwards with the Pod Point application! :)
Last edited by Chris__M on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I think the cost was around £500 ish. I ordered it ages ago but delayed the installation until today, as we’ve had builders crawling all over the place for months and I wanted them out the way first ! My price does include the government grant (nice to get something from Boris, as I missed out on my iV80).

I’ve been informed that I’ll get the 7kW rate once I’ve had the fuse upgraded. The updated rate will be free, as I paid for a 7kW unit. The fuse upgrade won’t be free, so I’ll need to get that sorted. I haven’t got the car yet, so I’m in no major hurry.

When Octopus eventually install a smart meter for me, I’ll be able to charge for 4 hours per night at 4.5p per kW - so that’s really what’s convinced me to get a home charger.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

Cheers iixorb. Good info.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

You really don't think you can manage to maintain the 7kw charging while not exceeding 60A? I know I have the potential to exceed it , normal domestic connections in France are 12 kVA using 12 kVA cabling to the house. Both can be upgraded but a huge cost.

In the summer with off-peak charging I have no problems, In the winter with the heat pump on (Max 6kW, depending on temperature) there is plenty of potential to exceed but both the charger and Enyaq have settings that can select reduced charging .

I don't remember how it worked in the UK but here in France if I exceed the configured load the meter will disconnect me until I simply reset it while using less that the subscribed load.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Perchede wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:37 pm You really don't think you can manage to maintain the 7kw charging while not exceeding 60A?

/\ unfortunately I wasn’t given the choice - the engineer (sub contracted by PodPoint) said that PodPoint apparently require a downgrade when there’s a 60A fuse.
RichR

Post by RichR »

When PodPoint fitted mine he pulled the main fuse and was pleasantly surprised to find a 100A one there. But this is an old farmhouse and the electricity comes in on overhead lines to a pole close to the house, then down from there under the drive to the meter, so I wasn't surprised at all...
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hmmmpf. Well it’s beginning to look like I need to have quite a lot of upgrade work done around the meter and fuse area if I want to ‘unlock’ the full charging capability of my PodPoint.

To have a 100A fuse, UKPN (who look after the network here) need the main brown and blue cables to be changed to 25mm! Yes, 1” thick cables !!!!

They are currently around 10mm.

This isn’t something UKPN can do. I’ll need an electrician - or my energy provider (Octopus) to upgrade these cables to 25mm / 1” cables….. at a cost yet to be determined !

For info, my house was built in 1970. I’ll share a photo of the cables which need upgrading later - if anyone else has ‘skinny’ cables like mine, you might also have to have your cables upgraded to allow PodPoint to unlock the full capacity.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

So the 60A fuse is in the black thing. The brown and blue cables were only installed about 5 years ago when British Gas installed the new meter on the left (I’m waiting for Octopus to install a smart meter so I don’t know if they will replace BG’s meter as well).

Those cables are only about 10mm and need upgrading. Apparently. To 25mm !!!

92BA4609-AE3B-4A4A-9C05-5539CBE43599.jpeg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post