Real installed prices of EV chargers in UK?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Dad

Post by Dad »

We are just going through our options with EV chargers and I found the topic on this forum really useful. However it didn’t really cover prices. I’m curious about whether the price that is indicated on the websites (usually £500-600 after the grant is applied) is real world or not?

Both PodPoint and Ohme had an online price of £500-550. We opted for Ohme at £550 for the Pro model but the confirmed price with Ohme’s installer (Jolt) is £700 following filling all the questions out. The installation looks straight forward. We already have the 32A supply in the garage on its own fuse board and the cable run would be only two or three meters.

I’m going to ask Jolt why the higher price but I’m curious to know if it is usual to get a higher price than advertised for what appears to be a simple install?
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514

Xtopher

Post by Xtopher »

Sounds like your install is as easy as they come. The websites do tend to list out their assumptions in the T&C's and any derivation from this would incur cost. I would ask Jolt why it is more, they should tell you.

We got a Zappi installed a couple of weeks back via an independent installer. After the grant it was maybe bit more than £100 more than the price of buying the Zapping and hub at retail. Install was simple and installer stuck to their estimate.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I think I paid PodPoint around £500 or £550 for a tethered unit. That’s my all-in price (they will claim the grant themselves as my price was reduced on the basis of them being able to do this).

If you need more than 15m of cable running to the PodPoint, they might charge you extra. We just managed to scrape through I think.

However during the install, it was discovered that we only have a 60A main fuse; PodPoint like at least 80A to give the full 7kW charge. I therefore need to have this sorted, as well as larger ‘tails’ running to the meter, but UK Power Networks and Octopus Energy are going to do this for free (they say….). If they’re true to their word, then my PodPoint installation would have cost a total of around £500 to £550. I don’t remember the exact amount.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Dad

Post by Dad »

Thanks both. Yes the main fuse and tails was mentioned as something that would need upgrading by the supplier for no additional cost.
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514
RichR

Post by RichR »

Probably not relevant but I paid around £250 (after grant) for my 7.4kW PodPoint (Type 2 socket), about 4 years ago. That involved 10m of cable, 32A breaker and drilling through three substantial walls. I went for Type 2 untethered 7.4kW even though my Outlander has Type 1 and only charges at 3.6kW max, as I knew I’d be replacing it eventually with something that probably could charge faster.

I guess prices have gone up since then, and I think the grant has gone down a bit.
Last edited by RichR on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
MichaelEC

Post by MichaelEC »

In July I had a PodPoint charger installed that cost the initially quoted price of under £500. I already had an 80 amp fuse, so did not have to do anything about improving it. I was warned that some companies are charging around £200 for changing this fuse even though it is very simple to do. Because I only have electricity connected and powering my home, including a heat pump, I could only have a 4.6 kW charger safely fitted.
Caman24

Post by Caman24 »

I've just ordered Pod Point, 7Kw Tethered, with Key Lock and 5 year Warranty for my company car. Total price was £1057 but with the £350 grant = £707.

Installation booked in for 07/10. so I'm guessing they are happy that no further work apart from their standard installation is needed and won't be charged any more.

I'll repost once installed to confirm!

Cheers,
Last edited by Caman24 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Caman24 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:00 pm ...With no extras for a Tethered 7Kw with grant it would be £440…
Is there a typo in there?
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
coom80

Post by coom80 »

I paid the price on the website (£549). Took 3 weeks for them to do whatever admin they needed, which was a minor annoyance, seeing as I got the car before that. But I already had a charge master for my partners Zoe so we coped.

28D43AD6-7BC7-41F3-B904-438D547AAAF0.jpeg

Skoda ENYAQ 150kW 80 Sportline 82kWh 5dr Auto
Race Blue Metallic
Convenience Package Plus
Infotainment Package Plus
Panoramic Sunroof
Tow Bar Electrically Retractable
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

It all depends on the location you have chosen for your charge point if its within 15m and would only require 3m work of trunking internally you'll pay the websites stated price.

Supply can be taken off a garage DB only if the supply circuit is capable of taking the 32A load of the charge point and any additional load within the garage. If the garage is supplied from the RCD side of the homes DB the RCD must be a type A variant or be on an approved list of AC devices.

Bonding must also be in place within the property so a minimum of 6mm earth cable to the mains water supply pipework unless this is plastic incomer (if copper pipe work then enters the ground it must then be earthed)

Same goes for the gas pipework this should be bonded within 600mm of entry into the property (if you follow the regs) but to be fair as long as its bonded its all good.

Both bonds must go back to the MET (Main earth terminal) within the DB or at your suppliers incomming head.

You must also have a minimum of a 60A mains fuse within the DNO head.
Last edited by BioHzrd on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post