Here We Go! (Help needed please)

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Some forum members will recall that previously I reported on a mainly positive and straightforward charging experience with my EO Mini Pro 2 in juicing my 80iv. With the benefit of hindsight it was very much so…. Foolishly I subsequently decided that I had better get to closer grips with the Enyaq onboard charging controls. So it has been a chequered and frustrating charging story over the past few weeks. Tomorrow I am making a longish journey and want a bit of headroom on the GOM. I added 109 miles early hours this morning taking my total miles available to 260. My slider-which I had pre set to 100%-shows 92% charged.. (No systems other than pre programmed life support are running.) So without going to the umpteenth decimal place the remaining 8% would provide about 24 miles giving 284 miles for 100% charge. Eh what? So how, please, do I reset the car’s 100% capacity to 330 miles or thereabouts?

My only fallback option at present is a typical dumb granny lead-slow it may be but it is uncomplicated and, so far, very reliable.

So now I am considering adding a dumb charge point such as a Rolec to the options but controlled through an inaccessible to thieves double pole switch and heavy duty timer. Thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Fossilnot

RichR

Post by RichR »

The estimated mileage is not a direct indicator of how much charge is in the battery. You cannot in any vehicle say 'it will go this many miles, regardless of what speed you drive at, how much load is in the car, whether it's up or down hills or the heater/aircon is on'. If you filled a petrol car's tank to the top how many miles can you get? You can't really answer that until you know how you're going to be driving. If you were doing 100mph racing other cars on a circuit, it's going to be significantly less than doing 30mph round and round a carpark. The same is true of an EV.

The WLTP range is for comparing cars that have done the same fixed set of simulated conditions. It is not an indicator of real world range (and it says that in the brochure and adverts for any car quoting it). So yes, 330 miles might be achievable, but only under specific conditions, and in fact the Norwegian equivalent to the AA have managed to exceed it. Also that's the range to 0%, whereas normally you wouldn't run it much below 10% before charging.

Realistic average range for an 80 with a mix of motorway, A-road and town at this time of year with the heater on a bit is more like 280 miles.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Quite so but this car had no less than 415 miles in the tank at handover. Prior to my involving the car’s settings (as opposed to the charger’s settings) there was no noticeable disparity between %age and mileage. It is driven quite mildly and I refrain from using power hungry additional systems.

Fossilnot
RichR

Post by RichR »

I think you're misunderstanding what 'estimated mileage' is. The battery contains 77kWh (usable) of energy. When you drive you will be able to do a certain number of miles per kW in the battery, but this value changes depending on how the car is driven. For the Enyaq, it's usually around 3.0mi/kWh when driving fast or up hill, and perhaps 4.8mi/kWh for constant lower speed. Accelerating from junctions could see it drop to below 2.0mi/kWh. The important thing is that the energy consumption varies, and it impossible to know what it will do in the future.

When the car is switched off and charged up, the it knows how much charge is in the battery (77kWh), but the only consumption figure it's got is the average from just before it was switched off. So it multiplies one by the other to give the estimated range. As soon as you start driving, it will recalculate based on the current consumption. Hence if you're on cruise control on a motorway, using a constant rate of energy, the estimated mileage will be pretty accurate. But if you enter a town, and begin slowing down and speeding up at junctions - or drive in a hilly area then it will not be accurate at all. It is only an estimate.

So to get 415 miles showing, the car would have had to get around 5.4mi/kWh average - this is highly unlikely to happen on the open road. But if the car had been allowed to coast down a hill, for a couple of miles, getting that low consumption rate, then charged up, it could show that artificially high figure.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

So if 100% equates to circa 280 miles and to preserve battery life we are advised that the headline limit for charging is 80%-well that cuts the realistic everyday range to 224 miles does it not? Just a tad disappointing…

The 415 miles at handover was presumably based on next to no previous use.

Fossilnot
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

At 80% last couple of charges I am getting a 260 to 265 mile estimate. That is roughly what I expected.

415 on delivery doesn't sound right though. are you sure it wasn't 315 as was mine.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Not quite. It is impossible to say 100% charge equals a set amount of miles as it will depend on many factors.

Let’s try this another way: you’ve got a bottle of wine and a variety of glasses of different sizes. If you only use a shot glass, it’ll take a while to empty the whole bottle. If you use a pint glass, you’ll empty it a lot quicker. If you only had one size glass you could think that it takes about the same amount of time to empty every time.

Now someone gives you another bottle of wine and says ‘how long will it take to empty?’ but every 5 minutes they give you a different sized glass. You cannot answer the question accurately in this case as you don’t know what glasses you’ll be given.

This is more like driving a car - the rate of fuel/energy consumption is often very variable. When stopped in a traffic jam you’re drawing virtually nothing. But accelerating to join a motorway it’ll be a lot. The long term average would be somewhere in between. But it’s the short term average that’s used for the estimate.

But when you start the car, it has no idea where you’re going to go, and how many miles per kW you’ll get at any stage, let alone for the whole trip.

What I’m getting at is that the display is ‘estimated mileage if you carry on driving like you are now’. It does not equate to battery charge level, except quite approximately.
coom80

Post by coom80 »

Fossilnot wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:14 pm So if 100% equates to circa 280 miles and to preserve battery life we are advised that the headline limit for charging is 80%-well that cuts the realistic everyday range to 224 miles does it not? Just a tad disappointing…

The 415 miles at handover was presumably based on next to no previous use.

Fossilnot
The range depends on how it was driven before you received it. EV peak efficiency is at around 20 MPH. If you chose to drive your car at this speed (which is probably what speed the vehicle had averaged just being moved on and off a ferry/transporter) you would get many more miles than you would if you drive normal speeds or on motorway. I’ve had my 80 Sportline since early July and do a normal commute including a couple hills and a bit of a motorway. My average is 3.2 miles/kWh which is roughly 200 miles on an 80% charge. I top it up every night to 80% when my tariff is cheapest and am very happy - rarely do I need to travel more than 80 miles in a day so 5hrs at 7kW is sufficient. Driven carefully on a 100% charge, I completed a 250 mile round trip going from 100% to 9% which is very much inline with the realistic ranges quoted.

The real challenge is keeping it topped up. It took 3 days to top up back to 80% with a 5hr 7kW overnight top-up and continued daily use, but I’ve gotten used to this.

If I wanted to drive 200+ miles every day, I think any EV with a 7kW home charger might not work out - because of the time needed to top up rather than the actual range limit. we also have a Renault Zoe, claiming 250 miles in the Renault literature but realistically 180 miles on 100% charge. So in comparison, I’m happy with the extra miles the Enyaq has.

Hope this helps?
Skoda ENYAQ 150kW 80 Sportline 82kWh 5dr Auto
Race Blue Metallic
Convenience Package Plus
Infotainment Package Plus
Panoramic Sunroof
Tow Bar Electrically Retractable
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Having sorted my various charging issues by returning all charging and related settings in the car to as they were when the car was new I have now returned to the initial state of blissful ignorance described in my thread relating to charging with an EO Mini Pro 2. (31kwh, circa 106 miles indicated, in four cheap rate hours.) I shall add a rider to that thread.
My most recent full charge-don’t do it very often!-yielded 97% and 271 miles so circa 280 miles on 100% charge. I am interested to learn that other owners are obtaining similar figures…
A recent diagonal trip from Rossendale via Skipton to the north east on slow country roads did indeed show extreme economy and had it been extended in time and distance I have no doubt would have exceeded the 333 headline capacity. Regrettably the demands of daily life don’t allow that kind of indulgence very often.

Fossilnot
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Oops-I did definitely mean 415 miles…

Fossilnot

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post