Winter Tyres

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Paulj1

Post by Paulj1 »

Anyone fitting winter tyres ? Up here in scotland out in the sticks had a light understeer on grease roads with the Bridge stones on.

I have 21" Betria rims, winter tyres are like rock horse do do and expensive... especially the fronts, remember the front/rears are differing sizes.

Even replacement tyres are uber pricey.... £1200+ for a set of 4 .....

Now can get a set of full wheels 19" Regulus alloys with winter pirelli's on from skoda for £1600....

I work on the basis that during 3/4 years of ownership you will replace s set of tyres anyhow, so swapping wheels/tyres for winters is no more expensive, and they make a huge difference.... and a hell of a lot cheaper than putting it in the hedge like we did with the mini country man on some ice a few years ago.

Comments please

BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Unless your dead set on Alloys get a set of steel.wheels.fornwinter tyres!?
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
jamest

Post by jamest »

I'm planning on doing this. I've not done it before, so have no experience, but a few months ago I called up the local tyre company and they told me that if I buy winter tyres from them then they store them for free and charge £80 per swap, so I guess £160 per year. So for about the price of a Netflix subscription I get improved winter road safety for my family.

Is there a reason, generally speaking, why you'd buy a second set of wheels rather than just getting them to swap the tyre on the one set of alloys?

I ordered with the 19" wheels partly because I expected to be getting winter tyres (and partly for ride and efficiency), and I was assuming I'd be using the alloys the car came with.
Ordered 17th March 2021, delivered 17th November 2021. Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Moon White Metallic, 100kW, Comfort Seat Package Basic, Family Package Basic, Convenience Package Plus, Drive Sport Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Parking Package Plus.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Taking tyres off wheels can damage them, and obviously you need the equipment to do it. You'll need to rebalance and fit weights after fitting the tyres each time too. Far quicker and easier to just swap wheels, which only takes a few minutes and can be done at home.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
MarkSalmon

Post by MarkSalmon »

I've done the swapping routine on the original alloys in the past on several cars but am now trying to hang on until they all need replacing and switch to All Seasons (if they're available for electric cars) as the various tyre tests I've seen suggest they're biased much more toward winter conditions with good wet braking and traction in snow. BUT this means a) waiting through at least one winter and b) probably swapping fronts to rears to even up the wear which you can't do on the iV 80 as they're different widths.
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

MarkSalmon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 am … and b) probably swapping fronts to rears to even up the wear ...
My experience with other rear wheel drive cars is that the wear is fairly even between front and rear. The rears are doing the traction whilst accelerating and the fronts have to handle the stresses of steering.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
jamest

Post by jamest »

Hmm, I'd thought about doing it all at home, but then I read about properly storing tyres, rotating stacks, etc., and figured I'd just leave it to the professionals. Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid, but with my wife and kids driving around on them I'd rather not take on the risk of finding out I hadn't quite stored them correctly after one fails driving down the motorway.

I guess it ends up being a trade off between the risk that the tyre hotel damages them in fitting vs the risk that I make a mistake with them vs the risk of not putting winter tyres on at all.
Ordered 17th March 2021, delivered 17th November 2021. Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Moon White Metallic, 100kW, Comfort Seat Package Basic, Family Package Basic, Convenience Package Plus, Drive Sport Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Parking Package Plus.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

I done it for 4 years between two BMW at home (330d Tpuring & M140i) summers would come off go in garage under my work bench on a pallet so as off the concrete and rinse and repeat when winters came off. No faffing with roatating them when they are off and never had a single issue wither either set.

The smsummers on the M140 still have about 5mm tread all round by time I sold the car and winters wise the rears were at aboit 3mm when I sold the wheels on.

Personally I plan on getting a set of Steels with winters if I can get a set for a good price, struggled for the Karoq so didn't bother.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Miket

Post by Miket »

Just be careful! The tyres on the Skoda are EV rated due to the fact that the car is 2 ton, I think id take some expert advice if you can find a expert in this subject, but in saying that there must be winter tyres as lots of continent countries it’s a law that winter tyres are fitted
Miket

Post by Miket »

Miket wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:35 am Just be careful! The tyres on the Skoda are EV rated due to the fact that the car is 2 ton, I think id take some expert advice if you can find a expert in this subject, but in saying that there must be winter tyres as lots of continent countries it’s a law that winter tyres are fitted,

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post