Charging to 100% at home on 7kW charger.

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi all,

Apologies for repeating an old topic but I thought I’d share my experience.

What I’ve noticed in the 10 days or so that I’ve had my Enyaq, is that my charging rate appears to be consistent, irrespective of whether I charge to 80% or all the way up to 100%.

I’m getting ~ 6.5kW to 7kW @ ~ 24 mph the entire time, with no drop off in speed at the end (home PodPoint).

In other words if it takes 8 hours to charge to 80%, it only takes another 2 hours to reach 100%. I’ve rounded for simplicity but the ‘20% chunks’ are appearing consistent.

Therefore that last 20% isn’t taking disproportionately longer, in my experience.

Is the “80% rule” more applicable to fast charging on public networks where perhaps there is a discernible drop off in speed for the last 20% - and so therefore less applicable to slow home charging?

Thanks.
Last edited by Goaty on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

darkside66
Location: In The middle (Leicestershire) then over to the right (Norfolk)

Post by darkside66 »

@Goaty that is exactly the same as my pod point it charges at a steady 6.5kw my Wife's Mokka e charges at 7.2kw and my ID 3 also charged at 7.2kw, my understanding is that its safe to charge to 100% from a home charger as its almost a trickle charger however i believe that if you Rapid charge to 100% on a regular basis this can over time increase the degradation of the battery
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Mrs Darkside Vauxhall Mokka e
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o
Nunfa1

Post by Nunfa1 »

The 80% rule only applies to rapid chargers as the BMU has to balance the cells and it can lead to excessive heat building up.
At 7KW I always charge to 100%.
RichR

Post by RichR »

The more important factor is not to leave a battery charged at 100% for more than a couple of days. If you're charging it overnight then driving it at 8am for example, there's no problem charging to 100%.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
darkside66

Post by darkside66 »

I tend to charge twice a week both to 100% and never let it drop below 30-40% looks like im in the clear :D :D
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o
adie.thompson

Post by adie.thompson »

I charge my M3 up to 80% on a daily basis, usually just adding a few miles overnight if we haven't used the car much, that way I know I have 80% battery should anything unexpected happen.

I only charge to 100% if I'm going on a planned long journey, usually once or twice per week.

The charging rate at 7kW is constant as others have said, it is the supercharging that varies, being quicker the lower your state of charge is on your battery.

That helps to protect the battery and I also think there is a plan to encourage people to 'hop' between charging sessions, hence the 20-80% and so minimise the time people stop at one charger discouraging charging to 100%.
Private Car: iV60 Suite; Quartz Grey; Parking Pack; Chrome Pack; 20" Vega Wheels; Ordered June 2021; Build Week 44; Delivery due 5 January 2022 :D
Company Car: 2020 Tesla M3 Standard Range Plus
darkside66

Post by darkside66 »

adie.thompson wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:22 pm I charge my M3 up to 80% on a daily basis, usually just adding a few miles overnight if we haven't used the car much, that way I know I have 80% battery should anything unexpected happen.

I only charge to 100% if I'm going on a planned long journey, usually once or twice per week.

The charging rate at 7kW is constant as others have said, it is the supercharging that varies, being quicker the lower your state of charge is on your battery.

That helps to protect the battery and I also think there is a plan to encourage people to 'hop' between charging sessions, hence the 20-80% and so minimise the time people stop at one charger discouraging charging to 100%.
I nearly bought an M3 but was put off by the horror stories of build quality, as an existing owner how have you found it?
adie.thompson

Post by adie.thompson »

darkside66 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:50 pm
I nearly bought an M3 but was put off by the horror stories of build quality, as an existing owner how have you found it?

I think it's a great car. Yes, the panel gaps are all different sizes but generally everything works and so far nothing rattles or has fallen off. I've had mine since March 2020 and I've done just over 26k miles, and the only issue I've had was sorted out over Wi-Fi by the service team at Tesla Leeds.

No servicing required, Tesla recommends a brake check & cabin filter check every two years and tyre rotation every 12.5k miles. I'm not sure what Skoda were trying to sell me when pushing their service plan.

A colleague had his screen go completely blank while driving but he was able to continue and the screen came back after a couple of minutes. He's had his just about 2 years and apart from a windscreen and a couple of punctures he's not had any other issues either.

I think the 2021 model year has slightly better quality control and so things are getting to be what they should be for a £45k car, but overall I'm not complaining and my wife has enjoyed driving electric, hence the addition of the Enyaq (when it arrives).
Private Car: iV60 Suite; Quartz Grey; Parking Pack; Chrome Pack; 20" Vega Wheels; Ordered June 2021; Build Week 44; Delivery due 5 January 2022 :D
Company Car: 2020 Tesla M3 Standard Range Plus
darkside66

Post by darkside66 »

adie.thompson wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:32 pm
darkside66 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:50 pm

I think it's a great car. Yes, the panel gaps are all different sizes but generally everything works and so far nothing rattles or has fallen off. I've had mine since March 2020 and I've done just over 26k miles, and the only issue I've had was sorted out over Wi-Fi by the service team at Tesla Leeds.

No servicing required, Tesla recommends a brake check & cabin filter check every two years and tyre rotation every 12.5k miles. I'm not sure what Skoda were trying to sell me when pushing their service plan.

A colleague had his screen go completely blank while driving but he was able to continue and the screen came back after a couple of minutes. He's had his just about 2 years and apart from a windscreen and a couple of punctures he's not had any other issues either.

I think the 2021 model year has slightly better quality control and so things are getting to be what they should be for a £45k car, but overall I'm not complaining and my wife has enjoyed driving electric, hence the addition of the Enyaq (when it arrives).

That’s good to hear a positive review I’m sure as they move forward and the Berlin giga factory comes on line things will get better still, maybe the model y will worthy of a view when I next look at changing.
Xtopher

Post by Xtopher »

Charging curve for those interested. You can see it is above 7kW the whole time so charging at home it will never slow down. Even on a rapid charger of 50kW, on an iV80 you will see over 25kW to 100%.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post