Anyone drive a second car that's non electric?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

In my third week of having the enyaq, and whilst the Scotland game last night was getting a tad nervy said to my wife ill go and get petrol for her car, so I could escape the game!

She has a one year old mini clubman. I go out and press the start button, and then put my foot on the accelerator and like how is this car not reversing.
I was there for a good few minutes totally forgot how to drive a traditional car! So easy how you forget.
Eventually I remembered press clutch and press start to fire up engine, the noise was foreign to me!

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

πŸ‘πŸ˜†. We have a manual Qashqai but my bmw was automatic and in the old days I used to travel a fair bit to places where you can only hire automatics - so I adapted to switching between manual and automatic many years ago. But indeed it does get confusing when you first have to do it !

Luckily the Qashqai is pretty basic and starts just with a turn of the key.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

I know what you mean. Seems such hard work driving an ICE car by comparison.

The worse part for me is driving an ICE car, taking foot off accelerator and pooping my pants when it doesn't slow down as I usually drive in B mode.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
RichR

Post by RichR »

At one time I had two Subaru Legacys - both 1996, both 2.2 GXS models. One was a saloon and automatic, the other estate and manual. Other than the gearstick the interiors were identical. The number of times I tried to push the auto selector left and forward into first gear... Also stopping at junctions in the manual and stalling it because of forgetting I had to use the clutch pedal. Sold the estate one as the saloon had LPG.

Luckily we've only had automatics (and no gearbox in the Outlander PHEV) since, so it's just been into D and set off. But my wife's VW Caravelle's 2.5 turbo diesel is quite noisy compared to my PHEV!
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

My current car (diesel Berlingo) can be driven both as an automatic, or manual, using flappy paddles.

I've had it for 8 years, and the only times I have used manual mode was either when I was demonstrating it to a friend, and one particular year when the roads were icy.
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.
Beninscotland

Post by Beninscotland »

Yeah I drive a variety of cars (petrol, diesel, manual, automatic) and occasionally vans for my work and it is dead easy to forget some fundamentals.

Eg Volvo handbrake is activated (ie handbrake applied) by pushing the button down and deactivated by pulling the button up - counter intuitive in my opinion as traditional handbrake lever would be up to apply the brake and down to release, which is what all (at least of the makes I drive) other vehicle makes do.
Sportline
Ordered: 28/07/2021
Start Build: 13/09/2021
Status update "awaiting parts": 02/11/2021
Left factory: 14/01/2022
Departed Emden: 19/01/2022
Skoda email "Your life Electric is about to begin": 20/01/2022
Collection: 30/01/022
orrery

Post by orrery »

I've had 2 cars for the last 7 years - a Leaf and a Skoda Octavia 1.4TSi estate DSG.

The DSG box was super refined, but driving it after the EV was like driving a tractor.

We always drive the EV in preference, so last year we did 1,500 miles in the Octavia and the costs for tax insurance and service couldn't be justified even before I start to factor in fuel. So, I passed it on to my daughter. EVs are just so much better.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
darkside66
Location: In The middle (Leicestershire) then over to the right (Norfolk)

Post by darkside66 »

:shock: Yep I have a Ford Transit connect for doing the dirty things that shouldnt go in cars and although its noisy driving isnt a problem
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Mrs Darkside Vauxhall Mokka e
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o
knobblycats

Post by knobblycats »

After driving the Enyaq, I've come to dislike driving my VW Golf. So much so, I'm looking to switch it out for an older generation Nissan Leaf as a second car.

The road to our house floods quite often so having a Nissan Leaf that has a wading depth of up to 700mm is quite attractive!
Enyaq 60 Loft Energy Blue | Drive Package Basic | Parking Package Basic | Family Package Basic | Climate Package Plus | Assisted Drive Package Basic | 100Kw Charging
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Beninscotland wrote: ↑Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:47 am Yeah I drive a variety of cars (petrol, diesel, manual, automatic) and occasionally vans for my work and it is dead easy to forget some fundamentals.

Eg Volvo handbrake is activated (ie handbrake applied) by pushing the button down and deactivated by pulling the button up - counter intuitive in my opinion as traditional handbrake lever would be up to apply the brake and down to release, which is what all (at least of the makes I drive) other vehicle makes do.

Ever driven a Merc? No idea if they still have this but my 2012 C Class still used a system Benz had developed 100 years before, I guess ( deactivate handbrake with a lever on the right, and activate the handbrake with a pedal on the left !)
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post