Sudden drop in Range

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Rudesing

Post by Rudesing »

Certainly having conducted my experiment and proved that decent range / efficiency in colder weather is possible, then I'm going back to climate control heating and normal drive mode. Even if it does mean I have to charge a tiny bit more.

Pict

Post by Pict »

We bought our cars to enjoy and be used as normal. Heating as and when required, AC if necessary and charge when needed.

Don't understand why (unless you have to rely on public charging) you would not just use it as normal
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

I've read that the seals on an aircon system can dry out & fail if it's left unused for a time. Don't know if that still applies to modern systems but maybe another reason for not skimping too much on the a/c in winter?
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

MikeJL wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:01 pm I've read that the seals on an aircon system can dry out & fail if it's left unused for a time. Don't know if that still applies to modern systems but maybe another reason for not skimping too much on the a/c in winter?

I’ve noticed that having the A/C on, doesn’t impact the range at all - it’s the heater setting which does that. So activating A/C as well, appears to have no noticeable effect on range - with the added benefit of keeping windows clear. Almost certainly will have an impact in the summer when trying to cool the car, but now when we’re wanting to heat it up, the addition of A/C in conjunction with the heater, doesn’t appear to affect the range.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

This is still correct. There is an oil in the system as well as the refrigerant and this is moved round the system by the gas flowing and helps keep the seals lubricated properly. Aircon dries air (ie reduces humidity), so is as useful in winter as it is to cool the air in summer. Basically, stick the automatic climate control on something like 21C and forget about it. That's why I don't get these car reviewers who don't like the heater controls being on a touchscreen. How often do you actually change the settings? Other than putting on the windscreen demister when needed, I think my Outlander's been on Auto at 20C for the last four years. And that's got normal switches...
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

They want to switch it to 25°C so it heats up quicker! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Chris__M wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:31 pm They want to switch it to 25°C so it heats up quicker! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not such a bad idea 👍. This is something we’re experimenting with at the moment; 5 min blast at 30°C and then switch it off altogether for the rest of the journey -heating only the seats / steering wheel (subject to window misting).
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

Heh, yeah, it's not a 1970's car with mechanical heater controls. Climate control will automatically use maximum heat or cooling to get to the target temperature - in theory at a comfortable rate. My 1990's Subarus whilst they did have climate control, were a bit keen when you ask for a temperature more than 10C below what it currently is. Fans on full, aircon on full, freezing your fingers off and deafening you :D

Climate control monitors the cabin humidity as well as cabin temperature, also the external temperature and sunlight levels. So it can decide whether to heat, whether to cool, whether to dehumidify (ie a little heat plus aircon), which fans to use and how fast. Generally most modern systems do a pretty good job, whereas you're supposed to be concentrating on the road.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

Goaty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:39 pm
Chris__M wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:31 pm They want to switch it to 25°C so it heats up quicker! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not such a bad idea 👍. This is something we’re experimenting with at the moment; 5 min blast at 30°C and then switch it off altogether for the rest of the journey -heating only the seats / steering wheel (subject to window misting).
Nope. What you are describing is heating to a higher temperature, so that the residual heat will keep the cabin warm. Nothing wrong with that, except it is likely to be too hot for my comfort.

But what I was (jokingly) suggesting was setting it high so it will heat up *quicker*. I don't have my Enyaq yet (but soon!), but most heating and AC systems don't work that way.
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post