Sudden drop in Range

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

darkside66 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 pm As per the title I have noticed my range drop from around 270-290 last week with temps of 13-15c to today maximum mileage of 235 miles with an outdoor temperature of 4-5c, that was driving on a roads from Norfolk back to Leicestershire, what will it drop to if and when it gets really cold. :shock:
Have a look at Electric Vehicle Database. They publish the WLTP ratings, but also, more usefully, Real Range Estimations for mild and cold weather situations. The ranges that you have been experiencing seem to fall pretty much in their published ranges.
iV 80 Suite, Arctic Silver plus various packages. ME 3.1
Ordered late Oct 21 for delivery June 2022. Scheduled production now Week 29 (was previously late September). In transit 25 July 22. Delivered as ordered 17 August 22.

Thomas419924

Post by Thomas419924 »

Goaty wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:45 pm
Thomas419924 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:23 pm Would the heat pump make any difference in these temperatures?
Hoping you’ll be able to tell us soon 🤣👍
Me too lol
:D IV80 race blue , Suite interior, heat pump , 125Kw fast charging, Climate plus pack .ordered Oct 16th 2021.
Hillocklane

Post by Hillocklane »

Goaty wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:45 pm
Thomas419924 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:23 pm Would the heat pump make any difference in these temperatures?
Hoping you’ll be able to tell us soon 🤣👍
Have a heat pump.. Did a 400 mile round trip (90% motorway) on Saturday in a 11 degree climate. only got 2.9 miles per kWh… pre heated both ends of journey.

Based on OP stated economy, not convinced the heat pump makes a massive difference.

Thinking the real range over winter will be just sub 200 miles for motorway use. First cold snap this week… let’s see what happens.
Archer17

Post by Archer17 »

When we got the car in September 80% showed 286 miles. Today in colder weather 93% shows 274 and we expect that kind of difference having had an Outlander through two winters.

What was interesting was comparing how driver behaviour alters range. On Friday my wife and I travelled 37 miles from our Lincolnshire home to Sandringham. We took the exact same route there and back and the temperature hovered around 13.5 degrees. There was a gentle breeze from the south west. Traffic conditions were the same a steady 50-55 mph in traffic plus a bit of queuing around Kings Lynn.

On the way there wife driving saw 3.5 kw per mile, on the way back me driving 4 kw per mile. The only discernible difference I saw was that she accelerated a bit harder than I did and braked a bit more rather than anticipating as much and so using less regen. I don’t expect to see 4 again for a while though. Since September the average life time has been 3.5 kW (but it’s not seen a motorway yet).
Skoda Enyaq 80 Sportline collected 29/09/21. Quartz grey metallic, Pan roof, tow bar, 125 charging, Comfort seat, Drive Sport+, Climate pack+, Assisted Drive, Parking, Light and View and Convenience pack.
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

This morning -0.5, rate was ridiculous low, though the windows were cleared of frost in less than a minute, at 2.30pm temp around 8 degrees, got exact same kwh as I did when picked car up and temp was around 14degrees.
Rudesing

Post by Rudesing »

I do pretty much the same commute every day, and up until now my long term average has been 3.6m/kWh. Then this week, with the drop in temperature, I suddenly started getting only about 2.6m/kWh, especially in the mornings. Now previously I've just driven the car perfectly normally, Normal driving mode, and heating set to 21. So as an experiment, the last couple of days I have put the car into ECO mode, and turned off Climate control, and just using the heated seats and steering wheel - otherwise driving exactly the same. Doing this, I've actually achieved 3.8 to 4.0 m/kWh which I'm quite happy with. The likelihood is that I'll go back to just using Normal mode and with the Climate control on for comfort, as I can charge overnight at home anyway, but at least I know that the range in cold weather can still be managed quite well as and when I need to.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I've always preferred to have clear windows and be comfortable than try to eke out the last bit of battery power, in a car with misted up windows and unable to think properly due to being too cold ;) I suspect the financial difference of being comfortable and safe is pennies compared to suffering. Plus running climate control means it's actively removing water from the car interior (ie brought in on your coat), whereas not having the aircon on will just let it build up and make the misting worse.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
darkside66
Location: In The middle (Leicestershire) then over to the right (Norfolk)

Post by darkside66 »

RichR wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am I've always preferred to have clear windows and be comfortable than try to eke out the last bit of battery power, in a car with misted up windows and unable to think properly due to being too cold ;) I suspect the financial difference of being comfortable and safe is pennies compared to suffering. Plus running climate control means it's actively removing water from the car interior (ie brought in on your coat), whereas not having the aircon on will just let it build up and make the misting worse.
That's exactly my take on it i want be warm and dry and i'm able to charge at home every night, the longest journey i make is a weekly trip to Norfolk some 138 miles and when i arrive i can rapid charge so even in the depths of winter with the car all toasty and warm i cant see the range being a problem
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Mrs Darkside Vauxhall Mokka e
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

RichR wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am I've always preferred to have clear windows and be comfortable than try to eke out the last bit of battery power, in a car with misted up windows and unable to think properly due to being too cold ;) I suspect the financial difference of being comfortable and safe is pennies compared to suffering. Plus running climate control means it's actively removing water from the car interior (ie brought in on your coat), whereas not having the aircon on will just let it build up and make the misting worse.

Completely agree - I’m all for keeping the windows clear and the temperature comfortable. I suppose what you get with an EV - which is not so apparent with an ICE vehicle - is immediate feedback with regards to the settings you’ve chosen. You can quite literally see what effect different temperature settings have on the range. It becomes a bit of a game ! But it can also be frustrating I suppose for someone who’s mindset is focused on getting the best range possible at all times. I have a friend ‘on the spectrum’ as they say and something like this could cause him quite a bit of anxiety, I’d imagine.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

It can be quite a change getting used to doing things differently in an EV. The biggest difference is that you don't have to go to a special place to get fuel, it just happens at home when you're asleep. Once you adjust to that, the feeling that you need to have a full tank/battery all the time starts to recede. You don't need to charge it fully every time, just need enough to get to the next place you plan on charging, which 95% of the time will be home.

I remember a time when people didn't like running aircon as they perceived it to be a big drain on fuel economy on ICE cars. Yes, that was true in the 1970s when cars had relatively low powered engines and aircon systems weren't efficient. But on a 2000s car it's probably worse not having it on because cars are better sealed and have more soft surfaces, so rely on the aircon to get rid of humidity due to trapped moisture.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post