Impressed with iV80 range in the cold.

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Just come back from a round trip, Guildford to Birmingham NEC and back (no, not for the Antiques Exhibition currently on there!!)

246 miles covered, with 45 miles left. So 291 range !
Started with 100%, finished with 13%
Around 3 to 4 Celsius most of the time.
Had A/C on at 21C most of the way.

Drove with ACC activated for most of the journey and averaged around 45mph.

3.3 miles / kWh for outgoing trip.
3.8 miles / kWh for return trip.

Admittedly I drove slower than I usually would - and kept in the inside lane most of the time at around 56~60, but with ACC activated, the annoyance of being stuck behind lorries just vanished. Usual M42 / M25 issues at both ends.

I did this, to test range in the cold, whilst driving at a tolerable speed and keeping the cabin temperature comfortable enough.

Overall, pleased with this result!
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

darkside66
Location: In The middle (Leicestershire) then over to the right (Norfolk)

Post by darkside66 »

Now that’s got to be a benchmark 👍👍
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Mrs Darkside Vauxhall Mokka e
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

darkside66 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:42 pm Now that’s got to be a benchmark 👍👍

I normally drive at 70 ish but my meeting yesterday had no specific start time, therefore no need to rush. With it being so cold in the morning, and having a full battery, I thought it might be a nice idea to see what I could squeeze out of it. Theoretically I should have been able to get to Birmingham and back without a recharge somewhere, but I had in mind the effect of cold weather. Turns out I didn’t need to !

I usually hate being stuck behind lorries but you know what - activating ACC with a decent distance behind, I didn’t really notice ! I realise ~56mph motoring isn’t going to suit everyone, or even myself all the time, but I did prove to myself that it is possible to get very good range, in winter, on the motorway, with a comfortable cabin temperature.

246 miles covered with 45 miles / 13% left at the end of the trip 👍
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
orrery

Post by orrery »

I use the intelligent cruise control on the Leaf in the same way, sticking to the inside lane behind lorries.
I wouldn't recommend "tailgating" lorries, but locking in behind them with ICC is very economical. I don't know what control the Enyaq has over following distance, but on the Leaf there are I, II and III settings. I is too close for me, so I use II. III is less effective.
The other technique that is common with EVs is to slightly over-inflate the tyres. The Leaf is specified at 36 (lbs/sq in) but most people run at 38 or higher. The tyre pressures increase with running speed, so a cold setting of 38 will become 40 at motorway speeds. Looking at the economy being displayed on the dash, I suspect the warmer rubber becomes software and the pressure increases and that this reduces rolling resistance.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

This is what I found with my Outlander PHEV - if you slow down to 55-60mph it makes a massive difference. It's the constant slowing down and speeding up in heavy traffic that can make motorway driving tiring, which ACC solves. Also ditto on tyre pressures - some manufacturers do list a higher pressure for high speed usage (where the ability to deform to grip uneven roads is less important)

Add in full Travel Assist to take care of steering as well, keep the climate control at something comfortable, stick on an audiobook and there's no reason for long journeys to be energy sapping :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ There are about 4 settings I think for ‘default’ distance, and they all leave a respectable and safe gap between yourself and the vehicle in front. The distance also decreases as speed decreases, very much the same way as you’d do it yourself. Or increases when you speed up; It all feels very natural.

I’m guessing here a bit but I’d say the gap between yourself and a lorry at 55mph is at least 30m. Definitely not a tailgating distance. I remember Jeremy Clarkson joking about ACC distance in something he was driving ( a Jag?) with there being an “Audi Driver Setting” for sticking to less than 5m behind the vehicle in front 🤣
RichR

Post by RichR »

I found the Tesla M3 default distance setting to be way closer than I'd like to be at 70mph. But I wasn't sure how to change it whilst I was driving an unfamiliar car.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Better to measure the gap in seconds not metres. Highway Code recommends a minimum of two seconds in good driving conditions, hence the car varies the gap with speed.
Had an Audi with ACC & the shortest setting was labelled ’Sport’!
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
majo72

Post by majo72 »

Hi from Sweden!
3 to 4 degrees C is just midsummer night temp for us :D
Right now we’re at -8. What will happen at -20 I wonder. A bit worried what will happen when I get back from a whole day on ice fishing at -15. Will it be like an iPhone in winter? Dead in an hour? Scary thought.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

majo72 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:49 pm Hi from Sweden!
3 to 4 degrees C is just midsummer night temp for us :D
Right now we’re at -8. What will happen at -20 I wonder. A bit worried what will happen when I get back from a whole day on ice fishing at -15. Will it be like an iPhone in winter? Dead in an hour? Scary thought.
Yes I suppose it puts things into perspective 🤣. Not likely to see those sort of temperatures near London ☀️

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post