Efficiency with roof box

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
uhhu

Post by uhhu »

New Enyaq owner.

Has anyone got experience of motorway driving with and without roof box on the Enyaq and can share the difference in mi/kWh that they got?

I have just done a trip which I repeat several times a year and managed 2.6 mi/kWh. However, there was no roof box (which I will likely put on), and no family in the car, so I am looking for an idea as to how much impact this will have on the car as it may mean an additional or earlier stop on my journey.

Cheers.

RichR

Post by RichR »

There have been a couple of reports from people on here (and the Facebook group). You might have to do some searching to confirm, but I think with a reasonably aerodynamic roofbox they weren't getting much less than without.

You might want to consider driving slightly slower with a roof box (ie 60mph on motorways rather than 70mph) as above 40mph aerodynamic drag starts to become the main thing you're using power to overcome. Given you're only getting 2.6 mi/kWh, I assume you're either doing lots of stop/start driving or prefer to drive at or above the speed limit. You should be able to manage better on long journeys with a bit of experimentation with speed and how you slow down and speed up (try to use regen rather than the brake, try to accelerate gently and ease off as you approach your target speed for example).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Possibly irrelevant here, but when the kids were younger, we had the largest Thule system available at the time for all their baby stuff. I probably lost between 5 and 10 MPG in the 2009 Audi A4 Diesel Estate I had at that time. There was definitely a noticeable reduction in fuel efficiency. I imagine an EV could be similarly affected but as RichR says - maybe keep the speeds lower. I found ~56 MPH to be very efficient last week on the M40 (no roof box. We don’t use it anymore).
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
uhhu

Post by uhhu »

Thanks Rich. I'll search through.

Took delivery of the car (Enyaq 60) and had to drive it 230 miles to get it home on Friday. 2.6mi/kWh is based on: mostly motorway (95%), 3c-6c outside temp, air conditioning at 22-24c, heated seats on, heated steering wheel on, ACC set at 65mph, phone charging, radio on (Magic is now 100% Xmas :)), in Eco mode and a strong wind from all directions for most of the journey. I can afford to go as low as 2mi/kWh before I need to start worrying, so if the difference is less than .6mi/kWh I'll be fine.
What would 5-10MPG convert to in mi/kWh? 0.3mi/kWh? Sounds like it should be fine then
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ did you manage the 230 miles without having to recharge?
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

Probably that strong wind might account for the economy, you should see better when the weather's nicer. Heated seats and steering wheel draw very little current compared to the traction motor. Difficult to equate mpg to mi/kWh, as you gain electricity by regeneration, which petrol cars can't do :)

I think you'll be fine with a roofbox, you have to try quite hard to get an Enyaq below 2.0 mi/kWh.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
uhhu

Post by uhhu »

Goaty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 am /\ did you manage the 230 miles without having to recharge?
No, I stopped at a super charger for 30 mins to get fed and watered, and give the car a charge. Journey split into 140 miles, then 90 miles.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Hey

I added a post on here in October after my first drive with the roof box and fully loaded car.

It was 80 miles around 13 degrees on dry roads with a little
bit of wind. I got 3.2 kWh / mile average. Down from 3.8 kWh average without it.

The way back it was very windy, and very wet roads and about 8 degrees. I got 2.4 kWH / mile average.

In warmer weather in September I was getting 4.0 kWh / mile without roof box. This weekend with an empty car, with the cold weather and snow I was getting 2.1 kWH / mile.

The temperature and dry versus wet roads makes much more difference than weight and roof box.

Obviously if you need a roof box in this weather at the mo it’s not going to be very economical.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
uhhu

Post by uhhu »

Thanks chillyboy123.
Looks like your difference was .6. So even if I have the same kind of weather as I had on Friday, and the roof box causes 0.6 drop, I'll still be above 2.0mi/kWh - which is where I want to be. Going under that will give me the fear.
However, I've not factored in the weight of the family plus luggage yet. I can't see that making a huge difference.
Chris_twm

Post by Chris_twm »

I’d agree with chillyboy on this one - when warmer I was getting c3.7m/kWh which dropped to about 3.2 with a roof box on so I was reckoning getting about 80% of previous mileage.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post