Cold weather range on iv60

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
PGNR99

Post by PGNR99 »

Just adding to the chat here as a new owner of a 60 model. Concerned that it’s showing a range of 191miles max at charge when off the shelf should be 254.
Should I expect this to increase in warmer weather?
Does anyone else have a range this low at the moment?

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

PGNR99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:28 am Just adding to the chat here as a new owner of a 60 model. Concerned that it’s showing a range of 191miles max at charge when off the shelf should be 254.
Should I expect this to increase in warmer weather?
Does anyone else have a range this low at the moment?

Hi there - hopefully you’ve not been misled by a dubious sales person regarding the WLTP figures which if I recall correctly, is around 254 miles for the 60. In reality, the WLTP figures are extremely hard to achieve. The WLTP figures serve as a benchmark from test conditions which are identical for all manufacturers. Apples compared with apples, as they say.

I think 191 miles should be about right with careful driving in this weather, as the realistic range of the 80 is around 250 miles. I’ve achieved more than this but that’s through driving in a manner which probably doesn’t suit everyone!

So many driving variables will affect range, but you could expect higher range in warmer conditions.

The key to better range is accelerate gently and keep to around 60 mph on motorways if it’s not too frustrating to do so !!! Also keep the heating off if possible or at around 20 degrees C if you need it on. It does seem to need to be on at this time of the year anyway irrespective of having heated seats, as the windows tend to mist up with no a/c at all.

Good luck !
Last edited by Goaty on Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

The predicted range will be based on how it's been driven over the last few miles. Off the shelf, that won't be a good estimate of what you'll achieve. After 50 miles or so of typical driving, it'll be a better guess. Having said that, the WLTP figure is never intended to be a prediction of real-word range - it's just a set of standard conditions that make for a fair comparison of different cars under those conditions. You should expect real world range to be about 80% of the WLTP on average, but this will vary greatly by temperature, average speed, driving style, and so on. You can find more realistic estimates for different driving scenarios e.g. https://ev-database.uk/car/1279/Skoda-Enyaq-iV-60
There are a number of threads on this and other forums that discuss this topic in more depth, and with clearer explanations than I can conjure.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

Car generally projects 180 miles on 80% charge - but this dropped to 140 when very frosty recently. However this changed upwards as day got warmer and more or less settled back to the previous levels.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out when we get colder nights and days over a longer period.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.
maburrows251

Post by maburrows251 »

I have the iV80 and have seen a significant drop from 260 @80% to 180 @80%. not sure if this is normal or if it needs a question asking of Skoda?

Anyone have any thoughts?
RichR

Post by RichR »

Without knowing if you’ve changed your driving style or route it’s impossible to say. Perhaps you’re now more confident and pulling away from junctions more quickly than previously? Wet roads make a big difference too (more resistance for the tyres) as do wind and rain.

This is why the WLTP test exists, as it’s exactly the same for all cars in controlled conditions isolated from the effects of weather, road and other traffic.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
uhhu

Post by uhhu »

The link posted earlier is a good indication of where your mileage will go:
City - Cold Weather * 200 mi
Highway - Cold Weather * 145 mi
Combined - Cold Weather * 170 mi
City - Mild Weather * 300 mi
Highway - Mild Weather * 185 mi
Combined - Mild Weather * 230 mi
(https://ev-database.uk/car/1279/Skoda-Enyaq-iV-60)

This is just estimated, but gives you an idea as to how many miles you may get. I reckon, worst case, I'll get less than 145 miles at some point over winter before I add a roof rack, and so I will plan my journeys to charge at around 100 miles.
My other car has a "real range" of 225 miles, I didn't get close to that, not even in the summer. I mostly topped out at 190/200 before the weather started to get colder and wetter. Yesterday it had 160 miles of expected range from doing local city driving for the past week. That's 65miles less than the estimate on the Ev-Database.
This is obviously very personal to me, and my driving style (and my wife's love of A/C), but it gives me an indication of where the Enyaq will go.

My Enyaq IV 60 is sitting at 75% and 131 miles, so 175 miles at 100%
Last edited by uhhu on Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichR

Post by RichR »

And I’ll mention again that petrol and diesel cars also have a noticeable reduction in range in winter. But for some reason people get obsessed about EV range but not about petrol/diesel range.
The reason I sold my Subaru Outback 3.0 and bought an Outlander PHEV was that a change of job meant going from 60 miles a day of fast A road to under 10 miles a day of mixed roads. I went from over 350 miles to a tank to around 200. Range is affected by so many things.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

Drive tonight a around trip, about 250km in total in -17 to -21C (Finland, Tampere to Lahti) to test the consumption.
25kwh/100km or 2.49m/kWh is the result. (At the end of the trip).
Speed: acc on 85km/h (53mph) most of the time, a short 105km/h (62mph) stretch in both direction.
Overall not too bad considering the temperature. Main issue was charging where I got up to 54kW power at max, even the car could have charged at 100kW and charger supported 250kW. (Quite expensive paid 15eur for 30kWh, only if it was charging faster...)
Maybe should have studied how to get the car preheat the batteries for charging. Destination I set to the charger hoping that to be enough, but maybe it is not. Or simply no way to heat up the battery in this weather.
So charging was relative slow, was hoping to get better speed (even it is quite cold), and 40 mins of charging was not enough to heat up the battery to gain speed.
Few images at half way, charging at a kempower charger in Lahti (coldgating)...
I had the seat and the steering wheel heating on level1 for most of the trip. Temp at 21C. Have to say when it dropped below -20 it feels radiating though the windows, so it was not too warm inside the car but with those heaters active it was ok.

Screenshot_20211205-215700.jpg

IMG_20211205_215850.jpg

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Vasarolli wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:01 pm Drive tonight a around trip, about 250km in total in -17 to -21C

Wow - these are proper cold temperatures; not like the -2 or -3C we complain about here! I have driven in -30 before, in Warsaw.

Do you have a heat pump in your Enyaq? I assume these extreme cold temperatures are where a heat pump would be really useful.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post