Cold weather range on iv60

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
james_scott22

Post by james_scott22 »

Hi all. Has anyone else noted a significant dent in their projected range since it's got cold? By significant I mean as much as 50 miles less...
Enyaq 60 suite arctic silver

desholly

Post by desholly »

Hi That's not good with so much more cold weather to come this year, hopefully picking up my car next week
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

Yes, significantly (More than 50 miles drop). Struggled to get 180 miles out of our 80 this weekend.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
Rudesing

Post by Rudesing »

Visibly there has definitely been a drop in range / efficiency on my 80, but not unexpected. Unfortunately it is just a scientific certainty that batteries will not operate as well in certain temperature ranges.

I do find the range estimates currently to be a lot more volatile though, due to both the changing temperatures and also as most of my recent journeys have been quite short so the battery never warms up properly. The range calculation is therefore based on past journeys with a completely cold battery, and so probably underestimating what range I could achieve on a longer trip where the battery has time to properly warm up. Even just popping on the window heaters for a short period of time also impacts the displayed estimated range, as it no doubt thinks you will be driving with them on continuously.

I tend to look at the efficiency on a journey rather than the displayed estimated range. This latest weather has reduced it from 3.6m/kWh on my regular commute to around 3.0 m/kWh. That would still give my 80 an anticipated range of 240 miles, which may be less if driving motorway speeds, but equally may be offset by running a car where the battery, and the outside temperature during the day, has warmed up some more.

Interestingly, I have found that wet roads (of which we have had a lot recently) seems to have impacted the range moreso than the outside temperature.
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

I expect a 30-40% drop in winter depending on the temperature. Usually around -15c, currently -10c. Holiday travels more north may be around -25c.

Hard to say exact numbers, as snowy or slushy roads affect range too quite significantly.

Edit: However, highway speeds are reduced from 120 to 100 km/h during the winter which mitigates range losses quite a bit. Highway ranges are therefore 10-15% less more likely. (Compared with ABRP, summer +20c and dry roads, against winter -20c sligtly wet roads and some headwind)
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

This might not be the answer people are hoping for but a drop in driving speed will help to improve range.

Last week I did 246 miles on one return journey and still had 45 miles (13%) left. I started the day at 100% and didn’t top up. Mostly motorways but I stuck to just below 60 mph as a test. Heating on 21C. Outside temperature generally below 4C the whole time. Much of the journey was at around 2.5C.

I hate driving that slow usually but putting the ACC on took away the frustration ( ie let the car do the acceleration and braking on the motorway, as far as it’s safe to do so).
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

@Goaty how much time do you think the lower speed added to your Journey?
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

MikeJL wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:20 pm @Goaty how much time do you think the lower speed added to your Journey?

That’s a good question. I’ve provided a few screenshots on this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=652&p=5293#p5293

Traffic was quite heavy the last 10 miles of my journey into Birmingham and from Heathrow to Jct 10 of the M25 / A3

The rest of the way, I probably could have done 70 if I wanted to. Or 99 if the Rozzers weren’t looking 🤫!

I’m going to say going at ~56 to 60 probably added about another 30 ish minutes to a 120 mile journey. Not ideal if someone’s in a hurry but had I gone 70 ish, I might well have needed to stop and top up for a bit, at least in one direction - so the times may have been comparable. Tortoise and Hare, perhaps?

What it proved to me is that I can achieve ‘better than I expected range’ albeit at a slower pace. But ACC helped to avoid the drudgery of this, enormously.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

Finland as well, -10ish nowadays... Not good.
GOM shows about 190km only (80% charge), and seems it is quite realistic, about the same trips every day.
I think biggest issue is that when leaving from a heated garage it works okish (still over 25kWh/100km typically) but when coming back from work the car is cold and consumption goes very high 30+ ranges. When car is cold and stopping at a traffic light consumption for heating is going up easily to 7kwh/h later it drops to 2, maybe 1.7... very high I would say, heat pump is running high, you can feel on the steering wheel the vibrations.
Suppose if doing a longer run the consumption would stay around 25ish (but higher speeds might increase it more).
During summer we had around 15-18kwh/100km so it is quite a lot reduced. Manageable in town, but for longer trips a bit more concerning.
Have a trip from Tampere to Lappeenranta during Christmas (277km), wonder if I can make it even to Lahti half way of it gets colder...
Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

It occurs to me that if we, as a country, were serious about climate change, then a decrease to 60mpg as the maximum motorway speed would yield significant economies in (ICE) fuel use and carbon emmisions. I believe it would also reduce particulates greatly for all cars types.

Also, if everyone was travelling at 60mph, I think it would quickly feel less tiresome to do so.

Of course, it would probably be political suicide for any government, so it ain't gonna happen.
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post