Foot Trap

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Tamworth-Pig wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:37 pm … And why ever Skoda thought it a good idea to set the tiny gear knob 'forward for revers and backwards (sometimes twice) for forwards' I cant imagine, or maybe its a sublime message from the outset to remind us electric cars are like nothing we've experienced before?...
I believe it follows the layout of automatic gearboxes where reverse is towards the front of the car & vice-versa for forwards.

Agree that the advent of electric, gearbox-less cars would be a good time to adopt a more logical layout.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0

Tamworth-Pig

Post by Tamworth-Pig »

Bump: I just got back from the dealers and thankfully the footrest is now fixed. As I was advised too, in this thread, I explained to the technician that this might be a common thing and Skoda aught to be informed about it.

There’s an OBD something or other, up there above the foot rest, maybe that’s why the footrest had been messed about with in the first place, who knows :|
Enyaq Iv 60, Velvet Red, 19" Anthracite Wheels, Lounge Interior, Climate Package Basic, Drive Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Tow Bar Preparation.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Does seem strange as to why anyone would have removed that bit of trim and not refitted it properly afterward. But at least it's sorted now.

I've found I'm using that as a footrest now, whether it was intended for it or not. Convenient to put my right foot on when on cruise control :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

RichR wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:05 pm Does seem strange as to why anyone would have removed that bit of trim and not refitted it properly afterward. But at least it's sorted now.

I've found I'm using that as a footrest now, whether it was intended for it or not. Convenient to put my right foot on when on cruise control :)

I ‘think’ it might be intended as a foot rest - I certainly use it for this purpose. I’ve had a car before with a foot rest - quite possibly the Audi (makes sense as it’s a VAG car) and helps to ensure your right foot isn’t too far from the brake pedal 👍
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Tamworth-Pig

Post by Tamworth-Pig »

Its definitely is a foot rest, Its rolled over edge automatically guides ones foot smoothly down on to the accelerator peddle, but without the lower part being attached properly I daren't use it as such, its miles better now though.

This has got me thinking about foot peddles in cars... when you've got the accelerator depressed for speed, its effectively down in a hole between the foot rest and brake peddle, if you need the brakes promptly you've first got to get your foot up and off the accelerator and over and down on the brake, how may yards does that take at 60 mph ? a good few I'd bet and sometimes the difference between life and death maybe.

After only ever driving manual cars before getting my Enyaq, I've often wondered if auto drivers used their left foot on the brake peddle sometimes for rapid deceleration or maybe all the time while they drive and it seems that they do. Someone explained to me how he had always used the controls of every auto car he had driven in that way, and of his big troubles being forced to convert to the conventional way, due to modern ECU controlled cars refusing to accept his left foot on the brake. As a motorcyclist I realize I'm at greater risk than motorists in cars but then there's the reassurance of fingers permanently on the front brake lever and with due alacrity you can get the bike squealing its front tire in no time at all.

With electric cars being amazingly clever its a pity that the feature of a left foot permanently resting and ready on the brake peddle for instant declaration has been tied, or maybe it has?
Enyaq Iv 60, Velvet Red, 19" Anthracite Wheels, Lounge Interior, Climate Package Basic, Drive Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Tow Bar Preparation.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Every car I've ever driven has had the accelerator pedal lower than the brake pedal. But it's not that much lower so no issue to lift my foot up onto the brake pedal when needed.
I have used my left foot on the brake on an auto occasionally, it is an acceptable method of holding the car briefly when manoeuvring on hills. Generally on modern autos you don't need to though, as they have a hill holding function. The Enyaq despite not being an automatic does behave like one most of the time - if you press the brake on a hill, then release it, it'll hold the brakes on for two seconds (or until the accelerator is pressed). This is independent of the auto hold handbrake by the way.

I have also used left foot braking on manual gearbox cars - but that's been whilst using rally techniques to keep the boost up on my Pulsar GTI-R on back roads, and to get the brake pads up to temperature on the first lap on track days. Not really recommended to do on public roads unless you've had a fair bit of practice, as you can end up losing control if you overdo it... :D
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Tamworth-Pig

Post by Tamworth-Pig »

I get you RichR. The skills motor competition generate enable drivers to do things while staying safe in situations where average drivers would get in to trouble real fast.

I’ve got quite used to driving My car in B mode, I think its brill, I hardly touch the brake peddle now, literally using it as a switch for auto-hold only. My Mrs was horrified by D mode, saying the cars running away with her when lifting off the accelerator, shes used to engine braking, shes discovered B mode too and wont drive any other way now. Of course its the electronics doing it all.

This is my point, if the brake peddle could accommodate a left foot resting on it permanently, while at same time being ready for a hard-push due occurrence of any emergency and the electronics so good that it can be worked out exactly whats needed for the dynamics of the situation! then a permanently connected two foot two peddle driving method might be possible, a bit like having those fingers permanently on the hair-trigger of a bikes front brake.