Charging Etiquette, when other car has finished charging 100%

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
orrery

Post by orrery »

If you unplug another car then make sure that you take a photo of the display showing that the car wasn't charging when you unplugged it.

You'll mostly get aggression from the unplugee (?) who might not know that the car had finished charging when you pulled the plug. It is possible for cars or chargers to throw a fault after the owner has departed for his full English, leaving the car plugged in but not charging. It has happened to me. It is also possible with some chargers to hit the emergency stop button and then unplug the other car and people have had this done to them - some people feel they have more right to the charger than you do.

I did get a mouthful from one guy I unplugged, showed him the photo and he just deflated with a "Oh, er, right"
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

My car is set to keep the charging cable locked. So probably you can't just unplug as such, but need to break something. Not sure on fast chargers but suppose it is the same. For type 2 it is to protect your cable not to get stolen. Maybe you can unplug the other end, not sure what happens if that gets wet for example ..
So I'd prefer not to get unplugged but contacted somehow
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

Vasarolli wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:20 pm My car is set to keep the charging cable locked. So probably you can't just unplug as such, but need to break something. Not sure on fast chargers but suppose it is the same. For type 2 it is to protect your cable not to get stolen. Maybe you can unplug the other end, not sure what happens if that gets wet for example ..
So I'd prefer not to get unplugged but contacted somehow
If using any station with a cable attached I.e. fast charger it becomes unlock second it hits 100%.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

That's good to know @frankfurterbear1. Mostly those cables are quite short though, so unless it is on the opposite side (like a Tesla) it might be tricky to use?
Anyway if hit the 100, then it's fair enough.
gap998

Post by gap998 »

As I'd been on the other side of a green-washed charger a few times, I made a laminated A4 sign for my Outlander saying "If you have a full EV Please cal me & I'll move" with my mobile number and put it on the inside of the driver's door window.

Been called a few times by grateful EV drivers and returned a few times to others who were happy to wait for me but appreciated my sign - Also had one guy who said I shouldn't be using the charger at all! - So I made him wait until I got to the 80% shut-off :D

I'll make a similar sign when I get the Enyaq, but the app sounds good. I'm sure there will be plenty of inconsiderate tossers around as EV uptake increases, so the more courteous drivers who play the game, the better. Pay it forward and all that. :D
Enyaq iV60 Loft 100kW Charging, Arc. Silver, Regulus 19", Heat Pump, Ass'd Drive Pack, Parking+, Drive Sport, Conv.+, Transport Pack

Order 2-11-21 - Built 22-08-22 - Collected 28-09-22 - Drive Fault 4-10-22 - Back to Dealer 18-10-22 - Fixed 17-11-22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post