Can anybody explain charging

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
FranHG

Post by FranHG »

New to this charging malarkey and trying to get my head around it, particularly for public charging.

We upgraded to the 100kw charging on our iv60. So if, for example i wanted to charge from 0-100% (and I know that is highly unlikely but want to know for a ‘full tank’) how long would it take on
150kw charger
100kw charger
50kw charger
22kw charger
7kw charger

How many kw does the car hold? We’ve only had the car a few weeks but at 100% it only seems to show us 200 mile range. (We did the first couple of charges to 80%, then 90% as advised by dealer).
We’ve just completed our first long distance journey (210 miles and had to top up half way and again on arrival.. is this normal?)

I’m still used to petrol station mentality and am used to pulling in, filling up and off I go.
Iv60 Suite 100kw, Arctic Silver, Battery Pack/Heat Pump, Assisted Drive, Chrome, Climate, Comfort Seat, Convenience, Drive, Parking Pack

Ouvavou

Post by Ouvavou »

As I don’t have my IV60 yet this answer is purely based on what I have seen on YouTube - specifically the charging curve for a 77kw ID4.

If you’re battery temperature is in the sweet spot (around 25C I think but I may be wrong) I think a charge from 0-100% on a 150 or 100kw charger (assuming both can actually deliver 100kw) would be about an hour. 50/22/7 would all be even more guesswork by me so probably not worth trying.

With regards to your 210m journey - could you not have just done one charge on the return part (I know it depends on charge availability on the route)? If you can let it get down to below 20% you’ll get max charging speed (again - battery temp depending) and you wouldn’t need to fully charge to 100% - just charge enough to get you home with enough spare to make you happy.
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus alloys,
Packs: assisted drive+, climate+, Drive, Light & view, parking, convenience+, Transport, Family, Rear side airbags, towbar, 100KW. Zappi & Solar.
Ordered 20/10/21 - Delivered 19/07/22
Ouvavou

Post by Ouvavou »

This is the ID4 charging curve that I mentioned - it charges at a higher rate than an IV60 but has a bigger batter so I assume the IV60 & id80 0-100% charge times will be similar.

https://insideevs.com/news/495561/volks ... cy-amazes/
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus alloys,
Packs: assisted drive+, climate+, Drive, Light & view, parking, convenience+, Transport, Family, Rear side airbags, towbar, 100KW. Zappi & Solar.
Ordered 20/10/21 - Delivered 19/07/22
RichR

Post by RichR »

It's quite a change, but if you can try to get away from the petrol station mentality. Chop your journey up into sections (my bladder determines how long I can comfortably drive for, about 2 hours/150 miles). Use Zap-Map or ABRP to find places to stop and charge, use the toilet, get a cup of tea etc. Aim to be only charging for 15 minutes at each stop, unless it's for a meal. Charge enough to do the next section, not to 80% or more. It's more about charging small amounts often, than filling to the top occasionally.

Batteries charge fastest when they're low. So to get short charge stops you don't really want to be charging more than 60% unless you have to. Always charge at home if you can, because it'll be much cheaper than public charging even if you don't have off-peak rates.

Definitely have a play with Zap-Map and ABRP (abetterrouteplanner) to see how you can break longer journeys up.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

Here's a curve for iv60
https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/art ... a-Enyaq-iV

10-80% charging approximated with this curve would mean around 30minutes. Going to full would be another 30-45minutes.

As stated above, battery conditions affect charging speeds and as seen from the curve, you will get the max potential only on low percentages.

Charging might seem hard to grasp at first, but you will get the hang of it soon.
Roo1980

Post by Roo1980 »

FranHG wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:48 am So if, for example i wanted to charge from 0-100% (and I know that is highly unlikely but want to know for a ‘full tank’) how long would it take on
150kw charger
100kw charger
50kw charger
22kw charger
7kw charger

How many kw does the car hold? We’ve only had the car a few weeks but at 100% it only seems to show us 200 mile range. (We did the first couple of charges to 80%, then 90% as advised by dealer).
We’ve just completed our first long distance journey (210 miles and had to top up half way and again on arrival.. is this normal?)
The usable capacity of the 60 is around 58kw (they keep some capacity spare to help with battery balancing and other things).
Around 200 miles seems right in the real world. The WLTP range is a nonsense headline figure reached from a set lab test. Most people won't get that in the real world (it's the same with petrol and diesel).
With charging, the skoda website tells you most of what you will need to know. But here they are...
Any charger 100kw DC and above: Around an hour to get from a low charge to 100% as for these, the charge rate is set by the car (100kw max)
50kw DC: Probably around 1h 30mins as these can supply less than the car can take, so it will be slower.
22kw AC: around 6 hours. The maximum the car can handle on an AC charger is 11kw
7kw AC home charger: around 9 hours
2 kw (3 pin plug granny charger): Around 31 hours.
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

I get 180-185 Miles range at 80% on my IV60 which I think is okay for the time of year.

Charging rate on high speed charger is dependent on the level of charge in the battery - it needs to low (less than 20%) to get fastest rate then will slow down during the charge as the battery fills up.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.
FranHG

Post by FranHG »

The car was telling us to recharge at 35/40%.
Iv60 Suite 100kw, Arctic Silver, Battery Pack/Heat Pump, Assisted Drive, Chrome, Climate, Comfort Seat, Convenience, Drive, Parking Pack
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

FranHG wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:10 pm The car was telling us to recharge at 35/40%.
Strange my IV60 told me when it dropped to 20%. Were you travelling to a entered destination that your Enyaq thoughr it would not reach without a charge?
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
FranHG

Post by FranHG »

We were using Waze as its a great satnav and works great with airplay. We only had a mileage v range variance of about 10 miles for our end destination but as the range seems, sometimes, to plummet we knew we would need a recharge. We were at or around 40% when we started looking to charge. First one not working, second one occupied and then it flashed up telling us we needed to recharge vehicle.
On the long journey we were doing we must’ve added over an hour just with keep stopping to try and charge but finding we couldn’t for various reasons. Wasn’t the best first experience of EV for a long trip

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post