Heating

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
FranHG

Post by FranHG »

Can anybody explain the cabin heating for me.

We’ve just got our Enyaq 60 and on a recent long journey struggled to get inside warm without turning it right up to approx 24 degrees. At 20 degrees it seemed to blow cold air.

We also read something about not being able to have heating on if air con is on? Without aircon the windows fog up??

I’ve tried looking at online manual but its not very obvious (or I’m just being thick)!

Does the heatpump control the cabin temperature or does it regulate battery temperature to improve range?

Does having the cabin heating on or aircon on drain the battery?
Iv60 Suite 100kw, Arctic Silver, Battery Pack/Heat Pump, Assisted Drive, Chrome, Climate, Comfort Seat, Convenience, Drive, Parking Pack

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi - I’ve found the most optimal setting is to have the temp on 20 or 21 C, and position the air to blow on the windscreen and the face vents. I don’t really like floor vent heating but that’s just a personal choice.

Absolutely leave A/C on though because the windows do indeed mist up quickly without it, this time of year. Monitoring the current, appears to show the A/C being ‘on’ makes no difference to the energy consumption unlike in an ICE vehicle. However higher heating settings do. What I mean is, you might as well have the A/C activated when you have the heating on, as the addition of A/C doesn’t appear to adversely affect range - yet provides window defogging benefits.

I have also noticed that once the car has reached the set temperature, the airflow cools - which isn’t ideal, I agree. I tend to switch face vents off when this happens although in my experience it hardly ever happens at 22C and above.

Have you tried leaving the setting to Auto ? Not sure if that helps with preventing cooler aiflow once the set temperature has been reached.

Something to bear in mind - I think we all panic a bit at seeing the range drop when we put the heating into a level we’re comfortable with, but it does only seem to shave about 10 to 15 miles off the range, when the set temperature is around 21c. That’s actually not that much really and might possibly be even less than that anyway because it’ll start to draw less energy once it gets closer to the set temperature.

Heated seats hardly affect the range at all - not sure if you have those.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
orrery

Post by orrery »

Goaty wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:59 am I have also noticed that once the car has reached the set temperature, the airflow cools - which isn’t ideal...
Most cars do it. They sense the interior air is up to temperature, even though most of the cabin is still near freezing, so they start blowing cold.

From cold, set the heating at 18C. That should heat you up. As you sense it getting cold, click the temperature up to 19C, then 20C etc. By the time you get to 21, the interior temperature should be reasonably stable.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

orrery wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:21 pm
Goaty wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:59 am I have also noticed that once the car has reached the set temperature, the airflow cools - which isn’t ideal...
Most cars do it. They sense the interior air is up to temperature, even though most of the cabin is still near freezing, so they start blowing cold.

From cold, set the heating at 18C. That should heat you up. As you sense it getting cold, click the temperature up to 19C, then 20C etc. By the time you get to 21, the interior temperature should be reasonably stable.

/\ perhaps on Auto but every car I’ve had before (ICE) including our current Qashqai, blows heat continuously at the temperature that’s been set - rather than starting to blow ambient unheated air once the set temperature has been reached (in manual mode at least).
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
orrery

Post by orrery »

Goaty wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:09 pm perhaps on Auto but every car I’ve had before (ICE) including our current Qashqai, blows heat continuously at the temperature that’s been set - rather than starting to blow ambient unheated air once the set temperature has been reached (in manual mode at least).
That wouldn't work. In cold conditions at 5C, with rain pelting on the car and high winds, blowing air into the car at 21C just wouldn't work in keeping the internal temperature at 21C.
Similarly, on a stinking hot day, with an outside temperature of 32C and kWs of heat streaming in through the windows, blowing 21C air into the cabin wouldn't keep the cabin at 21C.
The heater air may well feel closer to 21C as time goes on, if the temperature difference is small. If the temperature difference is high then the heater air will need to move towards the extreme to compensate for for heat loss or gain through the cabin windows and walls. The situation becomes more complex if you consider that the heater tries to stratify the air to give you cooler air towards your face, meaning it needs higher temperature air lower down to compensate.
All I do is recommend that you try what I say: On a cold day set your target temperature to 18C. The heater will blow hot and then you will feel that the air has gone cold. Tap the temperature up a notch, then rinse and repeat. You'll stay warm and you won't end up driving in a sauna.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I also tend to set the heating to about 18C on cold days, then increase later if I'm not warm enough. I use auto mode all the time, as I'd rather let the car take care of keeping the humidity in check whilst not wasting power. There's no point making the climate control system work flat out to get it to 20/21C when you're getting in from under 10C outside temperature, you won't be able to tell the difference. Use steering wheel and seat heaters too as much as possible, as these don't need to be on long and don't use much power - but have a big effect on how warm you feel.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Anyone else have frost problems? I preheat the car for about 3-5 mins and it's toasty getting in. However afrer starting off I get messages such as Front assist unavailble and Travel assist unavailable. Clearing the frost from the front camera seems to fix.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I guess maybe do a windscreen wash to clear the camera area and remove any moisture that might freeze from the glass in front of it? I have to admit I like a very clear windscreen so tend to do a wash and wipe most times when it's not actually dry.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Perchede wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:46 am Anyone else have frost problems? I preheat the car for about 3-5 mins and it's toasty getting in. However afrer starting off I get messages such as Front assist unavailble and Travel assist unavailable. Clearing the frost from the front camera seems to fix.

Had similar messages with a bird 💩 across the camera area a few weeks ago.

Haven’t generally had frost related problems, possibly as I have a heated front windscreen as part of the Climate Plus package (my only ‘Plus’ pack 😆).
orrery

Post by orrery »

Perchede wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:46 am Anyone else have frost problems? I preheat the car for about 3-5 mins and it's toasty getting in. However afrer starting off I get messages such as Front assist unavailble and Travel assist unavailable. Clearing the frost from the front camera seems to fix.
I get similar problems on the Leaf, which seem to relate to condensation on the windscreen camera. I get a warning message telling me that something or other isn't available. It puts the wipers on intermittent too, presumably to try to clear it and if I stop the wipers, then I get the red anti-collision warning immediately. Some of this tech is a bit flakey still.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post