ACC

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

Had my Enyaq for 3 weeks now and been experimenting with ACC. Generally find it quite good, providing one accepts it is not foolproof, for example, does not always slow down sufficiently for bends. There is stretch of single carriageway on the A31 which has a very clearly marked 40 mph limit. For no obvious reason my car -in the middle of this 40 mph zone -suddenly ignores the speed limit and accelerates to 60 mph, it happens in the same spot every time. Have had ACC on previous VAG cars and occasionally found they were confused with speed limits on motorways when passing by/ over/under a 30mph limit zone.

It only happens on this particular stretch of road so now disengage ACC here. Anyone else had a similar experience?
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Indeed - actually the other way around though; there’s a 40 mph section which is about a mile long (Clay Lane, Guildford) and ACC / Speed Limiter always slows me down to 30 mph half way along for no apparent reason.

ACC is very useful but not foolproof and you certainly need to have your foot ready to brake (in your case) or accelerate (in my case).

ACC also sometimes robotically sticks to the speed limit in some places where you might prefer to slow down - so you do have to use it with caution.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

It is a travel aid, it is not perfect or self driving (though on motorways it’s pretty good generally). As the driver you are still driving the car and taking over or correcting the car when it gets it wrong. Give the technology another 3-4 years and it’ll be much better.

I find on a lot of rural roads it defaults to 30mph as it doesn’t always see the National sign and so I assume it looks on the map but fails to find a speed there either so picks something likely to be safe and legal.

It’s no big deal, just tap the cruise stalk up or down as required to set the correct speed.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

Had a second test drive today (and placed an order, the long wait begins!) and was having fun with the ACC. Was surprising when it followed the car in front into the roundabout! Also when we came off the traffic slowed dial carriageway onto the clear dual carriageway and it accelerated to 70!

With knowledge of its limitations though, I think it will be a great aid, particularly on longer journeys and stop-start traffic.
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi
RichR

Post by RichR »

When there’s something for it to follow it really is very good. I especially like when you’re in a queue of slow moving traffic. You can just sit there and listen to the radio and not touch the pedals which is so much less stressful.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

RichR wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:46 pm When there’s something for it to follow it really is very good. I especially like when you’re in a queue of slow moving traffic. You can just sit there and listen to the radio and not touch the pedals which is so much less stressful.

Absolutely 👍

Additionally for someone who wants to squeeze out as much motorway range as possible and isn’t fussed about driving at 70mph, ACC helps maximise range by sticking to the speed of a vehicle on the inside lane in front (e.g a truck going 56mph) but doing this at a safe distance someway behind, whilst taking a lot of frustration away from this type of driving. Might even eliminate the need for a charge stop somewhere, and result in you getting to your destination the same time as if you’d driven at 70 (and had to stop for a quick charge).
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Yep I was thinking exactly that. There may be situations where you can actually get somewhere more quickly by driving more slowly. When I get my Enyaq, I'll be getting busy with Excel to work out what the break-even points are. As aerodynamic drag (single biggest loss) is proportional to the speed squared, a little extra speed costs quite a bit more range. As an example, 72mph is 44% more aero drag than 60mph. Add in the additional rolling resistance (which is proportional to speed) and that 12 extra mph is really punishing your range. You can also see how a 5 mph following wind (which you can barely feel when standing still) can give you a dramatically different efficiency to the 5mph headwind on the return journey.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yes - you'll find a noticeable difference in mi/kWh consumption figure between a constant 70mph and a constant 65mph, and even more if you drop below 60mph. Sitting on ACC behind trucks at about 56mph really does give a good increase in range over doing about 70mph and overtaking things doing slightly less. It also makes for a more relaxed journey - yes, you might get there 30 minutes later on a really long journey, but so what? I'd rather arrive fresh than stressed slightly earlier.

If you haven't already, have a watch of some of Bjorn Nyland's 1000km challenge YouTube videos. These are all about driving 1000km as quickly as possible (within the speed limit). There's an art to keeping the battery as low as you dare, so it charges as quickly as possible - and only putting in just enough to get you to the next charging stop. You may have more charge stops, but because the battery can charge significantly faster when it's more empty, three charges from 10%-40% can be a lot faster than one charge from 10% to 80%, even allowing for hookup time. Also Zap-Map and A Better Route Planner are great for working out where to stop and charge on longer trips, they'll often suggest a 5 minutes charge (which is enough for you to go to the toilet).
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

The only proviso on some of the 1000km challenges is there often done at night or during quiet periods in Norway where it seems you are pretty much guaranteed an empty fast charger at every location. Not sure this will apply here in the UK at the weekend or other high demand periods, so you may be able to plan a theoretical charge scenario which may not work out in practice if all chargers at a location are occupied. Have no personal experience yet, but recently stopped at the services on the M27 heading North to find a single charger which was in use.

Others with greater experience may be able to advise what works best.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
orrery

Post by orrery »

My biggest gripe with it is this:

I set the CC to 45 on country roads. We hit a 40 area, and it slows down, we hit a 30 area and it slows down. All good so far. protecting me from speeding. Then ...

We hit a de-restriction sign and speeds up to 60, which is unsafe for the road. It is also much higher than I set, which, as far as I am concerned is a big no-no.

Do I have something wrong in the set up, or do I have to have this behaviour if I have control from traffic signs turned on?
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.