Automatic dipping wing mirror when in reverse

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RichR

Post by RichR »

For anyone struggling to work out how to get the left wing mirror to dip when parking, this might help. First, you need electric seats, as the mirror positions are stored in the seat memories ie you can have a normal and a dipped position stored for each of the seat memories. I suspect the mirror dipping logic is contained in the seats rather than the mirror control unit.

Put the car in reverse, set the mirror control knob to L and move the knob to dip the mirror how you want it. Put it into D then turn the mirror control to 0 and the mirror should return to its normal position. If you now store the seat position it’ll also store the dipped mirror position.

Now if you leave the mirror knob in L it will dip when you put it into reverse, and return to normal once you start moving forward at more than about 10mph or a hundred metres or so.
If you want it to go up to normal position whilst reversing, simply turn the knob to 0. Similarly if you don't want it to dip, leave it in 0 rather than L.

I don't think the manual is particularly clear about how it's supposed to work. 🙂
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

That’s very helpful - took me a while to to work it out, despite having it on my previous VAG (Tiguan). If I recall correctly one of the confusions in the Manual is to turn the mirror switch to the RIGHT, I even queried this with my Dealer who thought the manual was correct. In the end worked it out by trial and error and previous experience.

I only have Drivers electric seat adjustment (Mrs Dorsetandy can manage manual adjustment) and reverse mirror dip works fine with this setup.

After 4 weeks of ownership that just leaves the night reverse camera adjustment ( thanks for the advice on the forum) and switching navigation to night mode which simply does not work even if I change setting to night mode - will ask the Dealer to try and sort this out when the car is back with them.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
Susans Dad

Post by Susans Dad »

I can confirm RichR, that's how I got it to work, phew.
Ordered 21 July 2021 - Enyaq iv 80 , Artic Silver, 21 Betria wheels, Light & view pack +, Infotainment pack +, Assisted drive pack +, Comfort seat pack +, Parking +, Climate pack +, Driving sport pack, Pan roof & now 125kW fast charge
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

Why would one need to move mirrors for parking? (A serious question) i never found the need
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Erakettu wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:01 pm Why would one need to move mirrors for parking? (A serious question) i never found the need

Definitely helps with judging the distance of the wheels to the kerb, to avoid scuffing nice alloys ;-)

Also helps to get the car nice and straight when reversing into lined-bays.

I dip my mirrors all the time, for these reasons. I have however disabled the feature where both mirrors dip together, as I prefer to control them independently.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

Hmm ok. I have my mirrors always set so I can see a slice of the car, right side a little lower. Can see lane markers and kerbs fine, i think. Can visualize the rear accurately when reversing, so no need for parking sensors.

Will test this later though, see what I might have been missing all these years
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yeah, I have to confess I’ve never needed to dip the mirror for parking as I tend to have the left one a little lower and also use the rear camera to get an idea of how straight I am and how close to the kerb. I learnt to drive in the days before electric mirrors on most cars so just got into the habit of learning where the tyre is in relation to what I can see in the mirror.

Also don’t forget the Enyaq rear camera has a wide angle mode (press the icons at the top). It’s meant for when reversing out of a space to see if anything is coming. But it’s good to see the kerb of parallel parking too.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I sit very high up in any car I drive, so my mirrors are generally tilted to suit my driving position (so usually less kerb / white line visibility).

I learnt in the days when you could easily replace plastic wheel trims - in the unlikely event of actually scuffing a tiny 13” trim!

It’s just a habit I’ve got into over the last decade or so, since having to regularly find almost non-existent parking spaces down a narrow, steep Victorian road with wonky alloy-killing kerb stones.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

And now that I think of it, street parking here in Finland is quite liberal. I'm not sure if there's any rule regarding how close to kerb one has to park. Never heard anyone getting fined for parking too far from kerbs.

As far as I know the law is vague and states "leave as much room for passing cars as possible". So not necessary to stress over that so much. Parallel parking is something that automatically might bring me close to the sides
RichR

Post by RichR »

Goaty wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:55 pm I learnt in the days when you could easily replace plastic wheel trims - in the unlikely event of actually scuffing a tiny 13” trim!
Ooh fancy, plastic wheel trims 😄. Just steel 13”s on my first car (Renault 5 1.1 TL). Then 13” alloys on the next two (Renault 5 1.7 Monaco and Renault 5 GT Turbo). Big tyres on all though so kerbing not really an issue.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post