Domestic electricity tariffs - 2022 price cap changes

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Dad

Post by Dad »

I thought I’d start a separate thread to discuss electricity tariffs and the potential increase when the price cap changes in April due to the energy crisis. Also applicable if your fixed rate deal expires this year… are you concerned what your new tariff will be?

When we ordered our Enyaq, we assumed we would have access to low overnight tariffs of ~5p. Unfortunately our energy provider, Igloo, melted away into a puddle of water and we were automatically moved to EoN on a 21p flat tariff with no opportunity to negotiate anything better. So it costs us about £12 to fully charge the car at home instead of about the £3 we had predicted.

There was some talk of the rates getting better by the Spring 2022 but from all the recent talk of the price cap changes I just don’t see that as a reality. What could the new rate of electricity be from April onwards? 30p? More? We will just have to wait and see.

On top of this we are finding that the range we are achieving from the car during these winter months on short stop start journeys are far less than we had anticipated. The result is that the cost of ‘fueling’ the car is significantly more than we had hoped originally. It’s still less than our previous Discovery of course but not quite so much the bargain we thought it would be.

None of this is aimed at the Enyaq, it’s about EV costs in general. We do love the Enyaq and are still pleased with our choice.

So getting back to the thread title, are you concerned that your 5p over night tariffs may disappear and be replaced with something significantly higher?
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514

RichR

Post by RichR »

We too had our supplier go under, and got transferred to British Gas's 21p flat rate. It's not ideal, but it's still massively cheaper than petrol. We'll see come April what's about.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
martinq

Post by martinq »

Good shout. Think I'll be spending more time down the local shopping retail park. Saying that I'm not sure 5hrs of shopping by the family will make the free 22kw charging viable :-)
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

We’re on a bargain 12.69p / kWh until August this year - and then indeed, into the unknown.

I’m with Octopus, but I’m reluctant to switch to their Go rate at the moment, as their peak rate is something like 24p. I’m better off keeping the rate I have, for as long as possible.

Actually just had a look and they’ve put their off-peak Go rate up to 7.5p. Possibly for new customers?

5BA8E7F5-5536-414A-A158-BFEB86F26219.jpeg

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Ok, so according to my Octopus Energy app, my ‘GO’ rates-should I choose to accept them (for Guildford) - are as shown:

626F049D-CC82-4073-8B81-209F5C4CFB7F.jpeg

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

martinq wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:11 pm Good shout. Think I'll be spending more time down the local shopping retail park. Saying that I'm not sure 5hrs of shopping by the family will make the free 22kw charging viable :-)
Remember the Enyaq (like most European EVs, other than Renault) only charges at up to 11kW on AC chargers. So you won't get the full 22kW on that charger.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

I went with Octopus early last year and got 15p kW/hr flat rate. I was lucky !

We currently spend about £60 a month on electric.
To charge my EV at home on the flat rate now costs about £8 a time, and at approx 3 times a month I estimate = £24 (equiv petrol was over £50)

So my total electric bill is currently around £84 a month now.

Now if I changed to get the Octopus GO rate at 7.5p for 4 hours at night, my flat rate would go up to 30p kW/hr ! Thats the cost for Octopus GO in my area :(
So my home usage would double to £120 but It'll only cost £12 to charge my EV instead of £24.

New monthly bill would be £132 !!!

NO BRAINER !!

I'll stick with my current tariff for another 16 months and hopefully things would have calmed down in 2023.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a low rate, just hope Octopus dont go under !
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ I made myself a spreadsheet which enables me to throw various scenarios into it. Indeed, no brainer for me to pass on the Go rates at present… but the clock is ticking. We may well have a second EV by August 2022 but it’s only likely to do 50 miles per week, if that - so not really going to get much benefit from cheaper night rates.
We use a lot of electricity during the day which can’t really be shifted to night.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

I think most EV owners will suffer come April.
I'm sure podpoint will drop the free charge at retail outlets.
And what will the likes of Ionity and others charge then ? Are they currently price capped?
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

Like the others, I expected to be able to select from cheap over night tariffs when I ordered car in July. Even then it was always going to be a balance between increased daytime rate plus cheap EV tariff against fixed daily rate. As time has passed I’m now stuck on 18.8 p/KWh until September. That said, the cheaper overnight rates would not have saved me money overall. More worried about how the rates in general will increase later on in the year
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post