Range anxiety!

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
sam_vasu

Post by sam_vasu »

Sorry if this is quite a “basic” question!

When I first picked up my 60 I knew the ~256 miles would be difficult to achieve but figured that it MUST be relatively close…ish.

I picked up the car on a displayed 200 and the dealer was quick to inform me that after plenty of driving/charging I should see this increase. However all I have seen so far is a gradual drop - a full charge is (after 1800 miles) never showing more than about 175 miles of range… way off the potential 256. I’m not driving like a maniac so what is doing this? I love the car but am starting to get a bit worried about the battery. What would you suggest?

BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

It's due to cold weather conditions nothing wrong with the car or battery or your driving style, summer months you'll see you range increase to upper 200 miles.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

This is a subject I really need to vent about.

People seem so obsessed about the range car reports and compare it to the 'promised' WLTP range. Both of these numbers are faulty and should not be trusted in the first place.

The WLTP figure is brought via standardized testing, that consist of both city- and highwaylike driving in otherwise optimal conditions (read: laboratory conditions).

The car given range (guess-o-meter, or GOM) is an estimate your vehicle calculates using past driving behaviour. As always, driving habits and conditions affect this reading. Temperature, wind, rain, snow, elevation, speed, load weight, amount of regen done, heating and AC are things that affect consumption. Again, all of this is hard to control.

If you want to see nice range projections or drive really far on one charge, take nice warm summer day and drive 25mph non-stop on a flat surface with no AC. You will reach over 400mi with iv80.

Rather than reading GOM, please learn to refer your car consumption numbers instead. See how they evolve during drive, and make your own calculations instead.

/Endofrant. Propably missed something too, so to be continued
sam_vasu

Post by sam_vasu »

Thanks - I’m new to the whole EV thing so I know I’m the sort of person that more seasoned drivers would want to rant at… but I’m learning. That’s the whole point of forums!

Genuinely had no idea that weather would have such an impact on projected range - they’re not exactly quick to tell you that at the dealership. It’s interesting how range-focused EVs are. Modern ICE cars have the option to display estimated range but people normally just look at how full their tank is and work it out from there. Maybe I should just focus more on the battery icon and less on the numbers.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

@samVasu, it doesn’t sound at all like a faulty battery 👍. We’re all experiencing this during cold weather periods and it is to be expected unfortunately.

A few tips to help get the best range (in my experience since November / 2200 miles).

Motorways - keep below 70 mph. Actually aim for 56 to 60 ish! Can be done easily and frustration-free if you have ACC. Not so easily if you don’t.

Heating - use seat / steering wheel heating more than cabin heating (although in this weather, I generally have to have the a/c on anyway, to prevent window-misting). Keep the temperature below 21 C.

Acceleration - gently does it, like in any car.

B mode or D mode - Whilst B mode does give more ‘braking reassurance’, once you’re used to how the Enyaq handles, D-mode allows more coasting, which can help to reduce consumption.

Hope this helps.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Short trips in the cold have a grater impact on rangle as the battery has to be re-heated for each trip.
Pre-heating also reduces range, however it is so nice having a warm cabin and a clear windscreen.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

If wee change the fuel needle in every ICE car over night to a guess-o-meter displaying millage left like the EVs have everyone would have range anxiety!

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
RichR

Post by RichR »

Exactly - I’m getting bored of typing this now.

My petrol Subaru Outback 3.0 used to do about 400 miles to a tankful when I was commuting 55 miles a day on A roads with virtually no urban or start/stop traffic. But then I changed jobs and was only commuting to the nearest railway station. That meant a short bit of A road, then start stop rush hour urban traffic. I was then only getting 250-280 miles to a tank. But if I did a longer trip at a constant speed, it’d be up to over 400 miles again.

Petrol and diesel car range varies just as much as EVs, it’s just that people don’t obsess about it in the same way.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

Skoda should replace the range readings in data screen with battery percentage or remaining energy instead, i think
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Erakettu wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:56 pm Skoda should replace the range readings in data screen with battery percentage or remaining energy instead, i think
But why to make everyone happy ? I'd much prefer to see how many miles ove got left over a % or a bar.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post