Range anxiety!

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Pict

Post by Pict »

Vasarolli wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:25 pm I would have it on the small screen, next to the battery symbol. It would be great to see the average as well somewhere there (since start or something like that). There is plenty of space for these basic figures there too.
It does display there when you get a "low battery please charge" warning and amber battery symbol (about 20% for us on the motorway last night). There is no reason it could not be there permanently
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household

C2atb

Post by C2atb »

If this helps anyone 2 days ago I ended up with zero charge zero range due to 3 charger points being taken by non EV overnight parked cars I still managed another 3 miles to another charger out of town
Sorry for the quality but it first came up something like performance restrictions in place check wallet
Along with a tortoise symbol

CB2E7C91-FD8D-4E55-938B-7C8FF9BECE95.jpeg

marccdavison

Post by marccdavison »

The addition of the Battery % on the Small display is detailed in the release notes for the "mythical" Feb update so hopefully at some point we'll get that.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

And that surely is what so called ‘Range Anxiety’ is really about! With an ICE car there is tried and tested confidence that the tank can be quickly and easily replenished. With an EV there is little faith in the public charging infrastructure-will the charger be available? Will it be in working order? Will it be blocked? Will a Tesla be unnecessarily hooked up for 24 hours? And is an otherwise pleasurable drive going to become a nightmarish endurance test of emergency generator topping up courtesy of AA or RAC and or recovery?

Fossilnot
RichR

Post by RichR »

It all depends on how you use the car as to whether it's an issue or not though. According to statistics from the AA, the majority of people drive fewer than 20 miles a day most of the time, with the occasional 100 mile journey once a month (maybe to a sporting event, shopping centre, cinema etc). And only a few times a year do they do over 100 miles. Yes, there are obviously people who regularly drive 300 miles every day, but these are the exception, rather than the majority for the standard passenger car market.

As long as you can charge at home, you'll get a reasonable idea of how far you can go and get home again without needing public charging. For me that's pretty much anywhere between Birmingham, Peterborough and the Scottish border as long as I drive sensibly. That's a fair chunk of England I don't have to worry about public charging at all.

For the occasional longer trip (ie to see my mum in Cornwall), then that takes a little bit of planning on where I'm likely to want to stop for lunch and get a charge. Or more sensibly, pick my route so that it goes past several places I can top up from say 30% to 60% which gives me enough contingency if chargers are busy/out of order/ICEd etc to get to another one.

The convenience of petrol/diesel is good but it's not essential if you plan things a bit. We tend to do long distance driving holidays in places like Iceland, which involves making sure you know where petrol stations are, because you can't expect there to be one round the corner when the low fuel light comes on. It could be some distance away. So planning to fill up well before it would be an issue if the planned stop was unavailable (just because it shows on a map doesn't mean it's open or has fuel). That's not really much different from public EV charging in some ways.

For me (and please note - this is my view, I'm not claiming everyone can work this way), it's not as much of an issue as EV haters like to make out. Just means a little planning rather than setting off and assuming that places to refuel/recharge will exist where you want them to be. And there are plenty of tools around to help find places to charge. It does help that I got all of my 300bhp race/rally car driving out of my system years ago, and now I'd rather arrive at my destination an hour later, but relaxed than as fast as possible but tired and pissed off. If I have to get up an hour earlier before a long trip then that's no big deal. I regularly get up at 4am or 5am to drive to a dog show a couple of hours away for an 8am start. If this doesn't match your approach to driving, then that's perfectly fine, and yes - you may suffer from range anxiety. But it's not by any means something that applies to everyone.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Susans Dad

Post by Susans Dad »

RichR, well said and I agree
Ordered 21 July 2021 - Enyaq iv 80 , Artic Silver, 21 Betria wheels, Light & view pack +, Infotainment pack +, Assisted drive pack +, Comfort seat pack +, Parking +, Climate pack +, Driving sport pack, Pan roof & now 125kW fast charge
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

I really don’t want to restart all the old debates about the accuracy of the estimated range is, but i came across some Skoda literature which explains which driving data is used for the calculation.

Basically your last 62 miles of driving style/consumption is taken into account, unless your battery is nearing empty when data from the last 6 miles is used.

Additionally it takes about 300 miles of driving from new for sufficient data to be gathered for accurate range estimates.

It’s all here on the screenshot.

63793850-576D-4626-B527-7CD9B2D4BA5C.png

iV 80 Suite, Arctic Silver plus various packages. ME 3.1
Ordered late Oct 21 for delivery June 2022. Scheduled production now Week 29 (was previously late September). In transit 25 July 22. Delivered as ordered 17 August 22.
Skeniv

Post by Skeniv »

IanJ wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:13 am I really don’t want to restart all the old debates about the accuracy of the estimated range is, but i came across some Skoda literature which explains which driving data is used for the calculation.

Basically your last 62 miles of driving style/consumption is taken into account, unless your battery is nearing empty when data from the last 6 miles is used.

Additionally it takes about 300 miles of driving from new for sufficient data to be gathered for accurate range estimates.

It’s all here on the screenshot.63793850-576D-4626-B527-7CD9B2D4BA5C.png

Great info. Thanks for sharing. 👍🏽
Enyaq iV60 Loft, Brilliant Silver, 19” Regulus Anthracite. Plus Package. MY22 (Ordered 07/21 - Delivered 06/22).
Apocryph

Post by Apocryph »

This is disappointing to read.

My wife has an EV - a Kona - whilst I've had my Enyaq on order for some time. Our experience with the Kona is that we get pretty close to the published ranges - sometimes even more - and that's with creature comforts like climate control etc switched on.

I know range actuals vs estimates varies from model to model and I did suspect that heavier cars perform worse, but how is this different to petrol/diesel productions?
Ordered: Enyaq Coupe iV vRS (Hyper Green). ETA July '22. Then September '22. Now who knows?
TheCorm

Post by TheCorm »

As someone who has had a plugin car since 2016 (Full EV since 2019)....

My Leaf has a 40kwh battery and I can get 150 in summer and 120 in winter. The Skoda is heavier and slightly less aerodynamic, it has a similarly efficient electric motor to the Leaf I believe (Not matching Kia and Hyundai's which are noticeably better in real world reports) so i'd expect 210 in the summer and 175 in the winter from the 60? I'm not sure how much difference the heat pump makes, probably a noticeable amount in January and February?

I have had to use rapid chargers only 3 times in all the time i've had the Leaf and they worked each time but the infrastructure out there is poor and if my driving habits were a lot longer range more of the time I think i'd have encountered a lot more stress by now. I'm hoping the Enyaq's longer range means my use of rapids will continue to be minimum.
iv60 in Race Blue, Loft interior with 20" Vega wheels - Ordered Sep21, Delivered 25/07/22
Packs - Comfort seat plus, Family, Climate plus, Drive Sport, Assisted drive, Parking, Convenience, Heat Pump.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post