Million dollar question

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RichR

Post by RichR »

Also worth considering once the government grant is gone, if you spec a 60 with a lot of extras, it might work out about the same price to go for an 80 if the extras you chose are standard on an 80 (eg parking camera, drive modes and paddles). I found changing from an 80 to a Sportline 80 with the same options was only a couple of hundred pounds, and I gained matrix headlights, the sport steering wheel, lower suspension and much better seats as a bonus. I chose an 80 for the included equipment as much as the battery size.

But in terms of battery size, it's not as big a deal as some people like to think. Most people drive less than 20 miles a day, so the difference between the 60 and 80 is irrelevant except for perhaps a couple of times a year when they might do a longer journey - which with a little planning using ABRP/Zap-map really isn't that big a deal. Chances are those one off journeys to relatives or holidays would require public charging in an 80 too.

As for the heat pump - red paint costs about the same, yet has no effect on range whatsoever. If you don't care about colour, it makes more sense to go for Energy Blue and spend the money you've saved on options that add to convenience or range in my opinion.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

Chris__M

Post by Chris__M »

chillyboy123 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:13 amIf you do regular big miles for work etc, I would say get the IV80 and a heat pump because this cold weather makes a big difference to range.

I don’t regret not having a heat pump because I don’t need to drive big miles at this time of year.
I totally agree with you this, but it made me giggle to read "I don't need a heat pump" from "chillyboy123" :lol:
Enyaq iV 60. Energy Blue with EcoSuite, 19" wheels, 100kW charging.
Comfort Basic, Assisted Drive Plus (Drive Sport), HUD, Parking Basic, Transport, Panoramic Sunroof.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

My million-dollar question actually, would be whether the Heat Pump on a 60, would actually get you close to the range of an 80 without a Heat Pump (with all else being equal)…. 🤔
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

Problem there is we're back to the 'what is the range of a car' question again. If the heat pump can give up to (let's say a more realistic than VW's initial quote) 10% at around 0C compared to not having it, then that's still quite a bit less than you'd expect with about 20kWh less battery capacity. But the 80 is heavier and has a more powerful motor too, so that complicates things further...
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

RichR wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:46 pm Problem there is we're back to the 'what is the range of a car' question again. If the heat pump can give up to (let's say a more realistic than VW's initial quote) 10% at around 0C compared to not having it, then that's still quite a bit less than you'd expect with about 20kWh less battery capacity. But the 80 is heavier and has a more powerful motor too, so that complicates things further...

Exactly - really needs a YouTuber to have both options available simultaneously and have them driven at the same time, in exactly the same manner (e.g using ACC for the duration of the check points to help ensure driving style is as identical as it can be).

Another good test would be standard 80 vs. 80 with a Heat Pump - again driven on the same road at the same time using ACC to moderate driving styles.

Anyone have a channel they want to direct views and likes towards? 🤣
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Chris__M wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:33 pm
chillyboy123 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:13 amIf you do regular big miles for work etc, I would say get the IV80 and a heat pump because this cold weather makes a big difference to range.

I don’t regret not having a heat pump because I don’t need to drive big miles at this time of year.
I totally agree with you this, but it made me giggle to read "I don't need a heat pump" from "chillyboy123" :lol:
Not sure about this comment.

I didn’t say I don’t need a heat pump. I was getting at the fact that I don’t need to do big miles during the winter. So the increased winter range isn’t required by me.

Since even though winter has hit my range significantly, I am have yet to need public charging. All my winter drivings been within range of my charge from home.

I am pretty sure a heat pump would make for much better economy like I have read from owners who have a heat pump.

The winters almost doubled my average costs from 3.5p / mile to 6p / mile. (Not on Octopus Go yet!)

But for my mileage even with the increased winter economy that a heat pump would provide,I would not recover the cost of a heat pump in my length of ownership.

Regardless my car was bought from stock so I didn’t have a choice.

But when I was originally going to place an order I would still not have added a heat pump due to my original calculations.

That is solely for my driving requirements.

If your doing big daily journeys, a heat pump and bigger battery will reduce the requirements of using expensive public charging. That’s were electric cost savings will play a bigger role.
Last edited by chillyboy123 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Goaty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:38 pm My million-dollar question actually, would be whether the Heat Pump on a 60, would actually get you close to the range of an 80 without a Heat Pump (with all else being equal)…. 🤔
What are people getting from a full battery with an 80 without heat pump ? Actual not predicted.

Cos I doubt the 60 achieves that much more than 210 miles even with a heat pump with a full battery.

I would like to see some YouTuber do the comparison though!
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yes, precisely - whereas many makes (Stellantis, Hyundai etc) make you pay for a heat pump to heat the car whether it'll be of much benefit to your driving pattern or not, it's nice that VW/Skoda/Audi give you the choice. It's just a shame they don't really explain what it does well enough for people to make that choice at purchase time. Though to be fair most of those are a single bidirectional heat pump to either heat or cool the cabin. But this has the downside in that you can't heat the cabin and cool the battery at the same time for example. Though whether that's an issue or not again depends on your driving pattern.

If you only rarely do trips of more than 10 miles in winter then it's of limited benefit, so you might as well save the money or spend it on other options that you would benefit from, like maybe powered tailgate or heated windscreen etc. For me it made sense to have, as I do tend to do long (250 miles or so) trips at all times of the year going to dog shows. If I can reduce the amount of charging at expensive public chargers then that's worthwhile. My driving is a mix of short trips to the supermarket and takeaways etc in the nearest town most weeks, interspersed with long motorway trips probably twice a month.
Roo1980

Post by Roo1980 »

Goaty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:58 pm
RichR wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:46 pm Problem there is we're back to the 'what is the range of a car' question again. If the heat pump can give up to (let's say a more realistic than VW's initial quote) 10% at around 0C compared to not having it, then that's still quite a bit less than you'd expect with about 20kWh less battery capacity. But the 80 is heavier and has a more powerful motor too, so that complicates things further...

Exactly - really needs a YouTuber to have both options available simultaneously and have them driven at the same time, in exactly the same manner (e.g using ACC for the duration of the check points to help ensure driving style is as identical as it can be).

Another good test would be standard 80 vs. 80 with a Heat Pump - again driven on the same road at the same time using ACC to moderate driving styles.

Anyone have a channel they want to direct views and likes towards? 🤣
Will this do? Vw id3 dual test heat pump and without.
Westy

Post by Westy »

Chilly - in answer to your question, my 80 when charged to 100% is predicting about 260 miles currently. Am i getting that? Yeah I think I am close to that as miles per kWh is hovering between 3.3 and 3.4

But down here in the south west its not been that cold really.
Enyaq 80 Loft
Quartz Grey
Climate Pack, Assisted Drive, 125Kw

Replacing a Passat GTE Estate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post