Towbar fitment at a dealer - cost

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Stunts

Post by Stunts » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi all,

Having been informed by Skoda that my Enyaq (60 with towbar prep) was at the dealer I asked them for a price of a towbar to be fitted. They said they don't fit towbars, only service and MOT vehicles :( (Bristol Street Motors, Aylesbury) So I contacted Skoda UK and they chased a dealer down that would fit one for me. Another local dealer quoted a price. £1500 - I kid you not. So, lesson here is, don't even bother ordering a car with towbar prep - it's a complete waste of time and money. Just order a factory fit towbar. I was labouring under the illusion that a third party towbar could be fitted - it may yet be so. If I can confirm this (I know that Brink supply a specific one for the Enyaq, ID4 and Audi Q4) then I'll update here.

RichR

Post by RichR » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:59 pm

I seem to recall that this is similar for Subaru - towbar prep adds the wiring and control unit, but the cost of having the actual towbar itself fitted at the factory really isn't that much more in the long run.

Not having the prep may result in the car not having any towing capacity on the VIN plate, which means it can never legally have a towbar fitted. But I think UK cars may well get the towing capacity added even without the prep - certainly on my (non-towbar prep) Sportline, the VIN plate shows a 2649kg Maximum Permissible Gross Weight and a 3649kg Maximum Permissible Towed Weight. So although I don't have the Skoda control unit and wiring present, I could get an aftermarket towbar fitted if they had something to interface with the car's electronics (the car needs to know if it's got a trailer attached so it can disable things like rear parking sensors, radars etc).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW charging, Assisted Drive Plus, Transport, Heat Pump, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus.

Stunts

Post by Stunts » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm

I believe that as yours is an 80 then the towbar prep is standard. On the 60's it isn't. We didn't go for factory fit as we couldn't afford it at that point, now seems a flawed decision :/ Guess the bikes will have to go on the roof for the time being.

RichR

Post by RichR » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:42 pm

Towbar prep is still listed as an option for all models in the brochure. I suspect they gave the towing weight on the VIN as it's easier than not doing so. But that might not be the case in all countries.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW charging, Assisted Drive Plus, Transport, Heat Pump, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post