10 Things You Need to Know Before Getting an EV Charging Point Installed

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Ruud

Post by Ruud »

This youtube video, made by an EV Home Charging Point installer, very clearly explains what you need to know and think about before you have a charging point installed at your house. I found it really useful and found out that even though I live in an old crofters cottage I have a 100Amp main fuse, hooray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAi1hMUaDw
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Heat Pump, Climate Package Plus. Ordered 14 January 2022. Picked up 31 May 2023.

Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Very UK focused.
It is very possible to not need a 100A supply. 60A for example is the standard in France. I have 60A and have an all electric house. With heat (from a air heat pump, with say -2c external), Washing machine, dishwasher and PC and small exquipment in use at the same time all comes within 52A.
Here properties have a stated max connection defined by the grid connection (Max 75A for a current domestic 3 Phase connection, usually 60A).
The single smart meter model (Linky) has a set limit with can be remotely changed free of charge usually from 30A or 45A (increases your fixed charges), these communicate using a CPL system and not 2G or 3G.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\. I haven’t looked at the clip but regarding 60A main fuses:

PodPoint restricted the charging output on my home charger to 3.5kW initially, as we only had a 60A fuse.

I had to organise getting a higher rated fuse fitted before PodPoint would unlock full 7kW charging capability.

I had 100A fitted in the end. I think PodPoint may accept 80A and above.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

What's the first 3 min and already they guys a knob. You don't need to have a 100A fuse to get a charger along as said charge point has a Load Limiting feature that monitors the property to ensure a set limit (say 60A) is never breached while the vehicle is on charge to ensure the homes main fuse is never overloaded.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! πŸ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company πŸ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about πŸ˜‚
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

The thing is though - PodPoint absolutely refused to allow me my full 7kW capacity until I had an upgrade to 80A or over. They flatly refused @ 60A, despite my protestations.

Perhaps I was unlucky with the office I had to deal with. Fortunately the upgrade (by UK Power Networks) turned out to be free.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Goaty wrote: ↑Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:03 pm The thing is though - PodPoint absolutely refused to allow me my full 7kW capacity until I had an upgrade to 80A or over. They flatly refused @ 60A, despite my protestations.

Perhaps I was unlucky with the office I had to deal with. Fortunately the upgrade (by UK Power Networks) turned out to be free.
I think you were just unlucky mare I've fitted a number with 60A supplies and had no issues at all. Fuse Saver is set to a max of 60 by default so Pod should never exceed that in the home.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! πŸ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company πŸ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about πŸ˜‚

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post