This explains a lot !! High Winter electric usage.

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

So I scheduled a departure today.

The cabin was warm, the power and regen scales were full. The car was defrosted.

I got 3.0 miles / kWh on the school run, which was much better.

But there was obviously a drop in range of 7 miles when I got in this morning compared to last night.

I would need to do this for a week to work out if one method is any better than the other.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0

zice

Post by zice »

there you go ;)
now, if you'd do the same thing but ongrid, only the cabin will be warmed up.

range drop is due to kWh used to preheat battery & cabin, duhh
compare it with "usual" range drop if you don't use departure time.
tomm636

Post by tomm636 »

zice wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 pm
chillyboy123 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm
Yeah I leave same time each morning.

I don’t have it plugged in on charge in the morning.

Are you saying it’s more efficient, to schedule departure time ?

Will the cabin and batteries be warm ready to use ?
yes!
try and report back in here.
Do you know if this is the same result if you start cabin heating on the app rather than setting a departure time?
Enyaq iV 80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 125 kW DC charging, 20" Vega wheels, Assisted drive pack, Heat pump, Climate pack, Convenience pack, Drive sport pack, Electric Towbar, Family pack plus, Infotainment pack plus, Built Sep 2021
zice

Post by zice »

tomm636 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:25 am Do you know if this is the same result if you start cabin heating on the app rather than setting a departure time?
cabin heating does exactly what it says, nothing more.
in the app you can however set the "schedule" which is equivalent to departure time in the infotainment.
that will preheat the battery, but right now only if it's not connected to a charger (confirmed for 0792 but not sure yet for 0795).
tomm636

Post by tomm636 »

zice wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:38 am
tomm636 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:25 am Do you know if this is the same result if you start cabin heating on the app rather than setting a departure time?
cabin heating does exactly what it says, nothing more.
in the app you can however set the "schedule" which is equivalent to departure time in the infotainment.
that will preheat the battery, but right now only if it's not connected to a charger (confirmed for 0792 but not sure yet for 0795).
Ok thanks. So for impromptu journeys its best to set the departure time as 60 mins from now and let it heat the Batt as much as it can before departure?
Enyaq iV 80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 125 kW DC charging, 20" Vega wheels, Assisted drive pack, Heat pump, Climate pack, Convenience pack, Drive sport pack, Electric Towbar, Family pack plus, Infotainment pack plus, Built Sep 2021
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

zice wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:11 am there you go ;)
now, if you'd do the same thing but ongrid, only the cabin will be warmed up.

range drop is due to kWh used to preheat battery & cabin, duhh
compare it with "usual" range drop if you don't use departure time.
I am quite aware why the range dropped zice 😒

Up until today I have been manually using the app to warm the cabin 10 mins prior to setting off.

The cabin was warm and car defrosted, but batteries not warm. I was getting 1.8 miles / kWh. Due the batteries been heated while driving.

I am going to schedule the journey for the next week to determine which method gets me the most miles per charge.

I reckon the schedule method will show me higher miles per kWh on average, but will there been an actual increase in miles driven ?

Upgraded to ME 3.0
zice

Post by zice »

tomm636 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:43 am Ok thanks. So for impromptu journeys its best to set the departure time as 60 mins from now and let it heat the Batt as much as it can before departure?
yea, well 60min from now, that's not quite impromptu is it? :)
but generally, for planned regular trips (like school, office) in the morning, best to use departure time when it's cold outside especially.
SW 3.0 may change/adjust this behaviour, who knows..but until everyone gets it, this can help.

@chilyboy123 that's the key measurement, to see if what it uses from traction battery for the battery/interior warmup is less than what it uses when driving straight away with all PTCs blasting. Could be more economic to warm the battery slower over 1h, than bring it up to 12-13C within 5min of starting cold.

This could translate to more km (miles) since the precious kWh are used for traction, not heating..
test, test, test.
OBC helps to see it in action.

There are reports of modified behaviour in SW 0795 (or MJ2022 Enyaqs) already, it seems to trigger battery heating at temps lower than 7C (which is the case with 0792). But regardless, the PTC will run full power once the threshold is passed. I would personally hard code it to the temp where the snowflake appears (i think 3 or 4C). The car won't know if you're gonna do a short trip or long one on a cold morning....

Or will it? :)
(ps - it already learns the routes to suggest preferred chargers...)
zice

Post by zice »

oh yeah, remember also that a heatpump WILL help with a few kWh in cold weather, esp. for longer routes. It will help maintain interior heat while using less kWh from traction to run the PTCs. It's not as efficient as they advertise it (up to 30%) but it has been proven to definitely improve between 10-20%.

key here is long routes, not short frequent ones. Although if you use departure time, the battery is already warm and heatpump won't have to wait for it to exchange heat, meaning it will be efficient from get go.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I have to say I haven't used planned departure times yet, as I've just been doing 'heat now' before any unplanned trips. Working from home due to office Covid restrictions means all those scheduled pre-heats I used to have in my Outlander because I was leaving for the office the same time each day haven't been needed in the Enyaq. I will be doing longer trips again soon though, so I will use them to pre-heat the battery so that the heat pump has less work initially. It's good to know when the battery PTC is used though, as I can see it on the diagram in the workshop manual, but there's no description as to what situations cause it to be powered.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Zice,

Do you have a graph of kWh used for battery warm up when using the schedule already.

If not I will try to have a look tomorrow via OBD to see what it is using.

Cheers

Upgraded to ME 3.0

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post