This explains a lot !! High Winter electric usage.

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Saw this clip yesterday by Battery Life

This really explains why we are getting bad economy from our batteries during the winter months.

It’s not just the electric heater to warm the cabin. There is a 6kW heater warming the battery which runs when it’s less than 7 degrees outside.

So if you do lots of short journeys, you are using around 10kW warming everything up each time you start the car.

Skoda’s hinted that they are fixing this in the 3.0 update, but didn’t really explain the issue.

It sounds like post update, the battery warmer will only come on at 0 degrees or lower.

Should make a real difference.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0

zice

Post by zice »

hi all, i need someone please with SW 795 and an OBD dongle to do a test of preconditioning function.
close to 0C ambient temperatures in your area would be perfect :)

there seems to be a known bug with on vs. off-grid behavior.
your feedback will be forwarded to Skoda for analysis. We already have graphs from SW 0792 proving this behaviour, we now need 0795 (which apparently has a lower temp threshold for initiating battery heating).

Could might as well be going to be fixed/adjusted in SW 3.0, but existing cars won't get it until H2/22.
more details via PM, thx.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Zice

I would help you out, but I am running 0792.

You able to share your findings / graph on the 0792 ? Just for interest.

Cheers

Upgraded to ME 3.0
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

So no change in 910 then, talk says 910 in Feb 22 via dealer upgrade. Can you comment please?
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Doesn't really sound like much of an issue to me. Yes it perhaps could be slightly better, but if it's heating the battery at 7C and below, that's fine, the battery will perform better if it's warm.
I really don't care if the car could do a couple more miles to a full charge than it currently does. I need to stop more frequently than the car does, so I just charge it when it needs it. I'm perfectly happy with the range it gets as it's way more than most of my journeys.

I'm sure people never got so fussy about losing a bit of range in a petrol car because the oil is a bit thick when it's cold, or the belts are tighter so cause more resistance to the engine.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
zice

Post by zice »

chillyboy123 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 pm Zice

I would help you out, but I am running 0792.

You able to share your findings / graph on the 0792 ? Just for interest.

Cheers
offgrid it preheats battery 1h before set departure time and interior 30min before.
ongrid it doesn't preheat battery 1h before but interior is heated 30min before ok.
(as a result, it uses the full 6kW PTC battery heater to bring battery to 12-13C, translating into horrendous kWh values over the first 5-10min of short trips in cold weather. Add to that 1-1.5kW for seats & steering heating.....and you got a winner :)))) )

you got an OBD? check it out for yourself ;)
key here is the "departure time" scheduling.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Richr,

The reason the battery is warmed up, is to get maximum performance and regen from the battery. The driver would feel similar performance regardless of temperature. But it comes at a cost.

You may have noticed that the power and regen scales are not fully available for a few minutes until the batteries are warm enough. I have not really felt the reduced power. No less than selecting ECO mode.

If you do bigger journeys that’s great because you get the performance and the best range for this time of year. The battery warming costs are spread across more miles and probably less noticed to the driver.

I see the same when I have gone for a longer journey. I can achieve close to 3 miles / kWh.

The big problem I see is when I do 3 to 4 short journeys in a day while it’s cold. I am wasting electric warming the cabin and batteries 3-4 times.

Some weeks where I do these short journeys instead of long journeys, I have got less then 2 miles / kWh. Thats half the miles I would get during the warmer months. Which means double the charging is required.

Yes your correct we didn’t moan when we got less range in winter while driving ICE cars. But in 25 years I have never seen a drop of 50% range while using fossil fuels. No where near.

I don’t really need full performance to do a 6 mile school run in the morning.

So if I can save 6kW by not warming the batteries on short runs, unless it’s below 0 degrees, that’s a win for me.

I guess that’s why The VAG group are changing it in 3.0.

The problem is the car doesn’t know how far you going to drive when you get it. Ideally there would be an option to select battery warming ON / OFF

Upgraded to ME 3.0
zice

Post by zice »

yo, if you do school runs every day, you do them at the same time.
for that you have the departure time settings.
schedule it.
if you want low consumption over first few trips in the cold morning, leave your car unplugged overnight, otherwise the battery won't preheat as advertised.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

zice wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:40 pm yo, if you do school runs every day, you do them at the same time.
for that you have the departure time settings.
schedule it.
if you want low consumption over first few trips in the cold morning, leave your car unplugged overnight, otherwise the battery won't preheat as advertised.
Yeah I leave same time each morning.

I don’t have it plugged in on charge in the morning.

Are you saying it’s more efficient, to schedule departure time ?

Will the cabin and batteries be warm ready to use ?

Upgraded to ME 3.0
zice

Post by zice »

chillyboy123 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm
Yeah I leave same time each morning.

I don’t have it plugged in on charge in the morning.

Are you saying it’s more efficient, to schedule departure time ?

Will the cabin and batteries be warm ready to use ?
yes!
try and report back in here.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post