This explains a lot !! High Winter electric usage.

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Deleted User 368

Post by Deleted User 368 »

No build date yet but am following this post with interest. To not heat the battery when plugged in (ongrid) with a departure time set, is surely an oversight with the software that needs to be fixed; what a waste of range. Let’s hope they fix charge scheduling as well soon! Maybe it’s all related?
Anyway - await results of all this testing and hoping my car has all the updates when it arrives in Spring?

foot tapper

Post by foot tapper »

This YouTube video clip explains a lot. I was wondering why our Enyaq's consumption went up so much when the outside temperature dropped below 5-10C, now I know.
Best regards, FT
zice

Post by zice »

change of plans. I don't need as urgently data from 0795, but rather looking for someone with a 11 or 22kW threephase wallbox. No OBD reader necessary. @chilliboy_123 what wallbox power you have?
Last edited by zice on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zice

Post by zice »

chillyboy123 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 am So I have run a test and recorded the data this morning.

You can see it used around 5-6kW for 15 mins to warm the battery.

Then around 3-5 kW to warm the cabin for 20 mins.

This whole process used 5% of my battery this is quite a lot.

The outside temperature was above 0 degrees, so under the 3.0 update the battery wouldn’t be warmed at all.

Also interesting to see it never used more than 6 kW, so if this could all happen while been plugged in. The cabin and battery could be preheated by electric from the grid and I could still leave the house with a full battery.

Ideal if your planning a very long journey on a cold morning.

But to me I have wasted nearly 5% of battery to warm the batteries for a quick school run.
cooool thx for test! Was the car connected to charger or not?
zice

Post by zice »

andanother11 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:40 am Why would it not heat the battery when plugged in?
nope. and that's the bug we noticed with sw0792 and trying to prove also with 0795.
total consumption right after start JUST to heat a cold battery & interior (+if you have a heatpump) is 17kW !!!!
Battery PTC 5.5kW
Interior PTC 6kW
Heatpump 5.5kW
RichR

Post by RichR »

I wonder if it's not a bug as such but meant so that if you're charging from a 7kW AC charger, the cabin heater PTC gets the full 5-6kW. But due to that decision the battery PTC doesn't get activated. So maybe more of a design decision that may not be optimal for everyone - perhaps adding an option on the infotainment to choose whether to heat the cabin only or cabin and battery - and to set the power level might be another way to implement it to allow for people doing short journeys where they're not bothered about heating the battery?

But like you say, it's likely to change in v3.0 software anyway.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
zice

Post by zice »

RichR wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:13 pm I wonder if it's not a bug as such but meant so that if you're charging from a 7kW AC charger, the cabin heater PTC gets the full 5-6kW. But due to that decision the battery PTC doesn't get activated. So maybe more of a design decision that may not be optimal for everyone - perhaps adding an option on the infotainment to choose whether to heat the cabin only or cabin and battery - and to set the power level might be another way to implement it to allow for people doing short journeys where they're not bothered about heating the battery?

But like you say, it's likely to change in v3.0 software anyway.
even if the logic would be like that, it's still flawed. Both PTCs do not run at the same time. Battery PTC starts 1h before trip then stops, then 30min before trip interior PTC starts.

I suspect another issue here that's why i need someone with 11 or 22kW WB to test the ongrid scenario.
However, the DC/DC converter (which is only 3kW btw) is part of the OBC itself.
Could be that any AC input is redirected thru the DC/DC and does not bypass it to power straight the PTCs.
But even then, how does the interior PTC (with nominal 6kW) gets powered when ongrid? :) We saw from graphs that interior PTC uses way more than 3kW, more like 5-6, so close to max.

Furthermore, the traction battery does NOT power any internal components while it's connected to charger (charging or not). Therefore the power comes either from the AC external source or 12V low voltage system of the car...or both....

I just looked again at my own graphs on page3. Seems max amperage for battery PTC reaches around 13A, which for 220V means ~3.1kW.
This could be exactly the hint for answering the DC/DC converter bypass question: it does NOT bypass it :) EDIT: DUHH IDIOT of course it doesn't, it was the graph from OFFGRID :) Meaning power came from highvoltage traction battery via DC/DC to low voltage....to power the PTCs...

The key here is the OBC internal logic configuration, which is software.
Last edited by zice on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Ah OK, I see. I missed that.

Out of interest, did you get the PTC and heat pump powers from measurements or do you have some documentation showing their ratings? I've got most of the workshop manual, but that doesn't give that kind of detail - only the diagram of how the pipework and flows. I've measured 5kW from my domestic power meter when the car is plugged in via 7kW AC and doing a cabin heat (initiated by 'heat now' icon or app).

Sadly there are probably very few people with 11kW or 22kW AC EVSEs at home in the UK, though there are plenty of public ones.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

Zice

My test was run without been plugged in. My wall box is only 7kW unfortunately.

Richr

I can see that the PTC battery heater and interior heater both run at upto 6 kW.

Like Zice said they don’t run at the same time, so they is no reason they both can’t be powered from the grid.

I tested the steering wheel and seat heaters both run around 0.5 kW each.

OBD and carscanner are great for gathering all this info 👍
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
zice

Post by zice »

chillyboy123 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:45 pm
OBD and carscanner are great for gathering all this info 👍
yeah, so you confirmed our findings with 0792, congrats :)
so now we need the 0795 data..
by the way, 0910 will probably never make it, it was only on some skoda internal testing cars from what i heard.
current Enyaqs should go straight to 3.0 but you never know if they're gonna have something interim until then

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post