Battery capacity/variation on 80x

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
GeorgeEnyaq

Post by GeorgeEnyaq »

I'm seeing huge variations in battery capacity via the app on my 80x. It's currently at 74% and saying it has a 133 mile range, which would indicate that at 80% it'll have a range of 144 miles (under half the WLTP range of 303 miles) . Normally the range would be about 200 miles for 80% charge. It's currently 6c, so I find it hard to believe that it's due to the weather. Anybody else experience this? I've checked inside the car as well as the app and the range it's giving is the same. I'm charging via a plugin wall charger (home charger installation is coming in a couple of weeks).

The car did randomly turn off at some traffic lights when my wife was driving it recently and wouldn't turn back on for a couple of minutes (hard to know if that was user error from my wife), how do I know if I have an issue with my battery?

Other than that no major issues and aside from the utterly pointless app I'm pretty happy with the car.

RichR

Post by RichR »

Estimated range is not a good indicator of battery capacity or state of charge. It is calculated from the known state of charge of the battery (which Skoda do not display on the instrument panel, yet), and the current average power consumption (mi/kWh). If you're driving along a motorway at a steady speed, then it'll be pretty accurate. If the car is parked then it can't be accurate - because the car cannot know what the consumption will be in the future. At best it'll show what it was based on the average when you turned it off.

WLTP range is also not an indicator of real life range (and it says that wherever manufacturers quote it). It is a standardised test so that you can compare different models of cars to see which would have the most likely higher or lower range. But it is impossible to say 'this car will do 200 miles to a charge' - because the power used to move a car changes depending on speed, temperature, uphill/downhill, braking, and dozens of other factors.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

@GeorgeEnyaq - the estimated range at 80% for example (or 100% if you charge to the max) will absolutely vary, depending on what type of driving you’ve been doing over the past ‘x’ hundred miles since the last charge. By ‘type’ that includes speed, acceleration, av. journey distance, hills vs flats, outside temperatures, heater settings etc.

I’ve driven a variety of journey types now, across a wide enough range of temperatures to see - and predict - a bit of a pattern.

Sometimes I like to enjoy fast acceleration and generally keeping to 70 on motorways. If the car thinks that’s how my driving style will be going forward, then on 100%, it may only give me 230 miles of predicted range for the next time I use the car.

However if I then drive sympathetically in warmer conditions (and keeping to 60 mph on the motorway) then instead of only having the 230 miles it initially predicted, I might actually achieve 280 miles (for example).

If that’s the case, then the next time I charge to 100% (at home on a slow charger), the car will think I will continue to drive sympathetically, and may give me a prediction of 280 miles.

It behaves exactly as I’d expect, according to the way I’ve been driving prior to my next charge 👍
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
GeorgeEnyaq

Post by GeorgeEnyaq »

Thanks both, very helpful. Although the app topped out at 145 miles predicted range, that actually popped up to just over 200 once I started driving, so as you both indicated.
zice

Post by zice »

y'all stop looking at the estimated ranges, look at the SoC instead more.
it's like looking at the current consumption instead of tank gauge on a combustion car.

estimated range is such a dynamic value, depending on many factors and esp. on previous driving route/profile/weather/etc up to that point.
i wouldn't bother too much with it, although MEB cars seem to nail it quite well...
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

If you want to find out capacity, charge from 1 to 100% and see the kwh charger reports. This wont be exact due to some charger energy losses, but gives a ballpark anyway.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post