Full charge but showing much reduced range 😳

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
toffee king

Post by toffee king »

3 months in and Enyaq 60 put on 100%charge as off to Yorkshire from Suffolk later today - range states 130 miles but fully charged any ideas most grateful.

Heating all off and on a separate heat pump, will it adjust or is that the actual range, normally shows 196 or there about. First time it’s done this.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

The estimated range at 80% for example (or 100% if you charge to the max) will absolutely vary, depending on what type of driving you’ve been doing over the past ‘x’ hundred miles since the last charge. By ‘type’ that includes speed, acceleration, av. journey distance, hills vs flats, outside temperatures, heater settings etc.

I’ve driven a variety of journey types now, across a wide enough range of temperatures to see - and predict - a bit of a pattern.

Sometimes I like to enjoy fast acceleration and generally keeping to 70 on motorways. If the car thinks that’s how my driving style will be going forward, then on 100%, it may only give me 230 miles of predicted range for the next time I use the car ( I have an IV80 ).

However if I then drive sympathetically in warmer conditions (and keeping to 60 mph on the motorway) then instead of only having the 230 miles it initially predicted, I might actually achieve 280 miles (for example).

If that’s the case, then the next time I charge to 100% (at home on a slow charger), the car will think I will continue to drive sympathetically, and may give me a prediction of 280 miles. If I then choose to drive / accelerate enthusiastically or my journey ‘type’ isn’t conducive to efficiency, then I’ll likely achieve a fair bit less than 280 miles.

It behaves exactly as I’d expect, according to the way I’ve been driving prior to my next charge 👍
Last edited by Goaty on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Susans Dad

Post by Susans Dad »

Goaty, good info :D
Ordered 21 July 2021 - Enyaq iv 80 , Artic Silver, 21 Betria wheels, Light & view pack +, Infotainment pack +, Assisted drive pack +, Comfort seat pack +, Parking +, Climate pack +, Driving sport pack, Pan roof & now 125kW fast charge
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Susans Dad wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:34 pm Goaty, good info :D

Got it saved now for re-use 👍🤣
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
toffee king

Post by toffee king »

Thanks Goaty but will it reassess when I drive very sensibley to Yorkshire this afternoon?
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

toffee king wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 pm Thanks Goaty but will it reassess when I drive very sensibley to Yorkshire this afternoon?

I’m my experience, yes - I’ve seen my predicted range remain on the same number for a long time, even though I might have covered, say 10 or 15 miles (because I started driving more efficiently).

Quick tips for the most economical way to drive on the motorway:

Keep to 56~60 if you can. Horrible I know, but easier with ACC if you have it. By all means, do 70 but range will drop a fair bit.

Accelerate gently

Keep temperature on 21 max. Lower if you’re comfortable. With the sun today, you might even get away with Clima Off (but turn it on again if the windows start to mist up).

Best of luck 👍
andanother11

Post by andanother11 »

In addition to the above, which is all excellent advice. I wonder if it would be useful to think about the procedure before setting off. Based upon what I've read on here, it would be something like:
1. Charge to 100% a couple of hours before departure, then unplug.
2. Set a departure time of about 30 mins before your actual departure - this will preheat the battery and the cabin (battery isn't pre heated when plugged in, strangely)
3. Plug back in, charge to 100% - the charging should keep the battery warmish
4. check tyre pressures
Enyaq iV 60, Quartz Grey, 100kW charging, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Basic, Climate Basic, Parking Basic, Chrome, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, 20" Vega. Ordered 07/21, delivered 12/21.
orrery

Post by orrery »

Just a slight modification to the above:

Set the cruise control to about 62mph (just faster than a good lorry) and then tuck in behind one. Keep the following distance relatively close, but not dangerously so - I'm not advocating tail-ending. If you get overtaken by a slightly faster lorry let it go past and get some slight distance between it and the one in front, then overtake and tuck in again.

I'm off to the Peak district tomorrow - about 110 miles, mainly M1, so I'll report back after. With my previous EVs (all Leafs), this delivers about the same m/kWh as local driving.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

toffee king wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 pm Thanks Goaty but will it reassess when I drive very sensibley to Yorkshire this afternoon?

Hope the journey went well. Just out of curiosity, did you notice an improvement in the predicted range once you got going on the motorway?
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Air density is not often mentioned, but it should be with regards to explaining reduced range in colder temperatures. It's not something we can detect easily (as humans), compared to wind and temperature, so we don't really think about it. However, the difference in air density between 20C and 0C is about 27%. So even if you ignore the effects of battery chemistry efficiency and additional power to heat the cabin, your aerodynamic drag (which is linearly proportional to air density and the single biggest loss at driving speeds) is 27% higher at 0C than 20C. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it other than reduce its impact by driving more slowly as drag is proportional to the speed squared. As a very rough guide (fag packet calc.), aero drag at 67.5 mph at 20C is similar to 60 mph at 0C. However, that doesn't account for the additional cabin heating and battery chemistry etc. Not helpful, I know, but does at least provide some hope that, come the summer, things will get better. Also helps to explain why WLPT is only useful for comparing 2 or more vehicles on a very simplistic basis and nothing more.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post