How do you plan for trips including a recharge?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
MonsieurSeahorse

Post by MonsieurSeahorse »

Just looking for practical advice. Say I need to recharge on a long journey, what’s the easiest way to plan this?

I was hoping the navigation feature on the App would do this, but all it tells me is I won’t have enough charge to complete the journey. (No s*** Sherlock :roll: )

So.. do you wing it? Plan ahead? If so using what app? Or borrow the wife’s diesel and hope she doesn’t notice?

Cheers
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Metallic, 20" Vega's, Climate Plus, Parking Pack, convenience plus.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

You could take a look at Zap-Map and ABRP 👍. These will help you plan recharge points.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Hillocklane

Post by Hillocklane »

I use ZAPMAP - just the free version, works very nicely and allows me to modify the expected range to account for cold vs warm weather realities.

Can filter based on charger speeds and either auto route or show you selections... can even say how far off route you are willing to travel.

So far has worked very nicely for us
RichR

Post by RichR »

ABRP, Zap-Map, WattsUp and also just plain Google Maps to work out a route that suits me with breaks where I want them. For example, the charger route planners can have a habit of taking you into city centres to get to plentiful chargers, but I'd prefer to stop a bit earlier on or near the motorway for example. After a while doing similar routes you'll work out where you like to stop and where you'd rather avoid. I also like to stop every 2 hours (for the loo and to stretch my legs), so try to find places with a higher chance of there being an unoccupied charger around those points. Often there'll be a 50kW charger at a supermarket just off the motorway, which is fine for a 20 minute top up whilst you get a cup of tea.

The car's satnav will also do at a pinch, but it doesn't have as much information as ABRP, Zap-Map and WattsUp. Don't feel you have to drive until the battery is nearly empty then charge it fully - you'll find that the planning apps will sometimes have you stop for just 5-10 minutes to bump it up by 20%. The lower the level of charge in the battery the more quickly it'll charge (eg you'll only get 100kW/125kW below 30%), so it often makes sense to have three or four 15 minute stops with the battery below 50% than one big hour long stop half way.

Also work out what your average range is for different times of year with your driving style (which you may change to get better economy), and how far you can go from home. I know that if I'm careful, I could get to Birmingham or Newcastle and back without having to use public chargers at all. Charging at home is always cheaper and more convenient.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
marccdavison

Post by marccdavison »

Are there limitations to what chargers Zap Map will display in the free version, for example my local Shell Garage has a charger but it's not on Zap Map which makes me concerned as to whether it's missing chargers in areas I am not familiar with. It's not a new charger it's been there for well over a year and shows up on WattsUp for example
RichR

Post by RichR »

Check you don't have any filters enabled maybe. Obviously if it's at your local Shell garage then it doesn't really matter to you (as you'd never use it being so close to home). It's the ones that are about 150-200 miles away from your house that matter :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

I just take an educated (from limited experience) guess as to how far I am likely to get on the way to my destination, take off 20 miles for safety then just simply look on google maps for local facilities for charging. I look out for charging units in restaurant car parks such as Toby Carvery so we can get a bite to eat and rest for an hour with a nearby contingency if the charger is already being used. I take note of google star ratings on chargers that I select as some people say these chargers are never working or always full etc but also conscious that people may be giving this feedback to keep people away because its their favoured spot for charging.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
foot tapper

Post by foot tapper »

We tend to check the intended route on Google maps to look for closed roads, obvious alternatives, congestion etc., then cross check that for dc fast charger availability using Zap-Map.
We ignore BP Pulse, Ecotricity and Genie Point charge networks as EVERY one has been broken/out of service when we have checked them.

Instead, we plan our charging around GridServe, Instavolt and Ionity fast chargers, with occasional use of a Pod Point 50kW.

Others have better luck with BP Pulse, we just have a 100% failure rate with them, which is indescribably disappointing.
We have yet to find a Shell fast charger, anywhere.

Interested to learn how others fare.
Best regards, FT
RichR

Post by RichR »

Oh yeah - obviously plan to use chargers you have some means of paying at. So either ones that take normal contactless credit/debit cards (eg Gridserve, Instavolt), or ones you can get an RFID card for easily (eg Shell, which covers some others such as Genie), or ones you have the app set up on your phone. And of course, if you haven't already - apply for your Skoda Powerpass card, which knocks Ionity chargers down from 69p to 29p (but only for a year)...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post