Charging rate

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
WorcesterJames

Post by WorcesterJames »

Morning!

Apologies if this has been answered previously and if it’s a silly question…

I have tried using a 22kwh public podpoint charger, but I only ever get 10kwh from it. I contacted podpoint and they were very helpful and said it was a setting in the car.
I contacted the dealership who said it might be the cable, so I ordered a 22kwh cable…..but I’m still only getting 10kwh!!

Any advice please?

James

chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

The Enyaq can’t take more than 11kw via type 2.

Can’t believe a dealer couldn’t tell you that.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yes - it's pretty clearly stated in the brochure, website and the owner's manual. I do wonder sometimes if some dealers actually take any time to read up on what they're selling.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
WorcesterJames

Post by WorcesterJames »

Thank you! The dealer said it’s ‘all very new to them too!’

What type of cable do I need to utilise these 22kwh chargers please?
RichR

Post by RichR »

Not really that new, given the Enyaq went on sale in March 2021 in the UK, which is almost a year now, and the Skoda Citigo has been on sale for 10 years. Plus there are the Superb and Octavia PHEV models which also plug in to charge using the same Type 2 connectors as the Enyaq and Citigo.

You can use the normal Type 2 cable supplied with the car, but it will only draw up to 11kW from a 22kW AC charger. Consider it like plugging your mobile phone charger into a household mains socket. The socket can supply up to 3500W, but the phone will only take about 10W maximum as that's all it's capable of using. Similarly the Enyaq's built in AC charger can only take 11kW, no matter what is available from the supply.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
gap998

Post by gap998 »

WorcesterJames wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:43 am Thank you! The dealer said it’s ‘all very new to them too!’

Just to explain - The car's battery is DC and the 22kW chargers (and the more powerful 43kW type 2 chargers) are AC, as is your home charger & 13amp plug sockets. To feed AC into your battery the car has an on-board transformer/charger to convert to DC. On the Enyaq this is 11kW max. Renault Zoe has up to 43kW (if specified) & some hybrids have up to 22kW.

The CCS rapid chargers are DC so they can feed power directly to the battery through a controller which on the Enyaq, is 100kW (iV60) or 125kW (iV80).

So in summary the Enyaq's maximum charge rates are 11kw (approx 33mph) on Type 2 AC chargers (of any power rating), using your supplied standard Type 2 lead and 100/125kw (approx 300/375mph) on DC rapid chargers, using the CCS cable connected to the charger.
Enyaq iV60 Loft 100kW Charging, Arc. Silver, Regulus 19", Heat Pump, Ass'd Drive Pack, Parking+, Drive Sport, Conv.+, Transport Pack

Order 2-11-21 - Built 22-08-22 - Collected 28-09-22 - Drive Fault 4-10-22 - Back to Dealer 18-10-22 - Fixed 17-11-22
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

gap998 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:46 am
WorcesterJames wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:43 am Thank you! The dealer said it’s ‘all very new to them too!’

Just to explain - The car's battery is DC and the 22kW chargers (and the more powerful 43kW type 2 chargers) are AC, as is your home charger & 13amp plug sockets. To feed AC into your battery the car has an on-board transformer/charger to convert to DC. On the Enyaq this is 11kW max. Renault Zoe has up to 43kW (if specified) & some hybrids have up to 22kW.

The CCS rapid chargers are DC so they can feed power directly to the battery through a controller which on the Enyaq, is 100kW (iV60) or 125kW (iV80).

So in summary the Enyaq's maximum charge rates are 11kw (approx 33mph) on Type 2 AC chargers (of any power rating), using your supplied standard Type 2 lead and 100/125kw (approx 300/375mph) on DC rapid chargers, using the CCS cable connected to the charger.
This post says it all
ENYAQ60_SE

Post by ENYAQ60_SE »

Hello,

I have just charged the car on an Instavolt 120 kWh station, used the CSS plug provided , I kept an Eye on the data showing the tranfer rate which was around 45 kWh most of the time.

I had a high charging option up to 100 kWh on my enyaq 60 , but why cant I have the higher rate?

Any comments ?

Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skoda ENYAQ 60 Suite
Quartz Grey Metallic
19" Regulus Anthracite metallic alloy wheels
100 kW - DC battery charging
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

ENYAQ60_SE wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:16 pm Hello,

I have just charged the car on an Instavolt 120 kWh station, used the CSS plug provided , I kept an Eye on the data showing the tranfer rate which was around 45 kWh most of the time.

I had a high charging option up to 100 kWh on my enyaq 60 , but why cant I have the higher rate?

Any comments ?

Thanks
Charging power is kW, stored energy is kWh.

Delivered power is dependent on many factors, the most important being the battery state of charge - the less you have, the more you get. Please see the picture.

Second, the battery temperature also affects the charging, cold battery receives less.

Third, most charging stations divide power over multiple chargers. Usually the maximum power is indicated, but might be less if many cars are charging at the same charging field. This depends on the operator and the customer usually cant see if the station has for example 200kw capacity divided for 4chargers (50kw per user) or 400kw for 2 chargers (200kw per user). Stations might also have dynamic load distributions, which might help.

Chargecurve_Skoda_Enyaq_IV_Fastned (2).png

orrery

Post by orrery »

ENYAQ60_SE wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:16 pm I have just charged the car on an Instavolt 120 kWh station, used the CSS plug provided , I kept an Eye on the data showing the tranfer rate which was around 45 kWh most of the time.

Indeed - I share the same frustration with the Enyaq. Just to put this in perspective: this is my 5th EV, having had x4 Nissan Leafs previously - and the Leaf is about the only EV that doesn't have some form of temperature control of the battery (save for a heater to prevent it freezing in some markets).
I get consistently poor charging rates on the iV80, many 50kW chargers (and I mean the very same physical chargers) deliver lower power to the Enyaq than they did to the Leaf.
There is something very wrong here - I'm hoping the fabled (possibly mythical) software update will revise the charging profiles in an upward direction.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post