getting 220 miles to show on the clock at 100% charge?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
kodedjay

Post by kodedjay »

hi there, when my enyaq first arrived it had 218 available driving miles showing. I only usually charge to 80%, but when I have had to charge to 100% if going further afield, I'm only getting 170 miles showing. This is quite a few less miles, so if there anyway to rectify this? I am doing a 110 mile journey tomorrow, which should be a doddle if I can keep the heating off, but it would be nice to have the peace of mind of the extra driving miles showing. I do charge at home mostly and I reduce the charging current to condition the battery whenever I can, but I can't get past 170 miles which isn't great. Any help much appreciated.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

The estimated range at 80% for example (or 100% if you charge to the max) will absolutely vary, depending on what type of driving you’ve been doing over the past ‘x’ hundred miles since the last charge. By ‘type’ that includes speed, acceleration, av. journey distance, hills vs flats, outside temperatures, heater settings etc.

I’ve driven a variety of journey types now, across a wide enough range of temperatures to see - and predict - a bit of a pattern.

Sometimes I like to enjoy fast acceleration and generally keeping to 70 on motorways. If the car thinks that’s how my driving style will be going forward, then on 100%, it may only give me 230 miles of predicted range for the next time I use the car ( I have an IV80 ).

However if I then drive sympathetically in warmer conditions (and keeping to 60 mph on the motorway) then instead of only having the 230 miles it initially predicted, I might actually achieve 280 miles (for example).

If that’s the case, then the next time I charge to 100% (at home on a slow charger), the car will think I will continue to drive sympathetically, and may give me a prediction of 280 miles. If I then choose to drive / accelerate enthusiastically or my journey ‘type’ isn’t conducive to efficiency, then I’ll likely achieve a fair bit less than 280 miles.

It behaves exactly as I’d expect, according to the way I’ve been driving prior to my next charge 👍

Also, there’s no need to freeze ;-) Setting the temperature between 18 and 21c should only take around 10 miles off the estimated range - even with A/C active (to help prevent the windows misting up).

Good luck 👍
Last edited by Goaty on Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
KBEE

Post by KBEE »

To be fair, the range indication on my current car - a petrol VW Tiguan - does this too. It’s entirely possible that I will actually end a journey with more indicated range than I started it with, just due to that journey being a gentle motorway cruise, rather than lots of stop start acceleration and braking.

Of course, I realise that range is more of a concern at present for electric cars because it’s not quite such a simple matter as going to the petrol station to fill up. But I do think (and hope) that as the charging infrastructure matures over the next 5-10 years, range anxiety will start to be much less of a concern.

I’m perhaps lucky that we are a two car family, so when my Enyaq arrives, we will still be keeping my wife’s petrol car, which can be the other option if we’re going to be away from home and unsure of our charging options. But for the known journeys of a regular commute to work, or mid-distance day trips, I definitely expect the Enyaq to become our “main” car.
Ordered 10th Feb 2022:

Enyaq iV 80 Sportline
Energy Blue
Climate Pack Plus, Convenience Pack Plus, Family Pack, Panoramic Sunroof

Delivered 26th July 2023!
white67

Post by white67 »

Same here, picked the car up and now I only get around 170/180. However there's a reason the readout is called a Guess O Meter!.
Had the same in my last car Golf GTE.
I'm not too concerned as the Enyaq is not intended as a long distance car.
That said, I collected it from deepest Essex and drove to Glasgow without issue, charging at handy locations on the way. I was very happy with that and am no longer concerned about finding a charger.
It requires a little planning and a mindset adjustment, but now I'm over the learning curve.

Think it must have been the same when, way back, petrol stations were less ubiquitous and cars had smaller tanks. Plan your journey - fail to plan, plan to fail!!
Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Race Blue Metallic, 21" Betria Alloys, Tow Bar Prep, Comfort Seat Basic - with Heated Seats added, Convenience Pack Plus,
Drive Pack Basic, Light & View Pack Basic, Parking Pack Plus, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

It always starts to equal itself out as you go along , has anyone reset all trip meters to see if this would bring up the full 200+ estimated range ?
KrisN

Post by KrisN »

KBEE wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:33 pm To be fair, the range indication on my current car - a petrol VW Tiguan - does this too. It’s entirely possible that I will actually end a journey with more indicated range than I started it with, just due to that journey being a gentle motorway cruise, rather than lots of stop start acceleration and braking.

Of course, I realise that range is more of a concern at present for electric cars because it’s not quite such a simple matter as going to the petrol station to fill up. But I do think (and hope) that as the charging infrastructure matures over the next 5-10 years, range anxiety will start to be much less of a concern.

I’m perhaps lucky that we are a two car family, so when my Enyaq arrives, we will still be keeping my wife’s petrol car, which can be the other option if we’re going to be away from home and unsure of our charging options. But for the known journeys of a regular commute to work, or mid-distance day trips, I definitely expect the Enyaq to become our “main” car.
I wouldn't worry KBEE, I've done many trips since I got my ix80 in July and have not found range or recharge options have got in the way of any UK trips (I'm happy to have a 20 minute coffee stop after 2-3 hours of driving)

The only time we've resorted to using my wife's diesel was to drive to the alps and that was largely because I only have 50kW charging and they charge by the minute in France...
Danj13

Post by Danj13 »

Hi. Also in the same boat with millage.
A little frustrated at the moment as an 80% charge is only getting a range of 154 miles. And when I've called skoda they pass it off on the a/c on and heated seat, radio ect but I have all these off on purpose to test the differences in performance.

Obviously we arnt going to get the 254 miles advertised. But they did say we should get about 200 miles. Which we are nowhere near.
Also that 154 will drop 10 miles within the first 30 yards. Does it every time. So we are only really getting 144 on a charge to 80%

Skoda iv60 no heat pump, wonder if someone with heat pump on a iv60 could let me no there stats please
Thank you
Iv 60, no heat pump
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

For me it makes a big difference on the < or > 7.5c, below the overhead needed to heat the battery is very significant.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I’m getting so bored of typing this. Estimated range when the car has just been charged is not the same as the actual range you’ll get - because the car cannot predict how you’re going to drive.

The estimated range only really makes sense when you’re driving in a constant way - for example at a constant speed. I’d you accelerate hard the economy will go down and it’ll calculate that if you carry on using energy at that rate you won’t get as far. Similarly if you coast down a long hill it’ll estimate a huge range.

The sane apples to petrol and diesel cars. If I drive my wife’s diesel car gently at 25mph to filling station and fill the tank, it’ll estimate a range of maybe 600 miles. But as soon as I start accelerating and doing say 60mph, it’ll drop to a more reasonable 400 miles.

It can only work on what information it has - do the average at the time you parked up and put it on charge. For many people that last few minutes will be very uneconomical start/stop urban driving with lots of accelerating. Have a look at your mi/kWh figure on the open road and when you park up and you’ll see what I mean.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ 🤣

I just paste the response I gave at the top of this particular thread, each time it comes up (once every couple of weeks). I suppose the forum does attract new members with the same concerns all the time and I know it’s not the easiest forum to navigate around or search for specific topics.

It’s a great forum in general but would benefit from common topics being pinned / or FAQ’d.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post