Electrifying . Com and the top 5 things they “HATE” about EV’s

The place to discuss everything else..
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Some interesting points from EV enthusiasts at Electrifying. com, about the main things they DON’T like about EV driving.

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

Apocryph

Post by Apocryph »

It does rather annoy me that people buy EVs to do 'motorway miles', and then bitch about range. There's a mindset change that needs to happen that in an ICE car, motorway miles are good - you get better fuel economy, it's nicer on most components of the car, that sort of thing. But in an EV it's the worst - the motors are spinning at the upper range of their speeds and are sucking huge amounts of power from the batteries. It's the equivalent of driving a petrol engine everywhere at 6,000rpm.

I've got an Enyaq on order but I've been sharing my wife's Kona EV for a while now. We use it for city driving, short trips to the shops etc. The published 'average' range is 245 miles and we're actually getting 270-280 miles on a charge. It's about making use of the battery regeneration paddles properly and using the EV in the environments they were designed for.

EVs are not 'there' yet in terms of long-range solutions, but considering how young the market is it should be applauded how quickly the market is improving - both in terms of the technology itself and the infrastructure being put into place to support them.
Ordered: Enyaq Coupe iV vRS (Hyper Green). ETA July '22. Then September '22. Now who knows?
orrery

Post by orrery »

Apocryph wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:27 am EVs are not 'there' yet in terms of long-range solutions, but considering how young the market is it should be applauded how quickly the market is improving - both in terms of the technology itself and the infrastructure being put into place to support them.

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.

I have an Enyaq iV80 and its performance on a motorway run is excellent. I'm happy to stick it on cruise control at 70mph. I'm getting 3.4 m/kWh which I'm happy with for such a big brick of a car.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

orrery wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:42 am
Apocryph wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:27 am EVs are not 'there' yet in terms of long-range solutions, but considering how young the market is it should be applauded how quickly the market is improving - both in terms of the technology itself and the infrastructure being put into place to support them.

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.

I have an Enyaq iV80 and its performance on a motorway run is excellent. I'm happy to stick it on cruise control at 70mph. I'm getting 3.4 m/kWh which I'm happy with for such a big brick of a car.

I'm getting about the same with my iV60, for mixed urban/country/motorway driving. Going to try it going across France soon.
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
Marktwiglet

Post by Marktwiglet »

I love my enyaq 80 loft ....the car is superb .... but the infrastructure isn't ready .....I've very nearly run out twice .... .electric charge points are scarce where I live ....I now have a home charge point fitted .....
orrery

Post by orrery »

Marktwiglet wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:30 am I love my enyaq 80 loft ....the car is superb .... but the infrastructure isn't ready .....I've very nearly run out twice .... .electric charge points are scarce where I live ....I now have a home charge point fitted .....

Indeed. We are in the middle of a transformation - I agree about the infrastructure, it is now improving fast but so is the number of EVs.
Having a home charge point is how it is meant to work - I'd be doubtful of recommending an EV to someone without access to off-street parking.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

orrery wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:16 am
Marktwiglet wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:30 am I love my enyaq 80 loft ....the car is superb .... but the infrastructure isn't ready .....I've very nearly run out twice .... .electric charge points are scarce where I live ....I now have a home charge point fitted .....

Indeed. We are in the middle of a transformation - I agree about the infrastructure, it is now improving fast but so is the number of EVs.
Having a home charge point is how it is meant to work - I'd be doubtful of recommending an EV to someone without access to off-street parking.
I agree. The garage petrol pump model doesn't work right now with current recharge times, availability, reliability and increase in the number of EV's to fast charger points. Although I'm a glass half full kind of person, the pragmatist in me says the situation is going to get at least a little worse before it gets better. Owning an EV without a home charger (or easy granny charge option) is going to be a frustrating experience. I'd be interested to hear other opinions, but my gut feeling is we're probably 5 years or more from being like Norway where public charging an EV seems straightforward and reliable.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post