Charging in a garage

The place to discuss everything else..
Robertsenyaq

Post by Robertsenyaq »

Hi , I’ve a charger in my garage and charge my Enyaq with the garage door shut.
The bonnet is only a few inches from the door and often while charging the cars fan comes on to cool the battery I assume.
Is there a danger of overheating , or even fire . I only charge to 80% , unless going on a long journey when I use the car straight after charging .

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Bearing in mind you could quite conceivably be charging on a hot sunny day when the temperature outside is 35oC or even higher, I don’t think that charging inside a garage poses a greater chance of fire.

That said if it’s an integral garage leading to your home directly, then it’s always a great idea to have functioning smoke detectors around the home (this is a great idea anyway- irrespective of where the Enyaq is parked).

I don’t know whether Skoda provide any specific advice regarding charging in an enclosed space.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Robertsenyaq

Post by Robertsenyaq »

Hi , yes it is in an integral garage , there’s a carbon monoxide monitor , no use for the car but I have the boiler in there too . My house has smoke detectors in the hall next to the personnel door so I guess that’s enough. I get your point about charging in hot conditions , sure it’s tested to extremes .
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Robertsenyaq wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 pm Hi , yes it is in an integral garage , there’s a carbon monoxide monitor , no use for the car but I have the boiler in there too . My house has smoke detectors in the hall next to the personnel door so I guess that’s enough. I get your point about charging in hot conditions , sure it’s tested to extremes .

Hopefully you have functioning smoke detectors upstairs too :-)
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post