London Congestion Charge - EV’s exempt but you must register first, or you’ll be charged.

The place to discuss everything else..
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi,

Although I put this in another thread about how cheap it is to travel into London with an EV, I thought it might be a good idea to raise awareness of Congestion Charging rules for EV’s, in a dedicated thread:

The London Congestion Charge of £15 daily (currently) still applies unless you’ve already registered with TFL and applied for the relevant EV discount* (which costs £10 per year) AND uploaded the V5C document to prove the Enyaq is an EV. They told me it takes about 10 days to process the information, after all relevant details have been submitted- so full rates will apply until then (there are however some exempt days for all vehicles; the Christmas period up until the end of yesterday (3rd Jan) was exempt for all).

Their system is not smart enough to acknowledge from your vehicle reg details that it’s an EV, so you will be charged the same as any car, until you’ve registered. I understand the 100% discount for EV’s may be in place until the end of 2025.

Their system is however ‘smart enough’ to automatically know the Enyaq is exempt from LEZ and ULEZ emissions charges.

*They call it the ‘Cleaner Vehicle Discount’

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/conges ... ntcmp=2133

Good luck !
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

orrery

Post by orrery »

Indeed. The word Exempt is simply incorrect. The truth is, you can make a one-off payment of £10 for 1 years access to the zone.

I've had to contact London boroughs to have misleading statements removed from their websites. Redbridge even told me I was wrong when I pointed out their error and had to eat humble pie when TfL confirmed it.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post