Does anyone else get a soaked arm when they first drive off with the window open ?

The place to discuss everything else..
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I usually open my front windows whenever I drive off my driveway onto the road, as I like to hear what’s coming as well as see (pedestrians are blocked by my neighbours’ hedge).

However if it’s been raining, as soon as I turn onto the road, I get a deluge of water pouring in through the window, onto my arm or onto the electric window buttons if I forget to close it straight away !

I think this is happening because the car is still new, so the polish on the roof helps large water globules to form - which of course slide off towards my open window if my first turn is a left one! 🤣

This hasn’t happened with any other car I’ve driven, as far as I remember.

Anyone else noticed this ?
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

Rudesing

Post by Rudesing »

I've not noticed that specific issue as I don't really drive with the window open. However, I do notice that in the same conditions all the water on the roof just rolls back and down the rear window. I think you are right that the water just forms larger drops on the roof, and then because of the gradual slope of the roof line, they very easily move backwards as soon as the car starts going forward.
Daverichardson

Post by Daverichardson »

This happens on my Jaguar XK, due to the shape of the door.

I haven’t taken delivery of my Enyaq yet, but in the case of the Jaguar it was largely avoided if the window was only open half an inch or so. However, that probably wouldn’t be enough to allow you to hear pedestrians.

We have a similar situation at the end of our drive, and I always just edge forward as I exit the drive, so that any pedestrian can see me. In my case they will hear me too (even in an EV), because I have a gravel drive.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I realised earlier this week that I'd never actually opened any of the windows in the first 350 miles of ownership. :D

But I do find that when I come to a stop at the end of the gravel road I live down, the water runs off the roof and down the windscreen. So yeah - it's probably just a side effect of having a decent amount of polish/water repellent and not enough dirt on the roof.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

Goaty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:52 am I usually open my front windows whenever I drive off my driveway onto the road, as I like to hear what’s coming as well as see (pedestrians are blocked by my neighbours’ hedge).

However if it’s been raining, as soon as I turn onto the road, I get a deluge of water pouring in through the window, onto my arm or onto the electric window buttons if I forget to close it straight away !

I think this is happening because the car is still new, so the polish on the roof helps large water globules to form - which of course slide off towards my open window if my first turn is a left one! 🤣

This hasn’t happened with any other car I’ve driven, as far as I remember.

Anyone else noticed this ?
Oh yes, I certainly do. Its a right PITA.

Remember the good old days when cars had a big roof guttering all round ? No worries then !!
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post