Private UK Registrations - Question

The place to discuss everything else..
Beninscotland

Post by Beninscotland »

Apologies in advance this is a question that I think many people will consider common knowledge, but....

I'm taking receipt of my brand new Sportline soon, first ever brand new car buy for me. I have a private reg for it, also a new experience for me.

The dealer has the reg documentation and will fit the plates. Great.

When/If, I eventually sell the vehicle and keep the plates, what registration does the vehicle get? I think it must be supplied with a standard registration at the time of being first registered, ie around now. Is that correct? Assuming so presumably the dealer should provide the documentation which details the standard registration?
Sportline
Ordered: 28/07/2021
Start Build: 13/09/2021
Status update "awaiting parts": 02/11/2021
Left factory: 14/01/2022
Departed Emden: 19/01/2022
Skoda email "Your life Electric is about to begin": 20/01/2022
Collection: 30/01/022

Susans Dad

Post by Susans Dad »

Like you Beninscotland, I transferred my private plate when it was registered by the dealer, who sorted it all out so it has never had a new standard plate. I know that's not answered your question completely but my plate was the first to be seconded to the vehicle. When I come to sell, if I do, I assume it will get whatever reg is available when I take mine with me, if I still have a licence. :lol:
Ordered 21 July 2021 - Enyaq iv 80 , Artic Silver, 21 Betria wheels, Light & view pack +, Infotainment pack +, Assisted drive pack +, Comfort seat pack +, Parking +, Climate pack +, Driving sport pack, Pan roof & now 125kW fast charge
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

Some dealers will transfer for you. But others wont, if not you need to apply to the DVLA (online) to remove and keep your private plate - currently a fee of £80.
Do this about a week before you sell your car. They immediately email you a new random but age related registration number and the document V948 which you will need to get the new plates made up to attach to your existing vehicle. ( Somewhere like Halfords will make them straight away for you).
A few days later you will receive from the post the DVLA the new V5 document with this new age related registration on it. This will allow you to legally sell the car to who ever. You should also tell your insurance company the new age related plate if you still use the car before you sell it.
You will also receive through the post the private number plate retention document V778 from the DVLA which you can then offer to the dealer to register your new car.

Hope that helps.
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
Beninscotland

Post by Beninscotland »

tiger tony wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:01 am Some dealers will transfer for you. But others wont, if not you need to apply to the DVLA (online) to remove and keep your private plate - currently a fee of £80.
Do this about a week before you sell your car. They immediately email you a new random but age related registration number and the document V948 which you will need to get the new plates made up to attach to your existing vehicle. ( Somewhere like Halfords will make them straight away for you).
A few days later you will receive from the post the DVLA the new V5 document with this new age related registration on it. This will allow you to legally sell the car to who ever. You should also tell your insurance company the new age related plate if you still use the car before you sell it.
You will also receive through the post the private number plate retention document V778 from the DVLA which you can then offer to the dealer to register your new car.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Tiger Tony that absolutely does answer the question. Much obliged 👍
Sportline
Ordered: 28/07/2021
Start Build: 13/09/2021
Status update "awaiting parts": 02/11/2021
Left factory: 14/01/2022
Departed Emden: 19/01/2022
Skoda email "Your life Electric is about to begin": 20/01/2022
Collection: 30/01/022
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

Beninscotland wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:47 am
tiger tony wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:01 am Some dealers will transfer for you. But others wont, if not you need to apply to the DVLA (online) to remove and keep your private plate - currently a fee of £80.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Tiger Tony that absolutely does answer the question. Much obliged 👍
I've done it a few times now with my private plate when I buy a new vehicle, and non of my local VAG dealers seem to want to do it. They all say its best if I sort it first.

I think its because its less faf for them, and they can then get my old part exchange car on their forecourt quickly to sell lol.

My last car was only on their forecourt 3 days after I px with them and it sold ! Kerching !
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

If you do it yourself the Enyaq will get a registration plate fitted with v5 issued. Then you use your retention certificate to apply to put your private plate on the new car. When you eventually sell the Enyaq years later, you’ll want to take your private plate off. At this point the Enyaq gets the registration the dealer put on it so you just put the old plates back on. So if you have an insurance company that doesn’t charge extra for a plate change it can be handy just to sort it yourself in your own time with no change in cost
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post