Charging Issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Philh

Post by Philh »

Having some issues with charging the Enyaq. Without going into detail I have had issues getting a home charger, still not fitted and had the car since 24th January. Am using the charger at work, which is fine apart from our plant yard being half a mile from the offices. For the last two weeks, I have inserted cable into the wall charger, then into the car. The wall charger goes to green and the light next to the car plug goes from white, to green, then flashing green. I then walk the half mile to the office and usually return four or five hours later. The first time two weeks ago, I left the car with 113 miles range and when I returned five hours later it had 116 miles range, the infotainment screen said the cable was disconnected, which it wasn't. I then decided to add the Skoda App onto my phone so I could check. The next time that I charged, I plugged in the wall and all lights went to green, so I did the walk to the office. About an hour later I checked via the App and it hadn't started charging. I walked back, pulled out the charger cable, put it back and everything was fine. The same thing has happened again this morning, all plugged in fine and green light flashing, but on checking 30 minutes later it was not charging. This time I walked back unlocked the car and the screen again said the car was unplugged, but then it just started charging without me doing anything. Am I doing something wrong or should I visit the dealer?

RichR

Post by RichR »

Unlikely to be the car. But some EVSEs do have issues with some makes of car. Could you tell us what make/model the EVSE is? There are known issues with OHME for example that have been fixed with firmware updates on the EVSE.

I assume the car charges successfully on other AC chargers, eg at supermarkets?
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Also depends on how old this charge unit is, are you the only one having issues do others at your office/yard use it without a problem ?
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I once had what I assume may have been a little bit of grit causing issues. A sharp blow on the contacts seemed to resolve the issue.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Philh

Post by Philh »

The charger is quite old, not sure what make, but the electrician was there last week. Hopefully I get the home charger fitted on Friday, all I can say is Octopus are not the people to get chargers from as they sublet the fitting to a company in Doncaster who then sublet it to local companies and they all don't speak to each other. To add insult to injury, the charge point has been fitted on my garage wall for 4 weeks but not connected, due to an isolator, which apparently is not required anyway. Just got the car and at 80% only has 161 miles range, when I first charged it the range at 80% was 203 miles. Guess I'm driving it like a normal car, which it doesn't like.
orrery

Post by orrery »

It may be the charge point reacting to the way the car suspends charging when you unlock it.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

If the work charger is a smart charger how it behaves will be contingent upon how the previous user left it: whether or not they cleared their settings when unplugging. Again if it is smart do you have an app for the charger so that you can take control? If dumb when charging successfully the green should gently pulsate rather than flash… plugging the charger end in first (to emulate tethered) is a sensible tip, then plugging into the car, listening for ‘latching’, whilst observing light colour, and infotainment screen (from outside).

Fossilnot
Philh

Post by Philh »

The works charger is definitely a dumb one. The issue happened again this morning. Plugged lead into car, then plugged into the wall, heard the click as the cable locked in and the green light started to pulsate. Got my bag out of the back of the car and locked it. Before I walked away, I checked the App on the phone and it said "cable not connected". I unlocked the car, immediately locked it again and it started to charge.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post