Towbar fitment at a dealer - cost

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Stunts

Post by Stunts »

Hi all,

Having been informed by Skoda that my Enyaq (60 with towbar prep) was at the dealer I asked them for a price of a towbar to be fitted. They said they don't fit towbars, only service and MOT vehicles :( (Bristol Street Motors, Aylesbury) So I contacted Skoda UK and they chased a dealer down that would fit one for me. Another local dealer quoted a price. £1500 - I kid you not. So, lesson here is, don't even bother ordering a car with towbar prep - it's a complete waste of time and money. Just order a factory fit towbar. I was labouring under the illusion that a third party towbar could be fitted - it may yet be so. If I can confirm this (I know that Brink supply a specific one for the Enyaq, ID4 and Audi Q4) then I'll update here.

RichR

Post by RichR »

I seem to recall that this is similar for Subaru - towbar prep adds the wiring and control unit, but the cost of having the actual towbar itself fitted at the factory really isn't that much more in the long run.

Not having the prep may result in the car not having any towing capacity on the VIN plate, which means it can never legally have a towbar fitted. But I think UK cars may well get the towing capacity added even without the prep - certainly on my (non-towbar prep) Sportline, the VIN plate shows a 2649kg Maximum Permissible Gross Weight and a 3649kg Maximum Permissible Towed Weight. So although I don't have the Skoda control unit and wiring present, I could get an aftermarket towbar fitted if they had something to interface with the car's electronics (the car needs to know if it's got a trailer attached so it can disable things like rear parking sensors, radars etc).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Stunts

Post by Stunts »

I believe that as yours is an 80 then the towbar prep is standard. On the 60's it isn't. We didn't go for factory fit as we couldn't afford it at that point, now seems a flawed decision :/ Guess the bikes will have to go on the roof for the time being.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Towbar prep is still listed as an option for all models in the brochure. I suspect they gave the towing weight on the VIN as it's easier than not doing so. But that might not be the case in all countries.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
GavinT

Post by GavinT »

Stunts wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm Another local dealer quoted a price. £1500 - I kid you not. So, lesson here is, don't even bother ordering a car with towbar prep - it's a complete waste of time and money.
Many years ago I overheard someone getting a quote for £3,000 to fit a towbar to a Mercedes. A few years later £1,000 to fit a towbar to a Land Rover Discovery Sport didn't seem so bad.

I got the retractable tow bar on my Enyaq to carry a bicycle rack. Really like it being completely tucked away out of sight when not in use, and pops out ready for use at little more than the touch of a button.
Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Brilliant Silver (Packages: Family Plus, Climate Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat, Assisted Drive, Parking, Transport, Tow Bar). Delivered Dec 2021.
Bother7

Post by Bother7 »

Stunts wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm Hi all,

Having been informed by Skoda that my Enyaq (60 with towbar prep) was at the dealer I asked them for a price of a towbar to be fitted. They said they don't fit towbars, only service and MOT vehicles :( (Bristol Street Motors, Aylesbury) So I contacted Skoda UK and they chased a dealer down that would fit one for me. Another local dealer quoted a price. £1500 - I kid you not. So, lesson here is, don't even bother ordering a car with towbar prep - it's a complete waste of time and money. Just order a factory fit towbar. I was labouring under the illusion that a third party towbar could be fitted - it may yet be so. If I can confirm this (I know that Brink supply a specific one for the Enyaq, ID4 and Audi Q4) then I'll update here.
Give your local Indespension branch a call. We've got factory fitted on the Enyaq, but they sorted out our previous car for ~£400 for a detachable towbar
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

Has anyone had an aftermarket towbar fitted yet? I see the Brink ones come with an invisible bumper cut out - does anyone know what that is? I don’t fancy cutting a hole in the bumper.
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

So I had a quote back from the local Skoda dealer for fitting a towbar without any factory fitted prep to the car - drum roll for the cost!

£2079 - apparently 10 hours labour.

The aftermarket Brink one costs £692 fitted. The bumper cutout is underneath so is invisible from the roadside and the towbar itself is detachable.

Currently considering it as Brittany Ferries has no space to take bikes mounted on the roof on our ferry to France!
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

IanEV wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:46 pm Currently considering it as Brittany Ferries has no space to take bikes mounted on the roof on our ferry to France!
You could probably buy the bikes and a golden saddle for that amount.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

Just read about someone who had a towbar fitted for 850e incl parts. No tow bar prep when ordered.

It actually was cheaper then. No electric hiding option on it though

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post