What if my Smart Meter does not connect to electricity supplier

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Ruud

Post by Ruud »

I have just had British Gas (actually called Scottish Gas here) install a new smart meter (SMETS2). I did this so that I can have a charging point installed before my Enyaq arrives (ETA January 2023). The installer said, even before he started the job, that it was likely it would not work. He explained that the smart meter uses radio waves to send meter readings to the supplier, not the wifi from our internet router. He was right! I live in an old crofter’s cottage with very thick walls and mobile signal is not great inside. The smart meter is able to connect to our WiFi, there is a message on the display that says ‘HAN Complete’. HAN stands for Home Area Network.

Now my question is: will the charging point work ok? Is anybody using a charging point with a smart meter that does not work properly?
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Heat Pump, Climate Package Plus. Ordered 14 January 2022. Picked up 31 May 2023.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi,

My PodPoint charger is completely independent of my Smets 2 smart meter - so even if my smart meter failed, the PodPoint charger would still operate. In fact there’s no interaction between them whatsoever, except for the smart meter registering the electricity used for charging; but it only does that by measuring the entire consumption in the house.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
retsil

Post by retsil »

Ruud wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:07 pm I have just had British Gas (actually called Scottish Gas here) install a new smart meter (SMETS2). I did this so that I can have a charging point installed before my Enyaq arrives (ETA January 2023). The installer said, even before he started the job, that it was likely it would not work. He explained that the smart meter uses radio waves to send meter readings to the supplier, not the wifi from our internet router. He was right! I live in an old crofter’s cottage with very thick walls and mobile signal is not great inside. The smart meter is able to connect to our WiFi, there is a message on the display that says ‘HAN Complete’. HAN stands for Home Area Network.

Now my question is: will the charging point work ok? Is anybody using a charging point with a smart meter that does not work properly?
The Home Area Network is the link between your meter and In Home Display (IHD), it doesn’t use your home Wi-Fi at all. You can move the display closer to the meter and it may connect then.

The IHD operators independently from the meter for reporting readings back to the supplier, you’ll need to check with them that it’s be commissioned correctly if the IHD won’t work. Or download the app from Scottish Power to see if it’s picking up the half hourly reads.
Sportline 80x Velvet Red
hergus

Post by hergus »

You might have a problem if you wanted to use a tariff that offers cheaper off peak electricity, and this is the direction that the electricity industry is heading: dynamic charging. Also, if you are hoping for a grant towards the cost of charger installation, this is predicated on the charger being 'smart', which means the potential for avoiding the use of electricity at peak times. The installer of the charger applies for the grant, so that might put them in an 'interesting' position.
Enyaq 60 Lodge, Arctic Silver. Climate package. Transport package. Towbar prep. Zappi charger with solar panels.
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

Good luck with British Gas, their smart meters and apps have either not been updating or showing incorrect usage since 16 February. There remains a warning on their App not to rely upon the £ figure shown as it may show old tariff data - mine still does after 3 months - and only to use the kWh as correct. How such a major company can let this happen is beyond belief. I still have a week starting 16 February when apparently used zero gas and electric!
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
Powerstar

Post by Powerstar »

I had similar issues when Shell installed a SMETS2 for me, only advising that due to the poor mobile signal in our area it would not be able to offer the Economy 7 that I was previously on.
After much ‘discussion’ they advised me to seek resolution through Resolver, which worked. In the end, after multiple visits, they installed a more sensitive aerial and now we have Economy 7 again.
Last edited by Powerstar on Sat May 14, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

The UK really got the design very wrong.
Here the single French system (Linky) is installed by the distributer, not the supplier and it all works via CPL. So not problem if electricity is live.
Copes with at least six remotely programmable taffis with 30 min resolution. 95% of properties installed in 2020
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
orrery

Post by orrery »

Perchede wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:46 pm The UK really got the design very wrong...
In fact, the UK did have a system that would do that, designed by Thorn. It was running back in the 1990s, using spread spectrum power line comms. But it required a comms unit back at the substation and the electricity industry wouldn't put up the investment to do it.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
orrery

Post by orrery »

orrery wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:08 am
Perchede wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:46 pm The UK really got the design very wrong...

In fact, the UK did have a system that would do that, designed by Thorn. It was running back in the 1990s, using spread spectrum power line comms. But it required a comms unit back at the substation and the electricity industry wouldn't put up the investment to do it.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

You do t need a smart meter to have a charge point at all, the only time you "need" a smart meter is if your signing up to one of the suppliers "EV Rates" where you get cheap Tarrif for 4/6 hours in the early hours and then get ripped off during the day.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post