How the heat pump works

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

TheCorm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 pm How do you tell if an Enyaq has a heat pump?

(Like if you weren't aware of the option was added originally)
This thread has images of under the bonnet of without, and with heat pump. The visible difference seems to be a labels showing different refrigerants.

(forgot the llink)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=641
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)

TheCorm

Post by TheCorm »

Ah cool, I shall have a look thanks :)
HarryHuk wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:35 pm
TheCorm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 pm How do you tell if an Enyaq has a heat pump?

(Like if you weren't aware of the option was added originally)
This thread has images of under the bonnet of without, and with heat pump. The visible difference seems to be a labels showing different refrigerants.

(forgot the llink)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=641
iv60 in Race Blue, Loft interior with 20" Vega wheels - Ordered Sep21, Delivered 25/07/22
Packs - Comfort seat plus, Family, Climate plus, Drive Sport, Assisted drive, Parking, Convenience, Heat Pump.
RichR

Post by RichR »

As above - the biggest giveaway is the if you have a heat pump you'll have CO2 as the refrigerant. The compressor is also much larger and there's more pipework and heat exchanger modules, but the sticker on the panel is much easier to see :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
TheCorm

Post by TheCorm »

Bonnet opened and there it is...744, all good :)
iv60 in Race Blue, Loft interior with 20" Vega wheels - Ordered Sep21, Delivered 25/07/22
Packs - Comfort seat plus, Family, Climate plus, Drive Sport, Assisted drive, Parking, Convenience, Heat Pump.
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

TheCorm wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:31 am Bonnet opened and there it is...744, all good :)

Same :)
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
BAYMAX

Post by BAYMAX »

Hello everyone, great write up on the HP!

I added the HP to my order because I seen a video on YouTube testing the id3 with and without the heat pump. It showed faster recharge time, and improve efficiency by 10% at 0⁰degree.

Background - I live in Scotland, it's a company car and had to be the 60 iV :roll:
So I will definitely be taking advantage of all it's features :D totally worth it
Enyaq 60 -Moon White- 19" Proteus Wheels, Loft design pack

Assisted Drive Pack +, Convenience Pack +, Climate Pack +, Light and View Pack +
Comfort seat Pack, Parking Pack, Drive Pack, Transport pack, Family pack
120 kW charging, Heat pump
leelazer203

Post by leelazer203 »

Hi All

I got my Enyaq a couple of weeks ago now. I opted for the heat pump. This may be a silly question but does the heat pump only work when you have the A/C switched on? Or does it work all the time for heating?
RichR

Post by RichR »

It does both. Worth reading my description as to how it works to see how. In effect it takes heat from one area (say the hot battery or motor) and dumps it sonewhere else (eg the cabin or outside).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
leelazer203

Post by leelazer203 »

Hi RichR

I have read the whole thing. 👍 I work at the Climate center so I deal with domestic and commercial A/C heat pumps every day. I just couldn't see any mention of if the A/C had to be on for the heat pump to work. My thinking was that, with the A/C off the PTC heater would provide heat and with the A/C on it would be a combination of the PTC and heat pump.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Consider it a complete system, including the two PTC heater units. The a/c setting only controls whether the system dehumidifies and cools the cabin air - the compressor is in use for heating or cooling (or indeed both at the same time). You can tell when the cabin PTC heater is on as you get that distinctive hairdryer smell - generally on a heat pump equipped model you'll only get it when the car is just started, but it'll switch over to using waste heat from the motor once that's hot enough (say about 10 minutes of average driving).

The battery heater PTC again is only used when there isn't sufficient heat that it can take from elsewhere - for example when pre-heating with a departure timer when the car is locked and unoccupied.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post