Plug in sequence

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

I have a Project EV charge point, which has been pretty rubbish in terms of maintaining Wi-Fi connection, and I'm replacing it with something better next week.

I've always set the schedule for cheap night time charging via the charger, as the scheduled charge in the car has never worked. With my wife's Mach-E I set the schedule on the Project EV app and then just plug into the car - the car does the handshake straightaway and then waits and charges at the right time, simple!

With my Enyaq, if I do the same the charging light on the car will flash for a while and then turn red - it doesn't complete the hand shake with the charger, and then fails to start charging. I therefore have to plug the car in, wait for it to start charging, then turn off charging via the Project EV app and then set up the schedule (without removing the charging cable).

I have other electrical glitches with random opening roof light, internal lights not working, remote locking not working at times.

Curious to see if anyone else has to follow the same plug in sequence, or possibly another problem with my Enyaq?

Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

My charger (a modified Rolec) is powered off by a wifi smart switch during the day.

When i plug it in to the car while powered off, i get the same thing as you described with the red light and a red charger on the in car display.

However at midnight when the power is applied, its always started charging just fine.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
RichR

Post by RichR »

Same behaviour with my PodPoint scheduled to charge from 00:00-05:00 only. PodPoint is in 'wait' mode (yellow LED) during the day. Plug car in, you can hear relays click and the car goes to red light on the charge port. Then at the scheduled time it changes to green and starts charging. In the morning the light on the car is green or white (depending on whether it reached the set percentage), and I can unplug it.

It might be worth asking Project EV (or looking on forums for that charger) about any known issues with MEB platform cars (ie VW/Audi/Skoda/Cupra/some Ford). It's possible there's a firmware update needed. Although there is a standard for how EVs are supposed to behave with delayed charging, it seems different manufacturers of cars and EVSEs interpret the standard in different ways.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

Thanks. Hopefully just an issue with the charger then, which will be consigned to the scrap heap next week anyway.
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

I too have Enyaq + Project EV. The Enyaq MySkoda app has never offered me the opportunity for delayed charging. I'm on ME3.0
However the Project EV app has worked flawlessly for me since the very first time I used it.

My procedure is -
Plug cable in to car.
Plug cable in to Project EV socket.
End.

I previously, once, set-up the time period I wanted to use overnight using the Project EV "Pre-set Charging" option.
I specified the start-time and the duration. I also ticked the "Every day" box.

So now the Project EV charger has a time-period it will use every day, provided there's a car at the other end of the cable.
I appreciate different people have different needs and experiences but this does everything I could ask for and has never failed.
ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

Walter Eagle wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:22 pm I too have Enyaq + Project EV. The Enyaq MySkoda app has never offered me the opportunity for delayed charging. I'm on ME3.0
However the Project EV app has worked flawlessly for me since the very first time I used it.

My procedure is -
Plug cable in to car.
Plug cable in to Project EV socket.
End.

I previously, once, set-up the time period I wanted to use overnight using the Project EV "Pre-set Charging" option.
I specified the start-time and the duration. I also ticked the "Every day" box.

So now the Project EV charger has a time-period it will use every day, provided there's a car at the other end of the cable.
I appreciate different people have different needs and experiences but this does everything I could ask for and has never failed.
I've just tried again, but even with the timed schedule set up on the app first, as soon as I plug the Enyaq in it will automatically start charging straightaway. It will start counting down the 4hr time slot from that point, rather than waiting until 12.30am.

I have to then stop the charger manually through the Project EV app (which only works on the 3rd/4th attempt) and then reapply the time schedule to get it to work properly.

Just not worth the stress, I'll just get it replaced this week as planned, at least I'm not paying for it!
Walter Eagle

Post by Walter Eagle »

I guess this is one of these things where, if the two of us were side-by-side and compared settings in apps and cars, we'd get to the bottom of it straightaway.
I've been quite pleased with the Project EV unit overall. I was getting other electrical work done at the same time as this was installed. The installers were very informative and (to me, at least) credible in their set-up. Your verdict of "pretty rubbish" for the wifi connection doesn't tie in with my experience at all.

For various reasons, my wife has never driven or charged the Enyaq since we got it 6 months ago. But that will be changing. Yesterday she asked me to show her what was needed for charging. She, first time user, plugged the cable in to the car, plugged the other end in to the Project EV, I locked the car and we walked away. I was quaking, thinking, "God, what if it doesn't work this time!?" However, woke up this morning, checked the Project EV app records, and there it was: kicked off charging at 00:32, stopped at 04:32, 28.27kWh of energy transferred. I'm doing to deduct half-a-point for being two minutes late in starting charging, so 9½-out-of10!

I've never tinkered with any other setting inside the car. I've seen references in other posts to setting a location, and a preferred departure time etc, but I've done none of this. I'm assuming the car is sitting there, ready to receive charge immediately at all times thanks to my non-interference. However, it's only when the Project EV device begins to deliver energy that the actual charging commences.

I hope things work out OK for you with the "something better". Good luck!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post