Intelligent Octopus (yes, another one)

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Deej

Post by Deej »

Hiya

Just had an email from octopus about my go contract coming to an end in October. I have an 60.

I've got 3 options:
1. Intelligent Octopus
2. Continue with octopus go (but at a different p/kWh rate)
3. Move to standard flexible octopus rate (bleurgh)

IO seems a no brainer for me, longer charging window on the cheap rate, better peak rate etc etc

Where the complication lies is that we are a 2 EV household with my OH having a Merc EQA. Her car is not currently supported by IO and bizarrely doesn't have scheduling capability (come on MB, must do better!). We currently have a Sync EV charger but this is being changed to a pod point soon.

Presume I can set my IV60 up on IO to get the cheap rate and set the schedule on the charger to kick in between 2330 and 0530 when the OH wants to charger her car?
Enyaq IV60 Ecosuite | Velvet Red | Family Pack Plus | Chrome Pack | 21" Betria | Pano Roof

Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Charge Merc between 11:30 and 5:30 most of time just do Enyaq occasionally during this period to keep rate active.
If you swap over after Merc done it will charge under OI schedules up till 10:30am if needed at off peak rate. You can also use any other appliances during this extra time at off peak rate.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
jimmyb78

Post by jimmyb78 »

Yes pretty easy to use as a 2 car household. We charge the Enyaq on IO then if my bmw i3 needs a charge we just put it on a timer on the charger to get the 11.30-5.30am cheap period.

You just need to make sure to remove the timers if you want to charge on IO as it can interfere.
iv80 loft, Arctic Silver electric towbar, 125kw fast charging, kids pack
Ordered Early July 2021 through Hitachi lease
Deej

Post by Deej »

jimmyb78 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:28 am Yes pretty easy to use as a 2 car household. We charge the Enyaq on IO then if my bmw i3 needs a charge we just put it on a timer on the charger to get the 11.30-5.30am cheap period.

You just need to make sure to remove the timers if you want to charge on IO as it can interfere.
Ah ok, so when I charge the enyaq I don't need to have a schedule on the car or the charger, IO will do it automatically

If the OH wants to charge just set the schedule on the charger to only charge between the 2330-0530 period

That right?
Enyaq IV60 Ecosuite | Velvet Red | Family Pack Plus | Chrome Pack | 21" Betria | Pano Roof
Deej

Post by Deej »

Ken3966 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:29 am Charge Merc between 11:30 and 5:30 most of time just do Enyaq occasionally during this period to keep rate active.
If you swap over after Merc done it will charge under OI schedules up till 10:30am if needed at off peak rate. You can also use any other appliances during this extra time at off peak rate.
Got it πŸ‘
Choppsie

Post by Choppsie »

Deej wrote: ↑Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:40 am Hiya

Just had an email from octopus about my go contract coming to an end in October. I have an 60.

I've got 3 options:
1. Intelligent Octopus

IO seems a no brainer for me, longer charging window on the cheap rate, better peak rate etc etc

Where the complication lies is that we are a 2 EV household with my OH having a Merc EQA. Her car is not currently supported by IO and bizarrely doesn't have scheduling capability (come on MB, must do better!). We currently have a Sync EV charger but this is being changed to a pod point soon.

Presume I can set my IV60 up on IO to get the cheap rate and set the schedule on the charger to kick in between 2330 and 0530 when the OH wants to charger her car?
I have an Enyaq and my partner has a MB EQA and we managed to find the EQA on the octopus Intelligence App, how strange?? We set hers up just fine and we charge the cars on alternate nights
Deej

Post by Deej »

Choppsie wrote: ↑Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:51 pm

I've got 3 options:
1. Intelligent Octopus

I have an Enyaq and my partner has a MB EQA and we managed to find the EQA on the octopus Intelligence App, how strange?? We set hers up just fine and we charge the cars on alternate nights
That's odd, octopus said it wasn't compatible when I looked
jimmyb78

Post by jimmyb78 »

Deej wrote: ↑Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:10 am
Ah ok, so when I charge the enyaq I don't need to have a schedule on the car or the charger, IO will do it automatically

If the OH wants to charge just set the schedule on the charger to only charge between the 2330-0530 period

That right?
That's right yes, IO will sometimes set periods outside of 2330-0530 to complete the charge so you need to make sure no timers are set.

If it does set times outside this your household electricity is at the cheap price at these times too.
iv80 loft, Arctic Silver electric towbar, 125kw fast charging, kids pack
Ordered Early July 2021 through Hitachi lease
Choppsie

Post by Choppsie »

Deej wrote: ↑Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:00 pm
Choppsie wrote: ↑Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:51 pm

I've got 3 options:
1. Intelligent Octopus

That's odd, octopus said it wasn't compatible when I looked
There are two Mercedes in the manufacturer list, the first is for trucks and vans, the second lists pretty much all of the Mercedes EV car/SUV range
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

Do you need to charge both cars most nights? Best to alternate if you can.

You cannot set a charger schedule if you are letting IO schedule smart charges. In my experience most smart charges are scheduled during the 11:30-05:30 off-peak slot.

You may find it easier to disable smart charging (in IO app) and using the charger to schedule during the standard off-peak - but you can only do one car at a time! In addition if you do this you will need to enable smart charging at least once a month to stay within IO terms. & conditions.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post