Running costs

New to the Skoda Enyaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Richie69

Post by Richie69 »

I've just ordered a Sportline Plus 80X

I have a tiguan 1.5tis petrol

At the moment cheap petrol is £1.53 a litre and on average over 7 days I have to put £50 in to see me through a week.

£50 gives me around 350 Miles on the car

Hoping to get 200 miles from the Enyaq on a full 80% charge and using British Gas EV Tarrif overnight of 9.5p pkwh I worked out a full 77kw charge would be 77kwh x 9.5p = £7.31 (of course I'll probably just plug it in each night anyway)

Is that right ??
If yes then my £50 a week Fuel could be as low as £14.60 in Electric

Unless I've made an error in my calculations

comment23

Post by comment23 »

Richie69 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:38 pm I've just ordered a Sportline Plus 80X

At the moment cheap petrol is £1.53 a litre and on average over 7 days I have to put £50 in to see me through a week.

Hoping to get 200 miles from the Enyaq on a full 80% charge and using British Gas EV Tarrif overnight of 9.5p pkwh I worked out a full 77kw charge would be 77kwh x 9.5p = £7.31 (of course I'll probably just plug it in each night anyway)

Is that right ??

If you’re charging to 80% then you’ll only need 77 x 0.8 kWh of charge to your 200 miles. So possibly even cheaper than you imagine. 80% for 200 miles is what I get on a good day in summer from my iV60 (58kWh battery) so you should be fine.
Electric since December 2022
spinna1969

Post by spinna1969 »

Richie69 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:38 pm I've just ordered a Sportline Plus 80X

Is that right ??

Hi. Looking at the difference in consumption between winter and summer and using your electricity rate I would approximate 3ppm summer, 4ppm winter.
This should work out at weekly £10.50 summer, £14.00 winter.
Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

Simple. After 35000km I'm averaging little less than 20kWh/100km. During winter I have studded tyres. Weekdays mostly city driving and 1-2 times a month I drive a 500-1000km trip. I don't have home charging, so only public chargers for me. I mainly use local slow charger for 0.15e/kWh and during long trips up to 0.45/kWh fast chargers.

At minimum I pay 3euros and maximum 9euros per 100km driven.

Previously had a Kamiq with 6litres/100km consumption, equaling 12e/100km mixed driving.

Anywyay I put it, EV is cheaper
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

It’s much cheaper, at least when home charged. With my VRs charged off peak at 7.5p a kW it is between 1.9 and 2.5p a mile. Best long trip consumption I get, cruising at 65 mph max is 3.9 in summer. Pushing on in colder weather I have seen 2.7 on a 60 mile trip. Middle of winter it may be worse.
Why are you with British Gas when others are much cheaper?
My Karoq tdi was costing about 16p a mile when I changed it.

The real problem is away from home charging. When I stay at my daughters it is 28p a kW with a granny charger. Nearby Tesla site charges 54p a kW, other site vary up to £1 a kW! You can reduce these with a yearly subscriptions paid monthly, but as I mainly charge at home I would be wasting money most months. Hence 25 to 30p a mile away from home or twice an ice cars cost or more per mile.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

Even with standard rate domestic electricity the Enyaq is working out cheaper than my previous Tiguan, however dividing the unit cost by the reported miles/kWh can give an optimistic mileage cost. Not all the energy drawn by the charger will end up as energy stored in the battery to be used as "fuel". For example the published efficiency of the AX4 High Voltage battery Charging Unit 1 is 94% and there will also be energy losses elsewhere in the system, such as that due to cable resistance.
Over 13 weeks and 3700 miles before switching to Intelligent Octopus the car has averaged 4.6 miles/kWh from the battery but the total energy paid for to charge the car has averaged 4.2 miles/kWh with an average cost per mile of 7.5p (90% domestic charging and 10% public) and an average charging efficiency of approximately 91%, although the efficiency varies depending on the charging conditions. This efficiency is slightly better than other cars I have data for. Over the winter the costs would rise but I would expect home charging to remain cheaper than using an equivalent ICE vehicle.

Having switched to Intelligent Octopus I expect the Enyaq to be cheaper than the Tiguan, even if public charging at rapid/ultra-rapid chargers increased to 20% and half the charging was away from home. In practice I expect to do much better than this.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

I don’t like the idea people just use off peak rate to work out running cost.

What about your peak tariff compared with say capped rate. Your house still needs leccy to run. By having an EV tariff you are going to run up the house leccy bill.

And the comparison is possibly even worse when compared with a tracker tariff where leccy rate has been around 15p consistently over the last few months.

It’s not that straight forward. To be fair and for comparison purposes against ICE cars, one should only use the capped rate in calculations really as that’s the most common home tariff and likely to be for someone who is switching from ICE to EV.

In terms comparison it is simple

ICE 30mpg efficiency for a yearly 10,000 miles means 333.33 gallons of fuel which is 1513litres and based on current petrol price of £1.53/L that’s annual fuel cost of £2315.

For an EV with efficiency of 4miles/kWh the same mileage is 2500kwh and therefore based on 27p/kWh gives annual leccy price £675

In essence, EV returns 4x fuel cost saving at worst case scenario assuming you have home charging facilities.

If you charge solely off super chargers and ultra chargers then your running cost will be very similar to an ICE car.

Also I think Tesla is king for efficiency in the class of mid SUV sized car ie the model Y. I think it returns close to 5miles/kWh which means your yearly running cost is £540 which is almost 1/5 of the ICE.

98% people buying EVs ignore efficiency of the car I believe. Which is almost the second most important factor after range when deciding EV…
Richie69

Post by Richie69 »

I've ordered the Sportline 80x ..
I worked out even if I only get 200 miles a charge (80%) it would cost me on Octopus less than £15 a week compared to my petrol tsi 1.5cc at £50 a week
spinna1969

Post by spinna1969 »

Richie69 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:09 pm I've ordered the Sportline 80x ..
I worked out even if I only get 200 miles a charge (80%) it would cost me on Octopus less than £15 a week compared to my petrol tsi 1.5cc at £50 a week
Hi.
If you’re on a standard variable tariff about 25p a unit this would be correct. On intelligent octopus this would work out at less than £5 a week if my maths is right. 😉
Dad

Post by Dad »

Ricky, using the IO tariff of 7.5p to calculate the running costs is absolutely fair. The days of having a cheap off peak rate means your peak rate is pushed up have gone (on Octopus anyway). Our peak rate with Octopus is almost identical to the standard tariff.

Also we have moved as much of our domestic high usage to the off peak 7.5p rate which adds up to even more overall savings. Washing machine, dryer, dishwasher etc. it’s easy to set on a timer.

Our Enyaq 60 is costing £4.50 to fill up from empty for an average of around 200 miles. Brilliant.

I think it would make a significant difference if your regular usage would require you to use public chargers. As clearly that makes things more expensive. Luckily for many of us that is the exception to the rule so it doesn’t really matter.
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post